• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED!)
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Posted this in the OA section, but for anyone who doesn't venture over there, I've started a new podcast series all about original comic art which will feature artists and collectors. Hopefully informational (especially for newbies) and entertaining for anyone interested in OA.

The first episode is up!:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

My guest is longtime dealer Albert Moy. Albert talks about how he got started as a collector and dealer, his thoughts on the GREEN LANTERN #76 sale/auction, how he brought the DARK KNIGHT RETURNS art to the market, where he sees our hobby in the future, and more!

The second episode features super-collector David Mandel (writer/producer/director of SEINFELD and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM) and will be coming in January, along with a video featurette where we showcase five major pieces from his collection.

More artists and collectors are being lined up. Hope you all enjoy!

Edited by Nexus

Felix,

Very interesting interview and future perspective on OA with Albert. We were both teens when I wholesaled 14 John Byrne OA pages to him circa 1983. :preach:

I remember the Frank Miller Dark Knight OA pages being sold at SDCC with at the time krack-head asking prices (panel pages for $350-400), splashes for $800-900. Was double the market value of Miller DD pages at the time, and I thought the inking needed to be tighter over Miller's pencils on Dark Knight series 1 so I passed on the splash. doh!

Thanks everyone!

Felix,

Very interesting interview and future perspective on OA with Albert. We were both teens when I wholesaled 14 John Byrne OA pages to him circa 1983. :preach:

I remember the Frank Miller Dark Knight OA pages being sold at SDCC with at the time krack-head asking prices (panel pages for $350-400), splashes for $800-900. Was double the market value of Miller DD pages at the time, and I thought the inking needed to be tighter over Miller's pencils on Dark Knight series 1 so I passed on the splash. doh!

This is good stuff, thanks! Always enjoy hearing firsthand accounts like this.

Felix,

But did you get a yellow discount hm

Ouch Al :) I'm sure there are lots of missed opportunities like that with the benefit of hindsight but that one sucks

Felix,

But did you get a yellow discount hm

Ouch Al :) I'm sure there are lots of missed opportunities like that with the benefit of hindsight but that one sucks

It sucks, but even if he had bought the DKR splash (or any other page for that matter), would he have kept it all these years? What's more painful, to have not bought at all or to have bought and then sold too soon?

If I had bought OA early, say in the '80s or even '90s, I wouldn't have flipped it...but I very well might have sold it in the early '00s to help finance real life expenses like getting married, buying a home, starting a business, etc. Psychologically, it would have been difficult to re-acquire the collection later at such higher values. I can only imagine that the regret of letting a collection go would be torture, even if it was for legitimate reasons.

Your off to a good start keep them coming. What's the scheduled going to be weekly, bi-weekly or monthly?

Thanks! The schedule will be monthly, although there may be months where I'll upload two episodes. The first year is already planned out. We'll see where it goes after that.

The next episode will be out in a couple of weeks. I'll link it again here. I'll also have a separate YouTube video focusing on specific pieces from the subject's collection. I think folks will get a kick out of that, especially. :wishluck:

Instead of starting a new thread every time I have a new episode or video to announce, I'm just going to update this thread.

Which means the latest episode of The Felix Comic Art Podcast is up! Our guest this time is super-collector David Mandel. David was a writer, producer, and director on SEINFELD and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, and he is now the showrunner for VEEP. But who cares about that...more importantly, he's put together an unbelievable comic art collection! Listen as he shares stories about his early collecting days, winning the DARK KNIGHT RETURNS splash (yes, THAT splash), and his enemies list! Here's the link:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

And when you're done, check out this companion video on our YouTube channel where David does a show-and-tell with a few of his pieces:

Our next episode will be up in February with another special guest. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the first two episodes, Felix Comic Art, or the hobby in general, shoot me an e-mail. If I have time, I'll do a bonus episode where I answer them. Thanks for listening, and enjoy!

Felix

www.felixcomicart.com