• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oldest, most memorable comic..
1 1

54 posts in this topic

I only recently started collecting again in 2010 so I really don't have a lot of old books from either my childhood or my earlier collecting days back in the late '70s/early '80s. That said, my earliest childhood memories seem to be this book. Either my dad or uncle bought it for me as I started first grade in school. I remember bringing it into class one day and showing my teacher, who told me who the character was. Couldn't really read all of it, but I loved the pictures. Anyway, I re-acquired it again a few years ago.

RAD8DBAF2012827_122325.jpg

I also came across the original artwork for this cover last year at a LCS while on vacation in NH (or it might have been ME), but alas, the owner would not sell it to me.

lol my 1st was foofur 3 iirc

my oldest jesse james stories from 1901

http://web.stanford.edu/dept/SUL/library/prod/depts/dp/pennies/texts/lawson_toc.html

i also have close to a yr's worth of a womans mag from the days of slavery (missing 2 months) these are the oldest paper product i have.......1860's i think but would need to look to make sure

Do you guys collect those comics? I have been purchasing newer copies of those I remember reading as a child. Every time I see one in the wild that I'd forgotten all about it brings back memories.. I seriously get goosebumps.. Its like reuniting with an old friend

Ive gotten most of the first comics I remember reading as a kid,replaced,or upgraded from the rags Id still managed to hang onto.

The best?Cheetah hooked me up with two Conan books,the earliest comics I remember my Papa buying me from the local Pinto corner store(any Canadians remember those?) in 9.8 newstand.... :cloud9: one of which we grabbed before seeing ET at the Drive In Theater at Manor Park.....

Thanks again Big C....I'll never forget it.

Jimmers

When I was about four or five, my mother let me get a Thor comic and a Sad Sack comic from a party store.

Even though I was able to read at that age, I could not understand what was going on in the Thor comic at all; it seemed really bizarre. I wish I could remember which issue it was, but I don't remember anything about it.

I did not save either issue, but I believe that was my first foray into the world of comic books.

I remember buying/reading Amazing Spider-Man #121 and #122 from a 7 Eleven. I was blown away when the Goblin "Died." I remember reading all of the issues from there through 208 which was so bad I quit reading Spider-man for a year. :sick:

Earliest one I remember is Batman 204, which I very vaguely remember getting in Wildwood, NJ in 1968(I was two years old!). I also have vivid memories of the Spidey drug books, mainly because of the Goblin covers. I loved both Batman and Spidey on TV, so I guess that's why my parents bought those comics for me.

In the late 1950s my Grandfather was in a hospital with terminal cancer. In those days kids were not allowed beyond the waiting room on the first floor so my older brother and I spent a lot of time doing nothing but trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to behave. We sometimes got change from relatives to distract us in the gift shop. That is where we both bought our first comic: we each got the same issue of Turok, Son of Stone. I could not read it but I studied the pictures like they were Rembrandt. The first book I read was my cousins copy of Fantastic Four #2. The first book I fell in love with was an Action or Superman that had Mr. Mxyztplk on the cover, underwater, where he had turned a submarine into a bright yellow banana. The horror of that image will be with me forever.

Mine would have been an issue of Turok in the mid 60's...... I'll probably never figure out which issue, it had a dinosaur on the cover (they all did....) and had a scene inside with a cave behind a waterfall (many of them did)..... but the real watershed moment came a few years later, when my Aunt pulled up in her Chevelle and popped the trunk..... it was full of old comics that were split between my two cousins and my sister and I. Mostly 1960's Marvel and DC.... to say I was hooked is an understatement. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu