• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sell or trade a comic and regret it right away?
1 1

91 posts in this topic

I can't say that I regretted it, but it seems whenever I sell big keys to get another -

the keys that sell just blow up...

Why I can't regret it is because I got the books I really wanted and on the sell of keys I did at least break even or pay it forward to good people.

Good Karma + Good Books + Great Friends = 0% Regrets!

:cloud9:

This is true! Deals with good friends makes moving books easier and at some point you can usually get them back.

I had a run of Northland House of Mystery comics that a collector of70's DC Horror kept enquiring about that i kept refusing to sell because i thought they were so nice. About 6 months before CGC came about i decided to sell and have regretted it ever since. I contacted the guy i sold it to a couple of years later but by now they were split with several other collectors. I do try to keep an eye out to see if any pop up anywhere and ive probably missed a few but i did spot the #199 in the Comiclink auction graded as a 9.8 which does not surprise me at all and makes me regret it even more :facepalm:.

I had a run of Northland House of Mystery comics that a collector of70's DC Horror kept enquiring about that i kept refusing to sell because i thought they were so nice. About 6 months before CGC came about i decided to sell and have regretted it ever since. I contacted the guy i sold it to a couple of years later but by now they were split with several other collectors. I do try to keep an eye out to see if any pop up anywhere and ive probably missed a few but i did spot the #199 in the Comiclink auction graded as a 9.8 which does not surprise me at all and makes me regret it even more :facepalm:.

201 is on Ebay right now. Has been for a while.

Sold beater copies of Detective 36 & 37 for about $500.00 each about 7-8 years ago. Missed them as soon as they were out the door.

Similar copies are on eBay right now in the $10,000.00 range.

Pulled a Evil Ernie #1 out of a 50 cent bin and flipped it for $100. Miss that book with it's awesome cover, and it was low printed to boot.

Especially miss the first "big" book I ever bought. A mid grade CGC X-Men #1 I bought in 2007 only to sell it a few months later to break even. Just two years ago researching how much this book increased in value is what got me back into collecting today. I know there are plenty mid grade X-Men #1 out there, but for some reason I just want that specific one that I had. :tonofbricks:

Tried to email the sell to see if he still had it...no reply. :tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

I have not sold a lot of books, but I can think of countless books I turned down throughout the years that I wish I had purchased now.

I remember many years ago seeing a beat copy of AF #15 on the wall of a local comic shop. It had a sign on it saying "World's Worst Copy", and was marked $25. It was in pretty bad shape, but for $25 who cares what shape it is in. It was still an AF #15.

That same shop later got in an Action #1, which I called the owner to see if I could make a deal on. I had recently purchased several early Actions from him and so I figured he would work with me. I did not reach him on the phone that day and then I got busy and did not think to call him again until it was too late.

My stomach is in knots right now, just thinking back on these two examples. There are many others. Opportunities lost.

I saw a big Stack of Starlin, Kirby, Steranko pages and covers at a small local con-everything was $25. No one even looked at that stuff. Year: 1977

Oh and some GA covers where the artist from GA Daredevil was sitting. No one even spoke to that guy.

Edited by kav

I saw a big Stack of Starlin, Kirby, Steranko pages and covers at a small local con-everything was $25. No one even looked at that stuff. Year: 1977

Oh and some GA covers where the artist from GA Daredevil was sitting. No one even spoke to that guy.

Oh man.....just the thought....

Sold a Tec 168. Still regretting that one....

I am with you Kav. I remember the first time I saw OA at a convention. I thought to myself, "who wants that stuff"? I wanted complete books, not one page from a book. The pages were "cheap" (although I don't recall the exact prices), I remember they were nothing too over the top.

Obviously, I missed the boat on that one as well.

Seems I have missed a lot of boats along the collecting path. Thankfully, I did not pass up all the good ones.

It's baffling to me now that I thought like that. I wanted to be a comic artist and here were some actual pages I could have studied to learn how they did it. It didn't even cross my mind to want them.

That's how unwanted OA was back then.

That stack of OA haunts me-over and over.

I remember one of the covers was Strange Tales 178

say no more.

I cant bear reading this ...

Have you seen this site?

http://www.comicartads.com/

One of the boardies (Lee B) does this. Great (and depressing!) site with old art ads.

If I had the room I'd never get rid of a comic. I don't necessarily regret it, but it would be nice to have boxes upon boxes of all the comics that have ever passed through my hands. I think the ones I regret the most are all the Archie and Disney digests that got lost or trashed while moving.

I had a CGC 8.0 Archie 50, sold it via auction and instantly regretted it. I have yet to see the book in any grade over 6.0 since. I have even went and purchased a few copies and to be honest, the regret is so deep, I just dont want the book if I have to accept a lesser grade. I should have never let that book go. :cry: