• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Luke Cage, Hero For Hire #1

63 posts in this topic

So should I buy the Masterworks collection, put on some Curtis Mayfield and be prepared for a major nostalgia rush, or will I be disappointed in how dopey the stories seem 40 years later?

So should I buy the Masterworks collection, put on some Curtis Mayfield and be prepared for a major nostalgia rush, or will I be disappointed in how dopey the stories seem 40 years later?

..... actually, for full effect one would require the theme song for "Shaft"..... or possibly "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

"...... it was the third of September....."

.... oh, and you'd also need a dashiki.

..... actually, for full effect one would require the theme song for "Shaft"..... or possibly "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" GOD BLESS...

By all means, yes Brother! Let's Free Bobby while we're at it! :grin:

I dunno, Mayfield's "Superfly" soundtrack holds up as a soul masterpiece 40 years later, whereas Isaac Haye's "Shaft" has a kitsch quality to it now.

I dunno, Mayfield's "Superfly" soundtrack holds up as a soul masterpiece 40 years later, whereas Isaac Haye's "Shaft" has a kitsch quality to it now.

....Nothing wrong with Superfly........ I had the 45 with "Freddie's Dead" and wore that thing out...... GOD BLESS...

"Papa was a rolling stone." :cloud9: Great song.

9.6 with a pending sale of 10k on ComicLink :ohnoez:

Good for the consigner. Looks like these sales will raise prices on any copies 9.0 and up. Never thought this book would ever achieve 1/10th of these prices.

Good for the consigner. Looks like these sales will raise prices on any copies 9.0 and up. Never thought this book would ever achieve 1/10th of these prices.

I never did acquire a 9.6, but I've still got this copy. It's astonishing to see what this book is going for nowadays:

HeroforHire1slab-1.jpg

Do you guys think this is a real sale?

Confirmed sale. Luke cage is on fire ! I regret having sold my 9.6 copy many moons ago. :(

Confirmed sale. Luke cage is on fire ! I regret having sold my 9.6 copy many moons ago. :(

That said, the copy in the November CLink auction just went for $3,800. (shrug)

Eh, it may say 9.6 on the label, but it's not any better looking (and might be even less nice) than the 9.4 copy I posted above.

Eh, it may say 9.6 on the label, but it's not any better looking (and might be even less nice) than the 9.4 copy I posted above.

Agreed. The 10K 9.6 sale is still perplexing. Perhaps the buyer thinks it is improvable to a 9.8. Even so, nothing on GPA to support a 9.8 @ 10K, much less a 9.6. Perhaps some dealers that don't report sales to GPA can weigh in. Paging Mr. Storms.......

Agreed. The 10K 9.6 sale is still perplexing. Perhaps the buyer thinks it is improvable to a 9.8. Even so, nothing on GPA to support a 9.8 @ 10K, much less a 9.6. Perhaps some dealers that don't report sales to GPA can weigh in. Paging Mr. Storms.......

If ComicLink would only report to GPA. Not only would you find this 9.6 sale but you'd also find a 9.8@15k a few years back. BIN was hit less than an hour after it was listed if I recall.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3902011

That 15K sale was in 2009 or 2010? Probably the first or second graded 9.8. Label chasing hysteria.

There have been several sales since, well below that lofty price. Heck the Suscha News copy sold in 2014 for half that price.

The 10K 9.6 sale is just whacky.

That 15K sale was in 2009 or 2010? Probably the first or second graded 9.8. Label chasing hysteria.

There have been several sales since, well below that lofty price. Heck the Suscha News copy sold in 2014 for half that price.

The 10K 9.6 sale is just whacky.

Yes, the 9.8 sale was the first 9.8 to show up. Just wanted to point out that GPA doesn't have all the data, as we all know.