• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

From what I can tell, this is the only cover that sold when Simon P. decided to let some go.

He sold a few other TPB covers, either before his CAF sale or just before he replied to my email. At the very least, Gone to Texas and Proud Americans are out of his collection.

He listed 10 covers in his CAF sale, and one sold (this SoK one we're talking about).

There are a few TPB covers out there, but I don't know if that's true for all the missing ones, or if Simon is still keeping them under wraps.

I actually had the chance of getting a nice TPB cover (imo, nicer than this SoK example) many years ago, but passed. So I'm fairly certain that some have made it out of Simon's collection over the years. IIRC, I was told via a third party that the monthly covers were untouchable, but you could have a conversation about the others.

I'm a huge PREACHER fan, but it's not killing me to own a cover. Part of it is what NSN said...they've been unavailable for so long (along with the circumstances of them being unavailable) that I simply never got the jones for one.

Yes very true. There are things I would have killed for twenty years ago that clearly were never going to be on the market. Recently several pieces finally opened up with prices...ugly...but doable. Oddly I realized I didn't even care. And that (complete apathy) I wouldn't pay up for.

Being the board's perma debbie-downer, and having had many desirable pieces in my own black hole collecion for decades (yup!) with nary a hint of ever letting them go...I wonder what sort of apathy I've inspired in others? Will my oh-so-big-cashout fall flat too (one day)? Could be. Have to keep an open mind...

I do like Simon's Orbiks!

The only cover Ive ever truly been interested in, and would pay absolutely stupid money for, is the Until the End of the World TPB cover.

Sadly it would take a down payment on a house to pry it from Simon's hands.

Edited by Khazano

Jimmy Palmiotti put up the first edition trade cover for sale this week on CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1273096&GSub=171234

With the show coming soon, we should be seeing more key pieces come out of the woodwork like this. :wishluck: Too bad this wasn't a public sale, because the final price would likely have motivated potential sellers. I was a bit surprised at how strong the bidding went as I'm not sure how memorable this piece is. It was used for the first "Gone To Texas" trade way back when, but DC/Vertigo has used at least one other different cover since then. Didn't matter...a published cover with the three mains got the buyers out. And from the sounds of it, there were several interested parties, even toward the end. I think the next big piece to hit auction will surprise some people.

I picked this page up in the recent Heritage auction. Is it way too much for a talking heads page? Probably yes. Especially when you see the pencil price tag of "$65-" on the back :takeit:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/steve-dillon-preacher-20-too-much-gun-page-15-original-art-dc-vertigo-1996-/a/121546-13042.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013

But I loved the art in this section of the run. Between Dillion's tendency to over render early in his career, and the more cartoony (for lack of a better word) line art recently and toward the end of the series.

Anyway I'm really happy with it when it arrived. I think it's got really well drawn renditions of Jesse & Tulip, and while a talking heads page, it's a poignant scene. For my taste anyway!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Was that published before Absolute Vertigo or Preacher Preview? I don't really count those as first appearances either but if we're going to be technical, it's kind of necessary to figure out which book is the first of the pre-first issues.

Comichron shows an entry for Vertigo Gallery of Dreams and Nightmares charting around 100 in sales August 1995. There are sites that record it's release date as 1/1/95 but that's only because the book is dated as an annual and they have no idea when it was actually released.

Regardless, it's a very cool piece but for my money I'd rather have a Preacher #1 page as a 'first appearance' example.

Edited by Solar

+1. It's cool, it's vintage...but not an image I'm familiar with. I'm sure Marc will do well with it regardless, but I'd also rather have a page from #1.

I thought you did, and a darn nice one at that hm

Thanks! Actually, lucky enough to have two that I'm quite happy with (forgive terrible digital pics):

PREACHER1p17.jpgPREACHER1p24A.jpg

Would like more, but have a feeling that they're going to be a tad tougher to acquire going forward...