• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones on Netflix (11/20/15)
3 3

840 posts in this topic

This Is What Jessica Jones' Wil Traval Could Look Like As Nuke

For those of you that have been binging on Jessica Jones and are avid comic book readers, you most likely noticed that police officer Will Simpson, played by Wil Traval, is a reinvented version of Frank Simpson, aka Nuke.

Like in the comics, Simpson was a former soldier that was experimented on and uses different colors pills to increase and control his abilities, which are increased pain tolerance and strength. The downside to taking the pills is a deterioration of Simpson's state of mind.

NNnAKqb.png

Finished the series. I won't spoil anything but my review is an overall B-

I actually would have preferred the back story on how she was taken by Kilgrave. The story of trying to catch him took 10 episodes too long.

This was an okay series but doesn't compare to Daredevil.

Brilliant first episode. Easily an A for non comic fans. For me I thought A- I could nitpick, but I thought it was solid.

My wife a non comic fan loved it. Kilgrave was the perfect choice, which honest any collectors older then me have to chuckle because what a joke villain he was for decades.

Cant wait to see more.

I thought it was great. Better than Daredevil. One of the best things Marvel has done.

I do think it was stretched out too much to fill Netflix's 13 episode requirement, though. It really should have been 9 or maybe 10 episodes tops. And trying to fit in a bunch of Marvel stuff to set up future series/storylines watered down the pacing as well. This is one where it might have been better without being tied into the rest of the MCU so much, so it could have just focused on its own story.

Really good, though.

Edited by Crimebuster

I thought it was great. Better than Daredevil. One of the best things Marvel has done.

I do think it was stretched out too much to fill Netflix's 13 episode requirement, though. It really should have been 9 or maybe 10 episodes tops. And trying to fit in a bunch of Marvel stuff to set up future series/storylines watered down the pacing as well. This is one where it might have been better without being tied into the rest of the MCU so much, so it could have just focused on its own story.

Really good, though.

I disagree - I feel like the MCU context was largely sidelined in this one. Yes, we had Luke Cage, Hellcat and Nuke as supporting characters, but they contributed hugely to the JJ-specific plot. Daredevil was only ever referenced once, with the most forced inclusion being Claire Temple.

Apart from references to the Green Guy and the flag-waver, what was there? hm

I'm going to preface what I'm going to say with a few notes. First, I'm only in the middle of 5 and I think it is good. I was also a HUGE fan of the book long before there were whispers of a TV show.

Having said that, I feel like there is a lot of wasted potential. As others and reviewers said, having Purple Man as the driving storyline is disappointing. Even in the book, while it was an intricate part of the story, it wasn't the driving factor. Up until episode 5, we really haven't seen her be a true PI. I wanted to see some crime noir and mystery. People poo poo the idea, but I wouldn't mind a villain of the week type storyline.

I'm interested to see how it turns, but this is no way near as good as DD.

Oh and I've really liked Luke Cage. Hopefully they push him a bit more in the second half of the season. He's a decent character and at times the only one I like.

Brilliant first episode. Easily an A for non comic fans. For me I thought A- I could nitpick, but I thought it was solid.

My wife a non comic fan loved it. Kilgrave was the perfect choice, which honest any collectors older then me have to chuckle because what a joke villain he was for decades.

Cant wait to see more.

I enjoyed it, my husband liked it a lot more than I did. I liked DD better, he liked JJ better. He had one funny comment. He wanted to know if Luke Cage was black in the comics. I said yes. He said then, he should be white in the show, since Jimmy Olsen is black in Supergirl.

He's got an odd sense of humor at times, so I can't tell if he was serious because he says everything with a straight face.. He's always asking me if someone is a real super hero, or a fake one...(I think the difference is that a "real" superhero was portrayed the same way as in the comics.)

I think the only comic he's ever read was Sgt Rock and that was quite a while ago, but I do drag invite him to see all the superhero movies with me;)

It's interesting to see the viewpoint of someone with pretty much no comic book background.

Have watched about 75% of the first season. It gets better after the first few episodes. Interesting story though a bit violent.

I do have one question though.....why don't these people buy earplugs or wear headphones..?

I ended up binge watching this with my fiancee on Wednesday. Watched episodes 7-13 that day.

I loved this show. I need 3 more episodes to finish DD. Enjoyed this much more, but I haven't been keeping up on DD so I have only watched maybe 2 episodes in the last month or so. I will definitely go back and watch it straight through in a better timeframe.

And Kilgrave was a great villain, up there with my favorite (Deathstroke in Arrow). That is what I like about the Netflix shows, the villains are easy to relate to and you start to feel sorry for them. You really don't get that with the movies.... except maybe Loki. Red Skull, Ultron, Ronan, Malekith, you just could not connect to in the way you can with Kingpin and Kilgrave.

I'm on episode 11 & I've been liking it. I do think the private investigator stereotype is way overdone (angry, loner, drunk) in the show. I don't really know anything about the JJ character from the comics so I don't know how that affects viewing but I've been enjoying most of it so far. Some "twists" seem heavily foreshadowed but love the Nuke references & I think Luke is portrayed very well.

Do not read this unless you've finished the whole series:

Really enjoyed the show, but the last episode was such a let down. Shockingly anticlimactic. I felt like they missed some big opportunities:

- Would have been awesome to see him actually turn purple, like they were hinting at.

- Would have been awesome to see Daredevil show up like Clair hinted at.

- Would have been awesome to see the ending follow the source material a little closer, i.e. Luke and Jessica's "big news".

- Wtf happened to Nuke? Totally left a loose end with his character. Would have been cool o see him return for the final "battle".

- How dumb was Killgraves death? Predictable.

Sorry for the semi rant, I loved 12 out of 13 episodes, but man the last episode was poorly executed in my opinion. Great show with a terrible ending. rantrant