• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,257 posts in this topic

From the Encyclopaedia Britannica entry on the "western genre" (www.britannica.com/art/western):

"The western has as its setting the immense plains, rugged tablelands, and mountain ranges of the portion of the United States lying west of the Mississippi River, in particular the Great Plains and the Southwest. This area was not truly opened to white settlement until after the American Civil War (1861–65), at which time the Plains Indians were gradually subdued and deprived of most of their lands by white settlers and by the U.S. cavalry. The conflict between white pioneers and Indians forms one of the basic themes of the western. Another sprang out of the class of men known as cowboys, who were hired by ranchers to drive cattle across hundreds of miles of Western pasturelands to railheads where the animals could be shipped eastward to market. The cattle and mining industries spurred the growth of towns, and the gradual imposition of law and order that such settled communities needed was accomplished by another class of men who became staple figures in the western, the town sheriff and the U.S. marshal."

Plenty of examples in this thread of the second and third themes (cowboys and "law and order" men), but not many of the first (the conflict between pioneers and Indians). I aim to rectify that disparity right here and now: :D

picstoriesah3_f_zps364f0aac.jpg

exploitsdboone1_f.jpg

This one's for a good ol boy who's been out ridin the range. Welcome back, pard. The campfire's lit and there's a cup of joe waitin for ya.

LoneRider15fc_zpsaa1j8qbf.jpg

:hi:

Great books, boys! Those Baker Westerns are always welcome, Bob, especially the Giants, and looks like Ed managed to slip a quality Quality in between the stacks of gorgeous EC GFC.

Welcome back, Pebbles and Bam-Bam!

now these next books will show how the real settlers dealt with restless neighbors

CowboysnInjuns07fc100_zpszukg7nay_1.jpg

ClassicsIllustrated72fc100_zpsd1a80a31.jpg

DaisysRedRyderGunBooknnfc100_zpse3f56798.jpg

moviecomics04mitzic100_zps6f2df96c.jpg

Great books, boys! Those Baker Westerns are always welcome, Bob, especially the Giants, and looks like Ed managed to slip a quality Quality in between the stacks of gorgeous EC GFC.

Welcome back, Pebbles and Bam-Bam!

now these next books will show how the real settlers dealt with restless neighbors

CowboysnInjuns07fc100_zpszukg7nay_1.jpg

ClassicsIllustrated72fc100_zpsd1a80a31.jpg

DaisysRedRyderGunBooknnfc100_zpse3f56798.jpg

moviecomics04mitzic100_zps6f2df96c.jpg

Love the Mitzi in Hollywood. I believe it's from Movie #4 (Friction House). It's been a while since I looked at my copy but if I remember right it is just full of irregular panels showing all aspects of Mitzi's body. One of Baker's best works and a real sleeper.