• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,764 posts in this topic

That's a great book, Peter. Amazingly, it somehow managed to avoid the Savannah Cream to Off-White Pages Curse!

Yeah I just detest this pedigree because of all the poor PQ issues. This is a recent collection we forgot to mention but if books like this can survive in the humid temps of Georgia then I have my fingers crossed that there are still [hopefully] a few nice collections sitting in the midwest somewhere. :wishluck:

The Savannah's were stored in different places and some have rather nice PQ..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've found that Savannah's with ow or better pq are found among the Silver Age books. Tougher to find among Bronze Age books. This one is a beauty.

MOTP17FC-Oakland_zpsaxbbcj3k.jpg

Another remarkable procurement, Peter -- one of only 3 copies certified 9.6! :golfclap:

Not a single book at this point has cracked the 9.8 barrier.

It is uncommon in high grade, no doubt.

So much so the Suscha News collection contains only a single copy.

It's an uncertified specimen which I was fortunate to obtain a few years back... :cloud9:

MOTP-17_SUSCHA_1.jpg

I have a lowly 9.4 and the white mountain copy in 9.2.

Your copies are nothing to scoff at, Joey.

After reading your post I would have sworn I owned the Rosa Copy.

But I carefully checked the MC collection manifest and found it wasn't there.

Then I scoured every short and long box in my possession thinking I may have overlooked the book during collection cataloging.

Regrettably, I came up empty.

At that point I consulted my Don Rosa Collection database, which I've compiled over the course of the collection's 10-year existence, to see if Don bought the book way back when.

No luck. Couldn't find it.

So now I'm scratching my head wondering if the book was available on the newsstand when Don amassed his collection. If not, why not?

Was it Distribution Supply-Side Scarcity? The old Affidavit Return Conspiracy? Or perhaps Reprint on the Spinner Rack Collector Rejection?

After digging into this matter for some time, I am not exactly sure at this point. (shrug)

It’s back because nobody demanded it – The Picture Frame Scarcity Index!

Just a few books fell off the list since the last time. We really need another Suscha News, Don Rosa, or Oakland-esque collection to surface. Preferably one owned by a fastidious nut job who bought Millie the Model and Li'l Kids. (I write that affectionately.)

Besides lists of books with either zero or one 9.4 or better copy, I added a list of extra tough hero books like Hulk #158 and Iron Man #44.

There probably is something to the thought that black covers are harder to find in uber high grade. 7 of the 9 tough hero books have black covers. And the other two have dark colors too - Iron Man #44 is dark brown, Captain Marvel #22 is deep blue.

No copies in CGC 9.4 or better:

Harvey #3, 5

Li'l Kids #4, 7, 9

Millie The Model #194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199

My Love #20

Our Love Story #20

Ringo Kid #17

Special Marvel Edition #4

One copy in CGC 9.4 or better:

Chili #18 19, 20

Harvey #6

Li’l Kids #5, 6

Li'l Pals #1, 2

Marvel's Greatest Comics #34, 39

Marvel Triple Action #6

Mighty Marvel Western #17

My Love #14, 16, 18, 19

Our Love Story #17, 18, 19

Rawhide Kid #103

Ringo Kid #13, 14, 15

Special Marvel Edition #6

Two-Gun Kid #101, 102, 103

Western Gunfighters #8, 10

Western Kid #3, 5

Wyatt Earp #31

Tough hero books in CGC 9.6 or better:

Avengers #103 (6 in 9.6)

Avengers #105 (8 in 9.6)

Captain Marvel #22 (4 in 9.6)

Daredevil #86 (1 9.8, 4 in 9.6)

Incredible Hulk #158 (6 in 9.6)

Iron Man #44 (6 in 9.6)

Sub-Mariner #43 (6 in 9.6)

X-Men #76 (4 in 9.6)

X-Men #79 (1 in 9.8, 1 in 9.6)

Good stuff, Barton. Looks like that baby took some time to compile.

It would be pretty cool to see a scatter chart illustrating the data (or some other such visual that paints a scarcity picture).

Thanks for putting the index together. Kudos to you. (thumbs u

BTW... those darn red-head Chili's are fairly hard to come by.

Picked this one up a few moons ago.

Look familiar?

C-19_8-5.jpg

I tend to agree with you guys but I hope your wrong. There has to be a few more Suscha News collections out there. They don't have to be pedigree collections just piles of unknown high grade books held tightly by long time collectors. Everyone thought the GA collections were done and then Billy Wright showed up and stuff like the Cicorel OA books and the Atlantic City collection. I look at Guys like John Verzyl that have one of the greatest collection around [ultra high grade Timleys!] and he really hasn't shared them publicly in years.

Would I be amiss if I said I'm not a fan of more early Bronze Age collections coming to market, especially those containing high-grade picture frame copies?

IMO there is uniqueness to owning vintage Marvels from 1971-72. It's an exclusivity of ownership and collectors of the type are fortunate if they possess hard-to-find samples of same, especially those that do not fall into the traditional everybody-collects superhero genre.

I enjoy having things others do not. I am attracted to uncommon objects – particularly those of my youth – that have survived the ravages of time in remarkable condition. I have a need for uniqueness and the perceived high-grade scarcity of picture-frame Marvel's enhances my target of desirability.

Saturating the market with additional books from horded collections, particularly those containing copies that opportunists see as having up-grade potential, does nothing but lessen desirability and promote attitude change for me. Sorry if that's not PC in this day and age of the high-grade certified collector. But, IMHO, scarcity enhances desirability, and I prefer to have my high-grade picture frames limited in supply as age-made rather than oversupplied as ready-made.

Just my 2c

I have a question regarding the Oakland copy of MoTP 17 I keep seeing posted in this thread. Does anyone know for sure if there were duplicate copies of these books?

I purchased mine from Vincent at the San Diego Comic Con in the late 90's, and don't remember seeing duplicate copies in the box.

I kept the original label of my copy, and taped it to the backing board when I re-bagged it.

When submitting a pedigree, what proof is required by CGC?

Thanks!

MonstersontheProwl17Oakland-NMfc_zpsc5535e95.jpg

MonstersontheProwl17Oakland-Label_zpsc1870833.jpg

BTW... those darn red-head Chili's are fairly hard to come by.

Picked this one up a few moons ago.

Look familiar?

C-19_8-5.jpg

Looks very familiar. It was an eBay roll of the dice that could have been worse. And could have been better. But I'm glad it has a good home in any event.

I have a question regarding the Oakland copy of MoTP 17 I keep seeing posted in this thread. Does anyone know for sure if there were duplicate copies of these books?

I purchased mine from Vincent at the San Diego Comic Con in the late 90's, and don't remember seeing duplicate copies in the box.

I kept the original label of my copy, and taped it to the backing board when I re-bagged it.

Thanks!

I know the Oakland books were available for some time before Vincent took them on the convention circuit. So if there was a duplicate copy of this book, it's entirely possible somebody snagged it before San Diego.

I think CGC calls dealers to verify the provenance of books when they have questions or need to confirm anything. They probably know which dealers moved the majority of the pedigrees out there.

Thanks!

MonstersontheProwl17Oakland-Label_zpsc1870833.jpg

What a pick up for $10, beautiful copy!

I know the Oakland books were available for some time before Vincent took them on the convention circuit. So if there was a duplicate copy of this book, it's entirely possible somebody snagged it before San Diego.

I think CGC calls dealers to verify the provenance of books when they have questions or need to confirm anything. They probably know which dealers moved the majority of the pedigrees out there.

Thanks so much for the info Barton! (thumbs u

Thanks!

Amazing book, Shel. (worship)

As far as any duplicates of the issue goes...

I can say to a certain extent that the Suscha News collection does not contain multiple copies of MOTP#17 based on my examination.

Below is a graph of MOTP books I've catalogued from the collection thus far.

For the most part, the original owner bought several copies of every available Marvel Comic book from the distributor on a weekly basis – two at a minimum – after he struck the back-room deal in the early 70s. He admitted as much in the Metropolis article that marketed the collection.

However, for some strange reason, a particular number of MOTP books only appear in the singular form, or they are missing altogether. Weird stuff to say the least.

In any event, the below diagram is a thought-provoking visual, IMHO. It's a snapshot that gives an interesting peek into a certain segment of books within the remarkable collection that is Suscha News.

MOTP_suscha-news.gif

This is being discussed in the SA section but have a gander at the brilliant FF's in Heritage's February auction which are apparently OO books. From Lon at Heritage; "It is indeed original-owner, I think all I can really say is that it’s from the West Coast. It has a “sweet spot” of Marvels from about 1965-67, the ones before and after, while still very nice, are not 9.6-9.8 books like the FFs you are talking about. But yes, those brief runs are really special."

I'm not sure I have seen books this nice before, they look fresh and untouched. It gives me hope that there are a few pristine BA collections lying around.

This is being discussed in the SA section but have a gander at the brilliant FF's in Heritage's February auction which are apparently OO books. From Lon at Heritage; "It is indeed original-owner, I think all I can really say is that it’s from the West Coast. It has a “sweet spot” of Marvels from about 1965-67, the ones before and after, while still very nice, are not 9.6-9.8 books like the FFs you are talking about. But yes, those brief runs are really special."

I'm not sure I have seen books this nice before, they look fresh and untouched. It gives me hope that there are a few pristine BA collections lying around.

There probably are a number of those collections out there in the wild. Especially with mainstream superhero books like FF and ASM. But I'm much less confident that any of these collections have the Western, romance, or reprint titles. And if they have sharp copies of Millie the Model, Harvey, Li'l Kids or Li'l Pals, I'd be shocked. Thrilled, but shocked.

Gorgeous copy, Peter. The covers that pit hero versus hero always have extra appeal, and Kane did a terrific job with that one.

Especially these 2 heroes. (I know this isn't the original Human Torch, but still.) (thumbs u

Gorgeous copy, Peter. The covers that pit hero versus hero always have extra appeal, and Kane did a terrific job with that one.

Especially these 2 heroes. (I know this isn't the original Human Torch, but still.) (thumbs u

So true, dude (as the kids say). Being a SA/BA collector, for me it starts with Strange Tales #107.

And I agree that Kane mostly and also John Buscema did some beautiful cover work during the picture frame era.