• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November 2015 Heritage Signature Auction Thread
1 1

630 posts in this topic

But, Spidey #96-98 is my 2nd favorite Spidey story arc of all-time after ASM #121-122.

Those are excellent stories, but the best Spidey run is ASM 31-33. No need to argue it here. :)

These 3 are my favorite stories all time.

John B.

the Cap 100 page price surprised me a bit.............. modern size art, no sinnott inks and no cap. it is a nice page though. very cool if you are a black panther fan.

exactly, Shores inks. I think it's a nice page, but without Cap, i would assume the buyer got it for Black Panther, and recent prices on nice small art Kirby Panther pages are far less than that......that said, if someone's got the money and they love it, more power too 'em. Just based on comps it seemed way up there.

Gene, did I miss the post where you said you won this?

Because I've never seen anyone so vociferously defend a piece without having a financial interest in it. Nothing wrong with that, but wow, quite the hard on you have for this art lol:)

I didn't win the cover, so, no, I'm not "talking my book" here. But, Spidey #96-98 is my 2nd favorite Spidey story arc of all-time after ASM #121-122. Go re-read those issues - the story is superb all the way through (the interior art is admittedly a bit hit or miss, but at least the the #97 and especially the #98 covers are so good). And no one should have to justify why one of the best Spidey vs. Goblin covers ever is awesome as much as I have - it's as obvious as the truths that "We the People" hold to be self-evident... :whistle:

I just re-read ASM #96-98 this morning and they still hold up even for an adult audience, unlike the lighter Silver Age fare or McSpidey issues which were both written at particular times for a particular (young) audience. They really represent a high point for Stan Lee and Marvel, challenging the CCA and going ahead with the bold and challenging storyline, taking on matters of race, class and drugs/crime. And, it's Spidey, so people might actually want to read these relevant issues as opposed to...Green Lantern, no matter how good those issues are (and, yes, I've read them - I've got my GL/GA TPBs in front of me now...zero desire to re-read them though I do like flipping through them and looking at the pretty pictures). hm

The following (from the beginning of the story arc in #96) works just as well in 2015 as it did in 1971. Maybe even better - it's outstanding storytelling.

photo 20151123_114628.jpg

Agreed (except that for a long time I despised 121-122 for killing off Gwen; I came around only after I saw what an excellent adult story it led to with Mary Jane. Then I grew to despise it again for the way it blinded the producers of the latest film into thinking they had to adhere to the comics story, despite the fact they had struck chemistry gold with Emma Stone (and instead of killing off a character that had "nowhere to go," they killed off one of the best things they had going)

The point here is that the Spider-man storytelling has been excellent in the comics and that is something most civilians (non comic collectors) are aware of, even if they don't know many specifics. But if they know any specifics, the ASM drug storyline is one they are most likely to have heard of. (barely a week goes by that Stan Lee doesn't recount to some journalist about defying the comics code with that story).

So when a book or a page appears from a classic story, the auction house generally makes note of it because their experience has shown them that most buyers find it a plus.

Agreed (except that for a long time I despised 121-122 for killing off Gwen; I came around only after I saw what an excellent adult story it led to with Mary Jane. Then I grew to despise it again for the way it blinded the producers of the latest film into thinking they had to adhere to the comics story, despite the fact they had struck chemistry gold with Emma Stone (and instead of killing off a character that had "nowhere to go," they killed off one of the best things they had going)

I always thought that Emma Stone should have been brought back into the movie franchise as MJ. Die the hair and change the attitude and she's there.

But then, that's probably why I don't work in the movies.

Green guys with scaly skin and goblin masks are more normal somehow? :insane: At least morbius doesn't carry a purse with "poof bombs" ;)

I mean... dang... Gobby was basically marvel's answer to Magica DeSpell :insane:

:roflmao::signfunny:

I had a very hard time not laughing out loud in the office.

My work here is done :acclaim:

Well, that phone call was a bit frustrating. So when I went in on Friday to the floor auction and registered, the woman there asked if I had bid on their auctions before. I stated I had, she couldn't find my name and then asked if I had won any HA auctions before and I told her no. She was then able to find my account and I filled out another registration from for the floor auction. On it I checked the box that I wanted to collect the items at the Beverly Hills location. So this afternoon I called HA and was told the items from Saturday and Sunday's auctions are already on their way back to Dallas and that I should have notified them by Friday that I wanted to pick them up in Beverly Hills. Apparently the woman created a new account for me instead of attaching it to my online HA account. The woman on the phone today first told me the items weren't all in Beverly Hills, I told her funny but I physically examined them on Friday there. I told her she should pull my auction registration form I filled out Friday in Beverly Hills and she'll see I did check the pick-up box. So now I have to wait until it arrives in Dallas so they can ship it back to me here and pay to ship on top of the wait. Not very professional and probably my last experience with HA. I'll let others stick with the OA collecting.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

So now I have to wait until it arrives in Dallas so they can ship I back to me here and pay to ship on top of the wait. Not very professional and probably my last experience with HA.

In this case you should not have to pay CA State Sale Tax. But I could be wrong. You may want to ask about that.

Yes, you do since they have a B&M location in California. Would be nice to save almost 10% though, but the invoice clearly has CA tax added on it.

Plus, I find it impossible to believe that they packed up the entire session / shipment and sent it back today if they're weren't open on the weekend and didn't know who's winning what over the weekend / yesterday.

Yes, you do since they have a B&M location in California. Would be nice to save almost 10% though, but the invoice clearly has CA tax added on it.

I've no doubt they added it, that's a computer there. But since it's already snafued, have an out of state friend pay and receive it. Then they can forward to you? Maybe not worth $100 to you though.

Well, that phone call was a bit frustrating. So when I went in on Friday to the floor auction and registered, the woman there asked if I had bid on their auctions before. I stated I had, she couldn't find my name and then asked if I had won any HA auctions before and I told her no. She was then able to find my account and I filled out another registration from for the floor auction. On it I checked the box that I wanted to collect the items at the Beverly Hills location. So this afternoon I called HA and was told the items from Saturday and Sunday's auctions are already on their way back to Dallas and that I should have notified them by Friday that I wanted to pick them up in Beverly Hills. Apparently the woman created a new account for me instead of attaching it to my online HA account. The woman on the phone today first told me the items weren't all in Beverly Hills, I told her funny but I physically examined them on Friday there. I told her she should pull my auction registration form I filled out Friday in Beverly Hills and she'll see I did check the pick-up box. So now I have to wait until it arrives in Dallas so they can ship I back to me here and pay to ship on top of the wait. Not very professional and probably my last experience with HA. I'll let others stick with the OA collecting.

That sux :(

sorry to hear you have a bad taste in your mouth

Art buying is supposed to be FUN !

My Heritage win was supposed to arrive yesterday and instead looks like it won't get here until sometime next week because FedEx is so backed up with holiday gift shipments (I called their customer service and they called the facility where my package is being held). :mad:

My Heritage win was supposed to arrive yesterday and instead looks like it won't get here until sometime next week because FedEx is so backed up with holiday gift shipments (I called their customer service and they called the facility where my package is being held). :mad:

When you see the redirect to my house...don't let that worry you a bit ;)

Well, that phone call was a bit frustrating. So when I went in on Friday to the floor auction and registered, the woman there asked if I had bid on their auctions before. I stated I had, she couldn't find my name and then asked if I had won any HA auctions before and I told her no. She was then able to find my account and I filled out another registration from for the floor auction. On it I checked the box that I wanted to collect the items at the Beverly Hills location. So this afternoon I called HA and was told the items from Saturday and Sunday's auctions are already on their way back to Dallas and that I should have notified them by Friday that I wanted to pick them up in Beverly Hills. Apparently the woman created a new account for me instead of attaching it to my online HA account. The woman on the phone today first told me the items weren't all in Beverly Hills, I told her funny but I physically examined them on Friday there. I told her she should pull my auction registration form I filled out Friday in Beverly Hills and she'll see I did check the pick-up box. So now I have to wait until it arrives in Dallas so they can ship it back to me here and pay to ship on top of the wait. Not very professional and probably my last experience with HA. I'll let others stick with the OA collecting.

I'd request they pick up the tab for shipping or in the alternative, have them ship it to the Beverly Hills office for you to pick up. Stuff goes back and forth between the office all the time, so it shouldn't be difficult for them to piggy back your art with another shipment.

I'd request they pick up the tab for shipping or in the alternative, have them ship it to the Beverly Hills office for you to pick up. Stuff goes back and forth between the office all the time, so it shouldn't be difficult for them to piggy back your art with another shipment.

The way I handle situations like this is simply not to due further business with them. They had another auction last weekend and I had two items on my watch list. I told myself I wasn't going to look at any OA on their auction, but might be interested in comics. But when the day came, I just wasn't interested in this auction so I didn't even watch and I didn't bid. I know if I was the under bidder on several items before and I don't bid, even if I don't win, then they lose money. One of the two items I had on my watch list ended higher than I would have bid, but the other ended at $38! (with BP) I would have easily bid a minimum of $100 or more, even if I lost they lose money. It adds up also, as I bid on around 15-20 items the previous auction and was the under bidder on around a half dozen. Now not for any later auctions with them.