• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fakers on ebay

288 posts in this topic

Somebody should just buy it. Then go through the motions of reporting it a fake and getting refunded. Neg him fairly but harshly. And then that can happen again, and again, and again. Not the same buyer of course. I'd expect each buyer that cries "fake!" and returns for refund will have themselves blocked by the seller (oh, what a loss there!), but there are enough people on this Board... Eventually either the seller or eBay will tire of the game (and the lost shipping charges back and forth) and it will end. The reporting thing is sort of like swatting at flies imo...

That strategy worked on Gallery on the Baum, but it should be for lower $ value items in case the refund doesn't work out.

Malvin

Ducuso , who else?

EDIT: DUCOSO. (dutch collector's society)

I just had a weird episode with this guy.. I found on ebay a really cool sketch of Corto Maltese signed HP (Hugo Pratt usually signed with full name) for the ridiculous amount of 0,90 $..

So weird but the sketch was cool and I decided anyway to keep an eye on this item, it had some bids already, but few hours before the ending he decided to close the auction.

So I asked him why, and he said to me:

the sketch is still available. $135 in one buy. If you agree send me a paypal link. You get an invoice from me..

....No way man!!!

:rulez:

PS. The funny thing is... he closed the auction the exact day when a true original drawing was sold in Paris for € 391'800 !!

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/read/article/corto-maltese-comic-book-art-sets-new-world-record-at-auction

the photos of his items include COAs

COA's in general are only worth as much as the paper they're printed on.

Anyone can photocopy a COA or create something regal looking with a signature vouching for it's supposed authenticity.

Always consider the source of the COA and the reputation of the name backing it up.

So, to me, marketers who aren't known that tout COA's to instill confidence in their potential customers coupled by bargain prices usually are red flags for fraud.

If a deal sounds too good to be true, the majority of the time it is. You need to only spend what you're willing to throw away and lose at that point if in doubt. It's better to be safe than sorry, pass than fail.

The hardest situations are when a piece is priced at market value and there's no red flags on it's legitimacy and it ends up being fraudulent.

My personal policy is if it has a COA it's fake.

mostly the same for me.

i never let a COA convince me to buy an item, but have bought pages where the seller/dealer includes COAs,

I guess because some people ask for them. I know Ive had buyers on ebay ask me for them (for sketches and pages), which I don't provide.

Especially ducoso's COA. It is a paper drawn up by him and signed by him. It means absolutely nothing and offers zero provenance. Did you see the Steranko he has up right now? I would have never been duped by him if I saw that piece of work. I do like his Wieringo. Too bad its likely just as fake.

Is 'bakerfan' one of the bad ones? I usually stay away from sketches for just this sort of reason but guess I wasn't thinking straight that day and this thread got me thinking about it. I've just started following the forum recently.

Cost was minimal but I don't want to misrepresent it if I go to resell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221924972728?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

eBay Item

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-Annual-1-Original-Recreation-by-the-late-ALAN-KUPPERBERG-/221924972728?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0vOYo83Z3dSInMzbG65EqeqogSE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#payCntId

What do you think? I'm guessing fake now for sure...

Thanks for the input.

I don't see how anyone could accumulate OA from dozens of artists and sell em so cheap so I'm thinking fake.

These people that have an endless supply of a wide variety of artists that they got from some gallery or street show-they apparently walked in, bought hundreds of pieces for $10 each and walked out.

Yeah no.

I don't know if "fakers" is the right term, but these are recreations not labeled as such:

Esteban Maroto Red Sonja DPS Recreation

Esteban Maroto SSOC #1 Red Sonja Splash Recreation

The original version of the second page was on eBay many years ago...was outbid on it then by a certain Adams-loving comic art dealer (Adams is the inker on the original page). :mad: