• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tec 69 Appreciation Thread

160 posts in this topic

Ok so just looking for some feedback from some of y'all that have more experience with GA books than I do...

Why are tec 69s so pricey? I mean I understand it's an early tec, joker cover, but not the first joker cover and not even the second. Either the 3rd or 4th depending on whether you count DC40. So what warrants 1k plus per point on this book?

Edited by dena

Just saw it on the gpa site. Listed as as old 8/23/15 for $3850. I'm pretty sure I recall it being an eBay sale and know the guy that sold it but don't quote me. Anyway, I always appreciate your expertise in all things tec related Peter! Was just curious if the cover alone would drive the price point up that much or wether it had something to do with the boy commandos that I wasn't aware of cause I know some guys follow that.

Thanks for the input!

Good question ... especially if you are thinking how best to spend your hard earned money ... here's my 2 cents....

I mean really the smoking gun cover...great color scheme - rich black - lots of eye-popping red to make it pop --- with enough deep green to really accent ... great subject matter with the giant joker looming over batman and robin. Just a monster cool cover and on top of that it's easily in my opinion and apparently a lot of other collectors one of the top 3 Joker covers - I love Batman 11 and Detective 62 also - but with that said

There is always the little matter of supply and demand ...

Detective 69 CGC 7.0 or better 12 copies - 10 grand or so and up to get one ...

Batman 11 CGC 7.0 or better 26 copies - 10 grand or so and up to get one...

Incr Hulk 1 CGC 7.0 or better 89 copies - 40 grand or so and up to get one ...

Am Spid 14 CGC 7.0 or better 687 copies - 1 or 2 grand or so and up to get one ...

Personally - the Detective 69 and Bat 11 are stunningly cheap if they are going for a grand a point when - in my opinion -

They are far more rare and desirable than say a Hulk 1. Of course if you prefer Hulk to Batman and Silver to Gold and Marvel to DC and more common to rare - etc etc - you probably feel differently. And clearly there are lot of Am Spider 14's - even though the demand is high - the book is common in comparison to the Detec 69 and the Bat 11 as equivalent key hero - key villain appearance books.

I think the more appropriate question would be why isn't the Tec 69 going at 4 or 5 thousand dollars a point - while you are questioning that it is 1 thousand ...

Hey you know what? If you can get an 8.0 Detective 69 for 8 thousand bucks ... I suggest you buy it ... because you may just find out it's a whole lot more than a thousand dollar a point book ... I would think it would be more in the 4 or 5 k a point book in due time and the market will figure that out ... in fact I think it's figuring that out right now.

I mean the demand is insane - the supply is well - look at the supply for a Hulk 1 7.0 --- now look at the supply for a Detective 69 - Notice in this thread that the board is almost surprised and a little giddy with excitement to see a 69 pop up at Auction in 6.5 ...

Question what auction is selling the Detective 69 in grade 6.5?

Clearly the demand far outstrips the supply of one of the coolest Batman and Joker Covers. I remember being at show some years ago - when the dealer I was talking to said the day would come that you couldn't get an Amazing Fantasy 15 for under a grand and a high grade copy would sell for a 100 grand - I didn't disagree, but I didn't see it at the time. I see it now. I remember when the Detective 31 could be had in lower grade at prices similar to the Detective 69 now. I thought about buying a 31 but held back saying what you are saying - hey this is like the 3rd Batman cover ---(as you say hey 69 is like the 3rd Joker cover) - in hind site I should have bought a Detective 31 then. Look at Detective 31 now - I think Detective 69 is going to follow in the footsteps of 31.

Personally - golden age (off-keys not keys not junk, but off key hero) is relatively cheap in comparison to many books -

I think the Marvel Mystery 60 -great Schomburg cover- that recently sold on comiclink - I think page 2- in 8.5 and the third highest copy for $2375 - - makes me want to ask how is this book only worth $300 a point - I think not -- In the scheme of things I think that book should be worth 4 or 5k - or $500 a point - it's rare - it's desirable - and yet many silver and even some bronze books are selling for equivalent or greater prices.

In hindsight if I could put the scratch together - I should have bought that MM60 ... but I digress ... just got some time on my hands - and realize the comic market still has a lot of upside - if the money is there - when the question is raised - regarding Detective 69 being worth a thousand dollars a point - the historical prices might suggest this - but supply and demand do not ... and our market still has a lot of growing up to do.

I guess I write this most of all when I see random bronze and silver age Avengers, Batmans, Hulks, Conans etc - selling in the 4 figures - granted extreme high grade - but they are still common books ... they are not Golden Age - and as an advanced collector I appreciate them for what they are - but they are not Golden Age.

This is all in my humble opinion ... but Detective 69 is for a DC - Bat - Joker fan a top tier - key ... it's as simple as that ... I personally wonder why a book where in 7.0 and up there are only 12 known graded copies in the world - could be had for less than 5 figures?

I'm curious to your thoughts ...

Why do you think Detective 69 is not a thousand a point book?

PS There is Detec 69 in 3.5 on Ebay for 5 grand, but that would be about $1500 a point - and I think the price just goes up from there in grade. It presents nicely except for the big rat chew out of the bottom corner - has great pages - the notes say missing some significant material inside - that bothers me - but all in all - not a bad book - and not really a bad price - not my book by the way -- just pondering it.

Ai - Yi - Yi ... Bat-Hound! A picture! WoW!

Thanks for sharing ... real stunner for the grade and a keeper for sure.

It ain't a $900 book anymore ... and I can't imagine why you'd sell it for less than 5 figures now.

If you sold it for 10 grand or more - really how would you ever replace it ... and what would you rather have for the same money? I know there are equivalent value books - but for me it is definitely a :cloud9: book -- Congrats.

Earlier in this thread someone said a 6.5 was for sale in an auction now? What auction? Link? Anybody?

It ain't a $900 book anymore ... and I can't imagine why you'd sell it for less than 5 figures now.

If you sold it for 10 grand or more - really how would you ever replace it ... and what would you rather have for the same money? I know there are equivalent value books - but for me it is definitely a :cloud9: book -- Congrats.

Earlier in this thread someone said a 6.5 was for sale in an auction now? What auction? Link? Anybody?

Yes I can't see me selling this one anytime soon and will be interesting to see what the 6.5 copy will bring at comic connect auction.

When I purchased my copy raw many years ago the dealer graded close to vf as I recall. It truly is nice inside with sharp white pgs. The back cover is nice as well with no creases. As I recall it had a very slight tear at the staple but cover attached well. Remember this book has only one staple in the middle as war measures were conserving materials at the time. I guess the slight staple tear and a slight bend top right corner of front cover brought the grade down. :gossip:

Yes I can't see me selling this one anytime soon and will be interesting to see what the 6.5 copy will bring at comic connect auction.

When I purchased my copy raw many years ago the dealer graded close to vf as I recall. It truly is nice inside with sharp white pgs. The back cover is nice as well with no creases. As I recall it had a very slight tear at the staple but cover attached well. Remember this book has only one staple in the middle as war measures were conserving materials at the time. I guess the slight staple tear and a slight bend top right corner of front cover brought the grade down. :gossip:

Opps my mistake I just verified it is a two staple book and I think the staple tear was on the top staple (shrug)