• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FindMyComic.Net. A New Comic Book Search Engine
4 4

118 posts in this topic

So, I normally use comicseeker.com to try and find a back issue between the popular sites it searches. But it hasn't been updated in years and doesn't offer that many different sites to search through.

So I thought I'd put a little site together that works much the same way. Here's my thoughts so far:

- It will be simply and straight forward, just fill in your comic book title and issue number (it will require both to work) and click the Search button

- It will search 30+ different online comic book stores

- The results will appear below the web form, clicking on a link will open in a new tab

- I'd keep it relatively up to date, if a store goes offline, I'll remove it

- If you have an online comic book store that you would like me to include, or one that I missed, just shoot me a PM or post a reply here and if I can see the search url string on your website, I'll add it.

- Speaking of URLs, I'm not a super web guru, so this site will search differently than the comic seeker one. I'll be filling in the search string url with the comic book title and issue number from my web form, then output the link. The comic seeker does some sort of backend searching then displays the results. The outcome is the same, so who cares, right?

- I'll see if I can manage to make a button to automatically open all the links in new tabs, so you don't have to manually click on them. But you could if you preferred of course.

Any other suggestions, recommendations or thoughts? I'll put a link up once I have a beta site running.

UPDATE!: I've setup the Google Analytics, Domain and Hosting at............

http://www.findmycomic.net

Bookmark it if you like it (thumbs u

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

Would it just be U.S.sites or global? If global you would have to see which ones offer international shipping or it might get a bit frustrating!

Wait... there are people outside of the US? When did this happen?

Comicseeker.com is my site.

Yes, I haven't updated in years. I would do so if I didn't try to do so many things at once. Funny thing is my Webhosting sent me an email this week warning me to upgrade the PHP code because they are getting rid of the version I am using.

I'm happy to share ideas and secrets.

:gossip: I also live in the PDX area

Comicseeker.com is my site.

Yes, I haven't updated in years. I would do so if I didn't try to do so many things at once. Funny thing is my Webhosting sent me an email this week warning me to upgrade the PHP code because they are getting rid of the version I am using.

I'm happy to share ideas and secrets.

:gossip: I also live in the PDX area

Right on! Thanks buddy. I'm a fan of your site for sure :) Right now I'm working on getting the PHP to echo both words instead of just the first one. It seems when it encounters a space it just truncates the rest of the echo string : /

Thanks for the heads up with the two words tho guys (thumbs u

Jerome

I fixed the spacing issue with a quick str_replace by replacing the ' ' with '%20'.

I don't think I'll do the open all links in new tabs button, there's just too many of them. I may also keep it under 30, the top/most active ones.

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

Okay I finished making it purdy(er). It's very simple.

Should I remove the manually searchable links? There's some good sites there that have a good catalog of books like Comic Collector Live. But their search results aren't shown in the URL so I can't build a URL for them like I want to.

Beta Link.

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

I finished my testing and setup the domain, hosting and Google Analytics. You can find the site at:

www.findmycomic.net

Like I mentioned before, I'm no super web guru, but if you have a suggestion or find a bug feel free to shoot me a PM or reply here.

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

I finished my testing and setup the domain, hosting and Google Analytics. You can find the site at:

www.findmycomic.net

Like I mentioned before, I'm no super web guru, but if you have a suggestion or find a bug feel free to shoot me a PM or reply here.

Jerome

I like it a lot.

Now, if you could make it auto-populate the results, like Gunbot, you'd have a heck of a utility.

:thumbsup:

Edited by entalmighty1

www.findmycomic.net

Jerome

Very nice! I like the clean format and large amount of searchable sites you include.

:cool: