• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Canuck Collecting Thread
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I have a set of the original run. Was one of my favorite comics back in day and was really surprised when it was cancelled. Very refreshing to have a character so openly religious as well.

There are a few issues that are very tough to find, #15 for one!

As for waiting for it to pop, yes, it is very unlikely that it will ever sky rocket the way other franchises have. But there is always the chance that something will happen to drive up Canadian interest in it, thereby making it more valuable than it already is. You never know. I have been on the look out for cheap copies, or cheap lots with Canucks trying to build up some doubles.

There are a few issues that are very tough to find, #15 for one!

I got one of those. Only 150 copies signed and numbered. Doug Sulipa let me know he had a few and I pounced on one while I had the chance.

Are there any unsigned and/or unnumbered one's out there or was that all that was printed?

Looks like it was self published by Comely in 2004 to complete the original story run and there are only 150, all of them signed and numbered.

Captain Canuck Reborn #3 is also extremely rare. Published in 1996, the issue had a print run of 8000, but most were given away at cons and as promos. There were only 300 sold to the direct market and of those probably around 50 copies remain in existence!

Any one here have any of the rarer issues? #4A limited to 300, #4B extremely rare, limited to just 15, #15 I think at 300 as well or Reborn #3 apparently around 50? I have my eye on a Reborn 3 but haven't pulled the trigger yet

As per my previous post, I do have a 15...and it's my understanding only 150 were printed.

Looks like it was self published by Comely in 2004 to complete the original story run and there are only 150, all of them signed and numbered.

Captain Canuck Reborn #3 is also extremely rare. Published in 1996, the issue had a print run of 8000, but most were given away at cons and as promos. There were only 300 sold to the direct market and of those probably around 50 copies remain in existence!

number is higher than 50 out in the open.

Here's where I get my numbers from

Reborn #3

The unofficial yet definitive Captain Canuck comicography says : "No French editions were printed. These issues were not distributed to Newsstand market. According to Richard Comely, 7700 copies were given away and probably not saved by collectors, 300 copies were distributed to the direct comic book market and that less than 50 copies still exist."

http://www.captaincanuck.net/original.html

But Doug Sulipa says:

"#3 (1996; ENGLISH Edition; Print Run of only 8,000 Copies; NOT distributed to Newsstand market. Richard Comely has confirmed that only 8000 copies were Originally Printed; About 4000 Copies went to the Newspapers that carried the Comic Strips, mostly used as PROMOTIONAL GIVEAWAYS, Most went to NON-Collectors and are long thrown out and/or Destroyed; Only about 900 copies sold to the Direct Market. About 3000 Copies were Sold at CONS and Used in SCHOOL WORKSHOPS including 800 made into Bagged Sets; Likely only 10% of the Original Print Run still Exists; It is Estimated that Less than 1000 Copies Still Exist Today; Now VERY SCARCE & RARELY seen for sale in the Collectors Marketplace; Oddity: Interior is collection of Comic Strips #128 thru #344 meant for publication in Daily Newspapers; >>> CGC; NM-, 9.2 = $299.00); >>> Mid-Grade copies #3 is RARE an usually sells for $100.00 to $200.00+ on eBay"

http://www.dougcomicworld.com/INVENTORY-CaptainCanuckRelatedItemsSite.html

So one site is saying 50, the other is saying less than 1000.

Any one here have any of the rarer issues? #4A limited to 300, #4B extremely rare, limited to just 15, #15 I think at 300 as well or Reborn #3 apparently around 50? I have my eye on a Reborn 3 but haven't pulled the trigger yet

As per my previous post, I do have a 15...and it's my understanding only 150 were printed.

Oh yeah, you are totally right. I had a brain malfunction and went blank, even though it was just one page over, sorry :P 150 is the right number. One up on ebay right now. I. Want. It. So. Much!

Are there any Americans who are into Canuck? Or is it just canucks? :)

I had a few of these. Of the ones I read I liked. The distribution here in America had to be bad. I think I got my few issues in a bundle of Charlton comics I bought. Right next to the copies of Yang and Doomsday plus one was this odd Captain Canuck comic book that seemed to be printed on better paper than the Charlton`s.

Read it and liked it,but never heard about the character for years.

He is currently doing awesome. The new series is the most issues published uninterrupted since the classic series ended back in 1979 80.

I just read Unholy War, the mini from 2004 featuring David Semple as Captain Canuck. I wasn't so keen on the art, but the story wasn't bad. I like that this Canuck is a ginger, just like me :)