• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
50 50

1,629 posts in this topic

Adjusted in Photoshop :

22092199269_007d0e23d6_o.jpg

That seems like a lot of work to play with proper settings on the scanner and then to fix it in Photoshop. I understand the scanner part, but there has to be an easier way where it is scanned perfectly every time. With multiple slabs this process would take forever.

I'd like to help you out .. I've got an 8300 too, but .. alas .. no Mac (just a humble Win 7 pc). All I've ever used is the full HP driver package from their website.

I occasionally get a bit of glare, but have managed to minimise the glare I do get, by placing a (not too) heavy object on the closed-lid.

It seems that the more contact the slab has against the glass (and therefore, the scanning element), the less glare.

.. possibly trying the above might help?

Thanks for the reply. . It's not really the key strokes that are the time consumer its the use and operation of the scanner how it interfaces with the driver.

With my old scanner on Windows XP I can scan as many in a row as I want. Upgrade to Windows 7 and a new driver is required which does two things bad. I have to scan the book and then to save the image I have to scan it again. Then the software closes and opens the photo editor. I have no need to edit the photo but have to close that and then reopen the scanner software to start all over again. Sure a macro for keystrokes might help but not really if you know what I mean.

I just don't want to buy a scanner and have the same problem. Anyway, I just bought the 8300 and we'll see how it goes.

Using the HP 8300 with VueScan on a Mac, I scan (once) and have the jpg output land on my desktop. When I'm finished scanning, I pull those into Photobucket. Seems easy enough, but I'm only scanning a few books at a time.

Did you have any problems on initial set up? I have a Mac as well. I hooked up the HP8300 I just got today and opened VueScan which shows the 8300 as the device. But when I hit the scan button all it said was that it was busy with a percentage counting up for a few minutes, but the scanning element never moved and no image was taken. Any ideas? **edit. problem fixed.**

Now if I could only get rid of the glare...

Here are the settings I use in Vuescan:

vuescan%20cgc%201_zpshzb9dxjb.jpgvuescan%20cgc%202_zpsr1jglzbe.jpgvuescan%20cgc%203_zpsjtb3cnmt.jpgvuescan%20cgc%204_zpsbhic1pok.jpg

Give them a try.

Edited by Kaptain Kollektor

What is the best way to clean the glass on your scanner?

Fluid: windex? eyeglass cleaning fluid?

Cloth: paper towel? cotton towel/rag? cleaning wipe (if so, which brand and type?)

Everything I have used either smears the glass or leaves tiny particles that are picked up by the scanner.

Thanks.

Plustek OpticPro A320

Anyone use this? - ccd sensor large format price is not as obscene as the other ones available new....

My HP - still kicking - but lots of dust under the glass shows up in the scans......

Thanks for the reply. . It's not really the key strokes that are the time consumer its the use and operation of the scanner how it interfaces with the driver.

With my old scanner on Windows XP I can scan as many in a row as I want. Upgrade to Windows 7 and a new driver is required which does two things bad. I have to scan the book and then to save the image I have to scan it again. Then the software closes and opens the photo editor. I have no need to edit the photo but have to close that and then reopen the scanner software to start all over again. Sure a macro for keystrokes might help but not really if you know what I mean.

I just don't want to buy a scanner and have the same problem. Anyway, I just bought the 8300 and we'll see how it goes.

Using the HP 8300 with VueScan on a Mac, I scan (once) and have the jpg output land on my desktop. When I'm finished scanning, I pull those into Photobucket. Seems easy enough, but I'm only scanning a few books at a time.

Did you have any problems on initial set up? I have a Mac as well. I hooked up the HP8300 I just got today and opened VueScan which shows the 8300 as the device. But when I hit the scan button all it said was that it was busy with a percentage counting up for a few minutes, but the scanning element never moved and no image was taken. Any ideas? **edit. problem fixed.**

Now if I could only get rid of the glare...

How did you get rid of the glare??

Thanks.

OK so I got myself the HP Scanjet 8300 as I was frustrated with my old HP Scanjet 7400c.

I hooked up the scanner downloaded the HP drivers from their website and started scanning.

Here are the results

7400c

7400c.jpg

8300.jpg

7400c

7400c2.jpg

83002.jpg

All images were unedited apart from photoshop resizeing. The 8300 produces far better colors ( still needs some enhancement ) but the GLARE it makes is simple unbearable! HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?! I scanned with the HP scanning software and the windows scanning software and the results were the same. Please help this glare is a deal breaker :(

OK so I got myself the HP Scanjet 8300 as I was frustrated with my old HP Scanjet 7400c.

I hooked up the scanner downloaded the HP drivers from their website and started scanning.

Here are the results

7400c

7400c.jpg

8300.jpg

7400c

7400c2.jpg

83002.jpg

All images were unedited apart from photoshop resizeing. The 8300 produces far better colors ( still needs some enhancement ) but the GLARE it makes is simple unbearable! HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?! I scanned with the HP scanning software and the windows scanning software and the results were the same. Please help this glare is a deal breaker :(

Try turning the slab around. I found that this decreases the glare, but does not eliminate it.

Here are the results

7400c

7400c.jpg

8300.jpg

7400c

7400c2.jpg

83002.jpg

I've been having the same problem with mine. The thicker the slab, the worse the glare. I have just resigned myself to live with it unfortunately. If you figure something out let me know.

Seriously, put a weight on the top of the lid (not too heavy, of course. You don't want to do any damage). I use a medium sized plant-pot.

That takes out any slight curvature that the slab may have by bringing it closer to the glass, and eliminating any stray light. Trust me, it works.

Seriously, put a weight on the top of the lid (not too heavy, of course. You don't want to do any damage). I use a medium sized plant-pot.

That takes out any slight curvature that the slab may have by bringing it closer to the glass, and eliminating any stray light. Trust me, it works.

I did that already and had no positive results, nothing changed. The glare is not from the outer plastic case but from the more flexible plastic sleeve that's inside, any kind of pressure won't eliminate the bends of that inner sleeve.