• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Forget the politics rule, someone please draft a bill for a No burning HG Neal Adams covers Rule.

I'm sick over this.

I'm trying to understand the mindset of destroying something, instead of selling it or just giving it to someone else who will enjoy it. It truly is mind boggling.

I saw something like this on another board years ago. It wasn't as dramatic as a high grade Bats 227 but someone threw something away instead of gifting it to someone else.

you forgot "ketchup is a vegetable"

yes, i know, my father was unemployed for about a year in the middle of that, but it's not like there were boom times before reagan

Not true. Forties, fifties and much of the sixties. Taxes were high on the rich, unions were strong and the middle class was thriving.

Carter and ford were bad economic times too.. the price of a comic went from 20 cents to 50 cents!!!!

In contrast, in 8 years of reagan comics only went from 50 cents to 75 cents.

Edited by the blob

Forget the politics rule, someone please draft a bill for a No burning HG Neal Adams covers Rule.

I'm sick over this.

I'm trying to understand the mindset of destroying something, instead of selling it or just giving it to someone else who will enjoy it. It truly is mind boggling.

I saw something like this on another board years ago. It wasn't as dramatic as a high grade Bats 227 but someone threw something away instead of gifting it to someone else.

There are medications that might have prevented this horror. Don't blame the slab, blame the person burning the slab.

I'm sick over this.

I could see some merit in destroying books in very rare instances

Let's say someone finds 2 copies of Flintstones1 35 cent variant. If one believes there are only 2 other copies in existence and the value of the book is almost entirely a function of its rarity, then destroying a copy might be a way to protect the investment. Might even increase the return when selling the remaining copy.

Not sure I would follow this philosophy but I couldn't say definitively that the theory is wrong

The theory is sound, but the action is amoral. That would be a greedy thing to do, not to mention selfish. The destroyed books could provide someone with a lot of happy, happy someone may not have a lot of. Happy is worth more than cash. I recently gave away my signed 11th printing copy of "The Story Of Ferdinand". The look of joy that spread across my friends face was worth so much more to me than the book. I loved that book but I loved her more. I will replace it at some point, but the psychic return for the gesture probably added a year to my life. It isn't always about getting.

Seeing $$ is undeniable. If $$ (or pressing in this case) are THE ONLY thing you see (your prerogative although there are many BETTER ways to make $$) then at least have some appreciation for the other collectors who may view those Neal Adams books as art, history, and so much more. Make someone's day.

I recently gave away some badly tattered Treasury sized Collector's editions to some kids who were ecstatic about even seeing them. Felt Great.

They were "trash" to me. One man's trash....

I have burned three 9.6's and one 9.4 because they were pressed. No kidding. I even had Adams sign a 9.4 227 in 6 different places on the cover, as it adds a uniqueness to it I could not get from any other 227.

Easily one of the top 10 weirdest things I have read on the boards, and that's saying something.

auction them off for charity (or give it to charity, i hear The Blob Foundation is doing great things with overweight middle aged comic dorks)) if you don't want to keep the money or sell them..yes, it is just bizarre. if i ever did something like that it was because i was in the middle of a mental breakdown.

I was cleaning out my Photobucket account last night and found these shots from four or five (maybe a couple more?) years ago with the last Adams stash I had accumulated. I really wish I had held onto a few of them, especially the #251s as they now sell for multiples of what I got for them. :cry:lol

The raw Batman #234 in the picture graded out at 9.6.

IMG_6745.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

Edited by kimik