• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Gator, wandering around a neighborhood con, I overheard a guy asking around for a copy of All-Star 8. I don't know if it was his young age, or the bored girlfriend in tow, but I wondered if he understood what he was asking for.

I understand that every request is an opportunity, but when someone asks you for a big book, how often are they serious and ready to buy, as opposed to someone who balks when you produce it?

Gator, wandering around a neighborhood con, I overheard a guy asking around for a copy of All-Star 8. I don't know if it was his young age, or the bored girlfriend in tow, but I wondered if he understood what he was asking for.

I understand that every request is an opportunity, but when someone asks you for a big book, how often are they serious and ready to buy, as opposed to someone who balks when you produce it?

1 out of 10 from my experience will know what and buy

Can't always judge a book by it's cover. I saw a kid about 14 with his mom at a recent show who was checking out a TOS #39. It was pretty rough and priced at $1400. in Terry O'Neil's booth. Nice kid and seemed very knowledgeable. Kid had a few nice early slabbed Spideys. Terry gave him a bit of a break and the kid gave up the two Spidey's and about $600. of his own money. Nice to see the younger crowd into comics. Terry and I both agreed that we would both give a kid like that a real good deal. You want him to have a positive experience.

Can't always judge a book by it's cover. I saw a kid about 14 with his mom at a recent show who was checking out a TOS #39. It was pretty rough and priced at $1400. in Terry O'Neil's booth. Nice kid and seemed very knowledgeable. Kid had a few nice early slabbed Spideys. Terry gave him a bit of a break and the kid gave up the two Spidey's and about $600. of his own money. Nice to see the younger crowd into comics. Terry and I both agreed that we would both give a kid like that a real good deal. You want him to have a positive experience.

I wish I'd met you when I was 14. Instead, I met a bad man who basically charged me double guide for early Spidey's. Needless to say, I found out later he's got a terrible reputation - still does. Sad that these guys are out there - glad we've got folks like you and GATor to restore my faith.

It is the right thing to do as a seller no matter the age of your customer. I always give kids a little better break though. They are the future of this hobby. I guess I see a little of myself in them at that age. That kid left Terry's table with a smile a foot long. And, he will probably be back and maybe with friends.

It is the right thing to do as a seller no matter the age of your customer. I always give kids a little better break though. They are the future of this hobby. I guess I see a little of myself in them at that age. That kid left Terry's table with a smile a foot long. And, he will probably be back and maybe with friends.

You’re absolutely right. I started collecting 1930s Disney comics when I was 15-16 and I avoided greedy dealers. I was already somewhat knowledgeable, however, or at least I always tried to document myself before buying. :)

You’re absolutely right. I started collecting 1930s Disney comics when I was 15-16 and I avoided greedy dealers. I was already somewhat knowledgeable, however, or at least I always tried to document myself before buying. :)

due diligence, especially in this day and age, is the only way to go...no reason not to, with so many resources at one's fingertips

Gator,

In your opinion, which book will be more valuable, grade for grade, 10 years from now:

Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27 -- and by what %?

there has been enough media coverage of the record action 1 sales that it should stay in front of tec 27, but just by a hair (single digit %)

what "could" change that and flip flop is if the 9.2 tec 27 were to hit the market and change the mass perception...

Gator,

Will a piece of original comic book art ever eclipse the price of Action Comics # 1 or Detective 27 ?

it already has, many times (lower grade action 1 and tec 27s) ... (thumbs u

(see heritage archives)

Gator,

In your opinion, which book will be more valuable, grade for grade, 10 years from now:

there has been enough media coverage of the record action 1 sales that it should stay in front of tec 27, but just by a hair (single digit %)

what "could" change that and flip flop is if the 9.2 tec 27 were to hit the market and change the mass perception...

Considering the fact that Action #1 has consistently received more press in recent years and still -- Tec #27 is only behind by a hair -- would it be fair to say that Action #1's status as No. 1 is on shaky ground?

Gator,

Will a piece of original comic book art ever eclipse the price of Action Comics # 1 or Detective 27 ?

(see heritage archives)

Excuse my poorly worded previous question ;)

Rephrase: Gator,

Will a piece of original comic book art ever eclipse the price of a high grade Action Comics # 1 or high grade Detective 27 ?

Gator,

Considering the fact that Action #1 has consistently received more press in recent years and still -- Tec #27 is only behind by a hair -- would it be fair to say that Action #1's status as No. 1 is on shaky ground?

Pretty firm at the moment.

Gator,

(see heritage archives)

Will a piece of original comic book art ever eclipse the price of a high grade Action Comics # 1 or high grade Detective 27 ?

if that cover to either of those issues ever surfaced

Gator,

(see heritage archives)

if that cover to either of those issues ever surfaced

Dodge ;)