• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,062 posts in this topic

The participation in this thread makes me all misty eyed.....

Now Tony....where are those high grade painted cover Holiday Giants?? :taptaptap:

Here's a couple.

lf-41.jpeg

lf-42.jpeg

There they are! :cloud9:

Thanks for posting!

I tell ya, we're building this thread one Looney Tune at a time! :insane:

I am not a big DC Collector but did you guys see the Looney Tune variant covers coming out?

DC-Looney-Tunes-Blog-Cover-Image.jpg

I RARELY buy new comics. But i will be picking these up! Love em. When are they due out?

Think Disney will eventually mix Marvel with Spidey and co.? hm

Might as well throw this one up here for fun:

Bugs_Bunny_BLB_zpso6nc6isi.jpg

Unlike most BLB's I've seen, this one is also all comics, no text pages.

Dig it Eric. Love this cover. Almost a play on FC 123. Edited by Sagii

Hi Gold Guys! I rarely venture into this area of comics because of my lack of knowledge in the area. I decorated my infant's room in Bugs Bunny and would like to add a few framed comics of first appearances of well known characters. So far all I have is the first appearance of the original Hunny Bunny and an issue of Bugs in a western outfit.

Any suggestions on some key issues / first appearances? Google has not helped me that well. Thanks in advance!

It's great your kid will be growing up with Bugs. He is a great philosopher and role model for young people. Here are a couple early appearances:

Bugs Bunny All Pictures Comics - A Tall Comic Book. All B+W comics. Supposedly reprints Bugs first appearance from LT 1. Easy to find cheap, for now!

Famous Gang Book of Comics - Not first appearances but pretty tough to find early giveaway with an all star cover

This is only the third copy of Famous Gang that I've seen in 50 years of collecting!

Not a first appearance, but a relevant recent pickup. Kind of nice that Mr. Fudd merits a label mention.

lf_zpshonuonso.jpg

I don't know..'first Bugs with a Reindeer cover?'

But seriously, nice book. And thanks for granting my request. :)

Love the DC? Looney tunes covers. Hope my LCS gets those for me.

I also added the Daffy 27 to my want list.

Here are a couple of Bugs from my Four Color collection

fc0033.jpg

fc%20016%20Porky%20Pig%20and%20the%20Secret%20of%20the%20Haunted%20House_zpsyqdghyjo.jpg

fc029DDMummysRing_zps812480c8.jpg

fc%20051%20Bugs%20Bunny_zpsrv8oppn0.jpg

fc%20051%20bc_zpsenpn8gd2.jpg

These are cool: Bugs' first Four Color issue (second solo after Large Feature #8), and Four Color #16 (Porky Pig #1). :applause::applause:

Hi Gold Guys! I rarely venture into this area of comics because of my lack of knowledge in the area. I decorated my infant's room in Bugs Bunny and would like to add a few framed comics of first appearances of well known characters. So far all I have is the first appearance of the original Hunny Bunny and an issue of Bugs in a western outfit.

Any suggestions on some key issues / first appearances? Google has not helped me that well. Thanks in advance!

It's great your kid will be growing up with Bugs. He is a great philosopher and role model for young people. Here are a couple early appearances:

Bugs Bunny All Pictures Comics - A Tall Comic Book. All B+W comics. Supposedly reprints Bugs first appearance from LT 1. Easy to find cheap, for now!

Famous Gang Book of Comics - Not first appearances but pretty tough to find early giveaway with an all star cover

This is only the third copy of Famous Gang that I've seen in 50 years of collecting!

It's so nice of BOOT to promise to sell it to me when he's tired of it :jokealert::wishluck:

And then you get into the whole issue of Daffy Ducks 1st appearance. Duck Hunt sort of.

Similar to Donald Ducks 1st.

Saalfield's Porky Pig's Duck Hunt (1938) is the first printed appearance of both Porky and Daffy Duck. Wiki says the cartoon, Porky's Duck Hunt, predates it ('37).

There are copies available on eBay right now! I love mine.

And then you get into the whole issue of Daffy Ducks 1st appearance. Duck Hunt sort of.

Similar to Donald Ducks 1st.

Saalfield's Porky Pig's Duck Hunt (1938) is the first printed appearance of both Porky and Daffy Duck. Wiki says the cartoon, Porky's Duck Hunt, predates it ('37).

There are copies available on eBay right now! I love mine.

Let's see it sometime.....

Showed this before in the Promotional comics thread a little ways back, belongs here too. Super-Book of Comics #6 (Omar ed.) First Porky issue in the run which featured several rotating characters each issue from several entertainment houses (oddly, there were no Disney issues). I've always felt this issue was a nod by Warners at the competitions Duck and his nephews.

Super-Book%20of%20ComicsOmar%206_zpsglkjppck.jpg

Wow, a CAHokie's thread in Gold! It doesn’t get better than that! :applause:

I can’t be of much help with the request, but when Ed said "And then you get into the whole issue of Daffy Ducks 1st appearance. Duck Hunt sort of. Similar to Donald Ducks 1st." I couldn’t help but wondering: isn’t Donald Duck first apperance in comics in the newspaper strip adapting "The Wise Little Hen"?

Showed this before in the Promotional comics thread a little ways back, belongs here too. Super-Book of Comics #6 (Omar ed.) First Porky issue in the run which featured several rotating characters each issue from several entertainment houses (oddly, there were no Disney issues). I've always felt this issue was a nod by Warners at the competitions Duck and his nephews.

Super-Book%20of%20ComicsOmar%206_zpsglkjppck.jpg

Any year on this?

Does it reprint Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies Comics or is it new art?

Hey Pemart1966

This is from 1945, early years in Looney Tunes history. These were produced as tie ins to promote Omar Bread. The series was reprinted under the 'Hancok Oil' banner later in the same decade. The paper stock on covers of these are the same as the interior, and they are thin. Which explains why they are tough in grade. I only collect the Looney Tunes on these, but they seldom come up for auction alone (there have been lots featuring D**k Tracy, Orphan Annie, Woody Woodpecker among others with the LT issues, but i've passed). I know, i could always buy the lots and flip the others, but out side of Ciorac who is a big D**k Tracy fan and would gladly buy 'em from me i'm sure :baiting: I don't know of any Boardies who collect the other characters.

As for reprints, these maybe original stories for these books. I don't have every issue of LT or Four Color featuring the Warners clan, but based on what info i could find about the series, there is no mention of these being reprint material. Maybe our resident Promotional comics experts (Boot and Dr. Love) can be of more help in this dept.

Another fun fact about the series, which featured said featured character in the lead story, and Turban wearing hero Omar in the second(who controls the winds trough a golden wheat kernel (hey, gotta tie in bread to him somehow ), i've read somewhere Omar may have been the first Arab hero in comics.

Some interior pages for your enjoyment

IMG_1535_zpsris7sxal.jpg

IMG_1538_zpsjcbnn3vw.jpg

Edited by Sagii