• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

so is this thread like the other owner club threads or just a discussion about the sales of the book? I've read the whole thing and it seems that it has morphed into people talking about sales more often than posting their copies.

For many of us who collected in the 1970s, this book was pretty common and everyone bought a copy when it came out. Still have mine though it is nothing super high grade.

just curious

I would rather talk about sales data cause do we really need to see this common book over and over again especially in garbage condition.

Edited by SPECTRE_nWo

I'll get the thread back on the rails for a little while. I bought this copy a while back from a boardie. I still have my off the rack copy raw in about 8.5 condition.

I wanted to have a perfectly centered high grade copy. Here she is:

starwars1_zpssnnf9hgo.jpg

Great to see OOs still have their SW1s !. :cool:

As a kid, my interest in comics was waning right around the time Star Wars A New Hope came out, and so although I was a HUGE Star Wars fan and collected Star Wars stuff as a kid when the movie first came out, I never picked up any of the Star Wars comics so, no OOs from me. :(

But I did pick one up a while back and then two more so I have three:

FN/VF, FN and VG+

StarWars1_3set_1977_zpssvjh5ra4.jpg

The last GPA 9.6 sale was at $600. I wonder if it can hit $1000 closer to the movie as well. That would likely mean $3000 for a 9.8.
Just as a rule of thumb, but by all means, not etched into stone, but a 9.6 usually equates to half of its 9.8 counterpart. So while the 9.8 is at 2k, you could view it as the 9.6 has some untapped potential

Which is beyond the most ridiculous thing ever, since a 9.6 isn't in "half as good" condition as a 9.8.....

The last GPA 9.6 sale was at $600. I wonder if it can hit $1000 closer to the movie as well. That would likely mean $3000 for a 9.8.
Just as a rule of thumb, but by all means, not etched into stone, but a 9.6 usually equates to half of its 9.8 counterpart. So while the 9.8 is at 2k, you could view it as the 9.6 has some untapped potential

Which is beyond the most ridiculous thing ever, since a 9.6 isn't in "half as good" condition as a 9.8.....

+1. That's why for a lot of books being a 9.6 collector is not at all a bad thing.

+1. That's why for a lot of books being a 9.6 collector is not at all a bad thing.

+2

You can own two very high graded copies of a comic for the same price as one slightly better copy? No brainer... buy one, get one free. (thumbs u

Think of it as a percentage... just for fun. :grin: A CGC 9.8 is like 98% perfect. A CGC 9.6 is like 96% perfect.

For the price of 98% perfection, you could own 192% perfection. lol

+2

You can own two very high graded copies of a comic for the same price as one slightly better copy? No brainer... buy one, get one free. (thumbs u

Think of it as a percentage... just for fun. :grin: A CGC 9.8 is like 98% perfect. A CGC 9.6 is like 96% perfect.

Almost always undetectably-better copy.

If kept in the slabs, it's REALLY hard to tell the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6, at least to a mere mortal like me. :cool:

It'd be interesting to do an experiment and take a set of twenty pairs of books, half graded 9.8 and half graded 9.6 and cover the numbers and have HG collectors try to identify the grades on them. I wonder if anyone would be much more than 50-50 correct in their guesses. :grin:

Like a CGC version of "Is it live, or is it memorex?" (okay, just dated myself with that reference) :preach:

And even then, if holding two books raw in-hand, on any given day it still seems really hard to confidently and consistently distinguish what CGC will grade a 9.8 vs a 9.6.

+2

Almost always undetectably-better copy.

If kept in the slabs, it's REALLY hard to tell the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6, at least to a mere mortal like me. :cool:

It'd be interesting to do an experiment and take a set of twenty pairs of books, half graded 9.8 and half graded 9.6 and cover the numbers and have HG collectors try to identify the grades on them. I wonder if anyone would be much more than 50-50 correct in their guesses. :grin:

Like a CGC version of "Is it live, or is it memorex?" (okay, just dated myself with that reference) :preach:

And even then, if holding two books raw in-hand, on any given day it still seems really hard to confidently and consistently distinguish what CGC will grade a 9.8 vs a 9.6.

That sounds like the most fun game ever. I'm pretty sure many people on here could go 20 for 20 in this game, at the very worst 19 of 20.

Jim

Really!?

Well then I must have a LOT to learn! :tonofbricks:

Looking at a 9.6 and a 9.8 in a slab, it is REAL hard for me to see the difference (or even know for sure what's on the book and what's on the inner well). (shrug)

I know grading from a scan is not reliable, but in the grading contests here, you're doing great if you get about half right. I'm not sure how that translate to telling the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 when you have it in hand. But to get it right 19 or 20 times out of 20 seems very exceptional. Even experienced people who deal in high grade all the time sometimes disagree with CGC. I'm sure CGC graders disagree with each other some of the time.

I know grading from a scan is not reliable, but in the grading contests here, you're doing great if you get about half right. I'm not sure how that translate to telling the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 when you have it in hand. But to get it right 19 or 20 times out of 20 seems very exceptional. Even experienced people who deal in high grade all the time sometimes disagree with CGC. I'm sure CGC graders disagree with each other some of the time.

.... back when grader's notes were free, you could often call about a book with nice eye appeal, let's say, 8.5, and find that one of the pre-grader's had given it a 9.0. These type of books could go higher than average. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Oh I get that but that wasn't the game presented....if you had 20 sets of books in hand and you had to guess whether one was the 9.6 version and which one was the 9.8, I don't think that would be to hard at all. Now just guessing a random grade, especially from a scan is indeed way harder.

Jim

#1 seems to be loosing steam.

It makes sense there are just too many available for.

GPA is down on HG copies.

It is not just #1. Overall, with seemingly endless supplies, most of the high flying issues from this series have come back to Earth. Star Wars #42 and 68 also lost steam. I do see more interest in the other 5 movie issues (#2 - 6) but nothing that is moving valuation yet.

It will be interesting to see if these issues become seasonal as new movies come out every year ala The Walking Dead.

I wish the new movie would come out already. :cloud9:

#1 seems to be loosing steam.

It makes sense there are just too many available for.

GPA is down on HG copies.

It is not just #1. Overall, with seemingly endless supplies, most of the high flying issues from this series have come back to Earth. Star Wars #42 and 68 also lost steam. I do see more interest in the other 5 movie issues (#2 - 6) but nothing that is moving valuation yet.

It will be interesting to see if these issues become seasonal as new movies come out every year ala The Walking Dead.

See I think #42 is stll on fire.

When they do a Fett movie the book will probably go up again.

I wish the price variants would lose some steam, That is a run I am interested in :sorry: