• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,446 posts in this topic

I cut a deal on this at the Edmonton Expo a week and a half ago and picked it up tonight.

cgcAvengers%204Dave_zpsbtgndw0n.jpg

:luhv:

A couple of recent additions: I'm happy as both are very nice examples for the grade.

wsWEWVB.jpg

q7iDDkU.jpg

I love that stamp on the FF4!

Me too… The star is large and the "3" very unusual… Wonder what was meant to signify. hm

Coupled with the other stamp on the cover, which is kind of "blobular", I think it may be a military base stamp of some sorts. I don't know if the bases back in the day had newsstands or were supplied comics in a different way, but I believe somewhere in the past I have heard that base books had specific stamps vs the regular date stamp that most books have.

So that's my guess on the "3", "star", and "blob"......

The star is too large to be the usual star stamp of the military bases books, which is very recognizable. That is a pretty unique book, and I love it (also because I am missing a #4… lol ).

It would be interesting to dig out the "National Diamonds" thread where we discussed of these things and post a question. :)

The star is too large to be the usual star stamp of the military bases books, which is very recognizable. That is a pretty unique book, and I love it (also because I am missing a #4… lol ).

It would be interesting to dig out the "National Diamonds" thread where we discussed of these things and post a question. :)

Thanks for the info! My suggestion on the military base being the origin of the unique stamps was a guess, so thanks for the clarification.

Glad you like the book........not only is it unique, but I wish I had a scanner to show how clean the book is. Brought down by a sub crease that only very slightly breaks color on the FC (it is more visible on the BC). Very, very clean, flat 5.0 with great color. Quickly has become my favorite book of my run.

Love to release them back to the wild. Nice avatar by the way, loved watching that show when I was younger :applause: