• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would this foxing effect grade?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

How much does the foxing on the front cover take away from the grade?

This Thor, as you can see, has some foxing on the bottom of the cover.

How much drop does this level of foxing do to the grade?

(I have a few others that look the same!)

Thor175f.jpg

Any help grately appreciated.

Thanks.

Without the foxing, this book looks to be about a 7.5. With the foxing (to that degree "moderate") I'd say 6.0, 6.5 tops. Does the BC exhibit the same amount? hm

Foxing is a stain, and impacts the grade based on its severity. :)

Sorry, forgot to add mention back cover!

Yes, it has the same amount of foxing.

Thanks.

Without the foxing, this book looks to be about a 7.5. With the foxing (to that degree "moderate") I'd say 6.0, 6.5 tops. Does the BC exhibit the same amount? hm

Thanks.

Then no higher than 6.0, and to those who despise foxing, even lower.

Thanks.

Then no higher than 6.0, and to those who despise foxing, even lower.

I put it up on ebay last night as a 5.0 (VG/F). The BIN was hit within an hour. Sold for a price I was very happy with.

Thanks for info!

Or should. I can't help recall the Avengers #57 from the March grading contest that got an 8.0 from CGC with foxing, that while a bit less prevalent, seemed to have no impact on the grade.

Rookie question: What exactly is "foxing?" It looks like mold on this book. Is it just discoloration due to dirt, or is it a permanent water-based discoloration.

Foxing is a stain due to the presence of ferrrous (iron) particles in paper. It occurs over time under various environmental conditions. It does appear to be biologically sourced, but there is some disagreement as to whether the causal organism is a bacterium or a fungus (or both). It occurs throughout publishing history on all kinds of books, manuscripts, etc., incuding comic books. In comics, it more often occurs on cover stock than newsprint, but this may be due primarily to the obvious exposure of covers to air (oxidation). It is a restoration nightmare.

There are restorers working with ammonia solutions that remove foxxing to

various degrees on several types of papers and inks used in various printing

methods. One of the nice things about getting rid of most of the comics

I have is that donating a couple hundred to these kids is a real feel good thing.

Maybe they can end up with the next formula that will remove the foxxing and

leave no trace of it, or any residue behind. Kinda like the pressing arguments

of the past decade.

On 9/28/2015 at 11:52 PM, divad said:

Can you tell me where I can read up on CGC's stance on foxing?  I've just bought a 9.0 graded and encapsulated by CGC in 2004.  It is noted to have "light foxing".  I'm curious to know if CGC's attitude toward foxing has toughened up in the last 15 years.  Thanks

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Can you tell me where I can read up on CGC's stance on foxing?  I've just bought a 9.0 graded and encapsulated by CGC in 2004.  It is noted to have "light foxing".  I'm curious to know if CGC's attitude toward foxing has toughened up in the last 15 years.  Thanks

No, I can't. I suspect it's tightened up over the years, if only because they are grading more and more newer books that have none. I would have the book re-holdered if that's what you're thinking, not re-graded.

Edited by divad

On 10/28/2016 at 6:32 PM, towards2112 said:

...Maybe they can end up with the next formula that will remove the foxxing and

leave no trace of it, or any residue behind. Kinda like the pressing arguments

of the past decade.

Lasers can remove it but those lasers currently cost $30,000+

See https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233833247_Removing_foxing_stains_from_old_paper_at_157_nm