• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DARK KNIGHT III VARIANT COVERS ... worth the $$?
1 1

263 posts in this topic

As DC keeps releasing more of the variant covers for the upcoming DKIII: The Master Race, I wonder about the insanely high premium being asked for a few of the covers by some artists & their reps.

I mean, it's one thing to throw a high price on Jim Lee's cover; we know Jim's got a huge fan base & his art, especially Batman art, always holds its value well. But some of these covers are done by artists who while obviously talented, don't have a fraction of the market interest. And with a few dozen covers out there, won't supply & demand pretty much kill the chances most of these appreciate in value?

I get that the Dark Knight legacy is incredibly prestigious and thus any published art will command a higher premium, but it seems to me that there is no way paying $3-5K for a variant cover by any artist NOT named Jim Lee/Romita Jr/Kubert & Bermejo will turn out to be a smart art investment.

And while I know the true purpose of OA collecting is the love of the art, I don't think any one of us ever wants to buy a piece, regardless of how much it means to you, knowing you're going to lose $$ on it.

Curious to hear thoughts on this; BTW, I have no problem at all with artists trying to get maximum value for their OA. That's their right, absolutely. I'm strictly looking at this from an investment PoV.

and FYI, I would gladly overpay for Bermejo's cover. That is a magnificent cover!

And while I know the true purpose of OA collecting is the love of the art, I don't think any one of us ever wants to buy a piece, regardless of how much it means to you, knowing you're going to lose $$ on it.

I still collect OA from a dead comic title and character and will never profit on it should I sell in the future. That's fine by me. As for the DK3 variants, I found five covers that really struck me and I purchased two of them. The others either weren't for sale or were above what I wanted to pay. I inquired about DK3 Miller art as well and just got a "nope" from his rep.

I'm not Frank's rep.

MI

Well, speak of the devil, I just posted the first cover for DK3 that Jim Lee and I did in my CAF gallery. It's not for sale at this time, but it's such a kick for me to be even a small part of the DK lore that I wanted to share this. And as soon as it's released by DC publicity, I will share a second DK3 variant that I pencilled and inked myself. Good times!

Scott

zO4EyR4p_0610151950061.jpg

Well, speak of the devil, I just posted the first cover for DK3 that Jim Lee and I did in my CAF gallery. It's not for sale at this time, but it's such a kick for me to be even a small part of the DK lore that I wanted to share this. And as soon as it's released by DC publicity, I will share a second DK3 variant that I pencilled and inked myself. Good times!

Scott

Awesome job inking the cover Scott!

Scott

Oh. MY. GOODNESS.

That some kind of spectacular. Thanks for sharing, Scott!

I feel this Andy Kubert cover for the New York Comic Con would make for a great variant cover or the main cover of one of the following issues. Simple, but classic and powerful. Evokes the edginess of Frank Miller's Dark Knight. I feel it is timeless and would be a good investment and is published. Hopefully DC which owns the rights to it, turns it into one of the issues covers.

Variants01.jpg

Sometimes, when I buy something, especially direct from the artist, I know I'm overpaying. I don't have an expectation of ever getting all my money back. I believe most who buy commissions and sketches fall into this category.

I posted the DK3 cover I inked over Jim Lee last week, and this week I have my own cover to share! Pretty jacked about being one of the artists invited to add to the Dark Knight legacy since Frank Miller's original Dark Knight returns made such a HUGE impact on me almost 30 years ago. Inking/collaborating with other artists has always been the main component of my comic career, but every once in a while it's so rewarding to pick up a pencil and call something all my own. Honestly, I'd do more if I was faster, but I'll take opportunities like this every time, especially on such a classic character from such a memorable storyline.

Thanks for looking!

Scott

G1QgYU1g_1210151143301.jpeg

I posted the DK3 cover I inked over Jim Lee last week, and this week I have my own cover to share! Pretty jacked about being one of the artists invited to add to the Dark Knight legacy since Frank Miller's original Dark Knight returns made such a HUGE impact on me almost 30 years ago. Inking/collaborating with other artists has always been the main component of my comic career, but every once in a while it's so rewarding to pick up a pencil and call something all my own. Honestly, I'd do more if I was faster, but I'll take opportunities like this every time, especially on such a classic character from such a memorable storyline.

Thanks for looking!

Scott

G1QgYU1g_1210151143301.jpeg

It's very timely and classic! Awesome job Scott!