• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

:bump:

Seems like the right time to bump this thread since there's an auction underway... lol

For this'n I'm just posting then and now photos. Alas, I haven't posted much to this thread in awhile, but with the upcoming OAFcon there should be some kewl images to add. In the meantime, here are two photographs from SF conventions that were taken approximately 21 years apart to get the FANDOM ball rolling again.

Apologies in advance because I'm in both of 'em (especially since I'm not imbibing ale in either), but the reason these are special is because both feature one of my long time buds, Mitch Bentley, science fiction artist (we were originally members of the notorious Hung on the Wall Gang of science fiction artists from Okla.). Mitch also used to assist me as auctioneer at a lot of conventions back in the 80's & 90's.

Our paths rarely cross since Mitch moved to the east coast just prior to the new millennium, but this past weekend he was the Artist Guest of Honor at FENCON right here in the Metroplex. I've been main auctioneer since the first FENCON back in 2004. This weekend Mitch once again assisted with the convention pro-art & charity auction, so it clearly fits into the fandom nostalgia category.

Here then, is the Wayback Machine shot (during the auction, SoonerCon, circa '94)...

Catmitch.jpg

From this past weekend (at the hotel restaurant)...

ca20c8b3-e4ce-478c-83ae-f429bb3be594_zpstghdvoqc.jpg

I see one of you has updated his look from the 1970s all the way to the early 1990s. :baiting:

I see one of you has updated his look from the 1970s all the way to the early 1990s. :baiting:

lol That would be Mitch Bentley. His coiffure reboot was recent. My tonsorial mind-set is still stuck in the Wayback Machine!

I guess that's part of my being such a consummate devotee of the GA. gw.gif

:bump:

[font:Comic Sans MS]OAFcon this weekend![/font]

http://www.oafcon2015.blogspot.com

Rox (Rachel Caine) and your's truly (in the guise of meek, mild-mannered MANNUP Collectibles) will be set-up for the festivities. Expect lots of eye popping collectibles, nostalgia and camaraderie.

Speaking of nostalgia, this 21 year old newspaper article reflects how much water has passed under the bridge since I moved from Oklahoma to Texas (even Darwin, our first iguana, is on my shoulder). In the intervening years we've moved three times (finally settling in Ft. Worth), my wife has published nearly 50 novels and we filmed the first book of her popular Morganville series (DVDs will be available for purchase at the con)...

41b207d5-76d6-4d9a-8e5f-2cb6848d6133_zpsymplm3ol.jpg

2515cb5c-d539-4111-9900-d8889537f122_zpsc7gka2br.jpg

Since we'll be on hand, I'll try to snag some wall shots and post at the earliest opportunity. Alas, do not expect a lot a lot of scantily clad cosplayers at this show. Besides, do you really want images of sexagenarian Wonder Woman with a draggy lariat or Supercodger trying to leap tall buildings with the aid of a walker? ...I didn't think so! - But never fear, I'll do my best to get some shots of rascally dealers, drooling fans and rare collectibles, perhaps in real time! :grin:

:facepalm:

And I was so enjoying this thread . . .

lol

Well, if this comes in right-side up (my IPad and Photobucket are arguing about orientation), maybe this shot of the wily Eric Groves will juice the thread up a little... hm

1cfd6f8d-d82d-4523-9070-7e3abb7c5261_zpszb5jsfgc.jpg

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Guys, this is a great thread.

Collecting and sharing pictures and memories of past cons and fandom is important and entertaining.

+1

I've only just discovered this thread, and it's absolutely fascinating to see what was going on in the hobby, stateside, back when I started collecting in the 70s. A shame that no-one's posted anything from the UK.

Long time collector/dealer Robert A. Brown cutting up...

image_zpssyyfpg10.jpeg

Don Maris behind the mysterious "buck box"...

image_zpsyx7lfmkc.jpeg

Dave ? If you see a copy of Marvel 1 Action 7 and Tec 28 pick them up for me and we will work the details out later. Thanks Bud. (thumbs u