• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All things Valiant.

133 posts in this topic

I stopped collecting comics around 1990, so I missed the whole Valiant craze. I know bits and pieces of things about it, but I'd like to know more about it from the people who were immersed in it. Its rise/fall, books, rarities, pictures, etc. If there's already a thread about it, then I blame the legendarily craptastic search engine for its continued failure. If there isn't, I can't believe Valiantman hasn't started this over the last 10 years. lol And it gives me another chance to see his Rai 0 10.0 again.

I figure is start another fun thread to counter all of the bad blood and negativity happening around here, lately. Anyhow, enlighten me.

Most of those are in modern for some reason. And I'm too lazy to go through all of those. So if you'd like to contribute, be my guest. If not, send this over to the modern wasteland to be buried amongst the variant and Walking Dead threads.

Valiant, you say??

:luhv:

I say. :)

We've had a few really good threads in Copper over the years about Valiant. And I totally agree about Valiantman's Rai 0 10.0 beauty. Never boring!

CC started one a few years back that brought out some good discussions.

Valiant pre-Unity keys vs. the Marvel silver age keys

Valiant, you say??

:luhv:

I say. :)

We've had a few really good threads in Copper over the years about Valiant. And I totally agree about Valiantman's Rai 0 10.0 beauty. Never boring!

CC started one a few years back that brought out some good discussions.

Valiant pre-Unity keys vs. the Marvel silver age keys

So this is a gateway to greater things thread?

7422AE76-8737-47B2-9EFF-0EAB4C2A67D5.jpg

Most of those are in modern for some reason. And I'm too lazy to go through all of those. So if you'd like to contribute, be my guest. If not, send this over to the modern wasteland to be buried amongst the variant and Walking Dead threads.

Hey, I tried.

No one wants to make a "Modern Comics" and "New Comics" forum distinction, so everything from whenever anyone decides is "modern", whether it's 1990, 1992, 1995, or whatever, gets buried in "what's the latest hot Spider Gwen variant coming out????"

You can forget trying to discuss comics that came out in, oh, say, 1997.

:cloud9:

Valiant was crazy.

Nothing like it had been seen since the early days of Marvel.

It was, and still is, Jim Shooter's greatest contribution to the comics industry.

Unfortunately, they got greedy, kicked Jim out, and treated the property like an atm.

It would have been like kicking Stan, Jack, and Steve out of Marvel in 1962.

Massarsky is the villain. Bob Layton isn't much better.

Hey, I tried.

No one wants to make a "Modern Comics" and "New Comics" forum distinction, so everything from whenever anyone decides is "modern", whether it's 1990, 1992, 1995, or whatever, gets buried in "what's the latest hot Spider Gwen variant coming out????"

It is sad. There's so many great books that got lumped in with the junk from 1993-1999, and they have no real place to go. The powers that be, moved the Harley thread I started here to the variant age (modern) section. To me ,there's nothing really "modern" about a 22 year old comic. Maybe some day there will be a "dark age", or "chromium age", or something along those lines? I won't hold my breath. Maybe a poll is needed? lol

It is sad. There's so many great books that got lumped in with the junk from 1993-1999, and they have no real place to go. The powers that be, moved the Harley thread I started here to the variant age (modern) section. To me ,there's nothing really "modern" about a 22 year old comic. Maybe some day there will be a "dark age", or "chromium age", or something along those lines? I won't hold my breath. Maybe a poll is needed? lol

Could make it even more complex.

Rethinking Comic Book History

Pre-Modern (1933 and earlier)

Nascent Age (1933-1938)

Golden Age (1938-1949)

-First Heroic Era (1938-1955)

Genre Age (1950-1958)

- Code Era (1955-1958)

- Second Heroic Era (1956-1986)

Silver Age (1958-1968)

Neo-Silver Age (1968-1986)

Post-Heroic Age (1986-Present)

- Third Heroic Era (1986-Present)

Could make it even more complex.

Rethinking Comic Book History

Pre-Modern (1933 and earlier)

Nascent Age (1933-1938)

Golden Age (1938-1949)

-First Heroic Era (1938-1955)

Genre Age (1950-1958)

- Code Era (1955-1958)

- Second Heroic Era (1956-1986)

Silver Age (1958-1968)

Neo-Silver Age (1968-1986)

Post-Heroic Age (1986-Present)

- Third Heroic Era (1986-Present)

Reading hurt.

Hey, I tried.

I requested, was told a "poll" was needed. I have no interest in starting that poll, because I don't wish the results to be swayed by personal feelings.

Maybe you could.

I stopped collecting comics around 1990, so I missed the whole Valiant craze.

So my introduction to Valiant Comics was when a reseller I knew mailed me a copy of Archer & Armstrong #0 to make me aware of this fairly new company while deployed with the Army. I was locked in from there!

And for the next year or two, it was loads of fun watching this wonderful company expand its hobby influence. I phoned the Marketing department one time to inquire how I could purchase a Gold Variant of my now beloved Archer & Armstrong #0 and was surprised to have Steve Massarsky pick up. It was a short but friendly discussion, and he gave me the address to write in and share my love of the company. Afterwards, they sent me my first Archer & Armstrong #0 Gold in a thick white mailer.

Around 1993-1994, Valiant encouraged comic book groups to celebrate its success across the country by creating a party kit. It included free Gold Variant books, a video to be played at the party where creators shared the road ahead, and art sample sheets that contained images of future stories and characters. Also, a quiz of Valiant character history which was to be conducted at the party so attendees could win those Gold Variant books. I won the VHS tape and the sample sheets, and later on also picked up the Valiant quiz sheet.

A few years back I posted pictures of that party kit I had won, and received a message from Dinesh Shamdasani (Valiant Entertainment co-founder) asking if he could purchase the kit from me. They wanted to use the sample sheet art in some of the hardcover collections. So he is the owner of that celebration kit now. I still have the Valiant quiz sheet, which is a fun and unique little piece of what made this company great.

I can't believe Valiantman hasn't started this over the last 10 years.

hm

???

(shrug)

:idea: Oh, because my NAME is Valiantman you think I like Valiant comics?

Sorry... I'm a fan of Prince Valiant. :sorry:

:kidaround:

I can't believe Valiantman hasn't started this over the last 10 years.

hm

???

(shrug)

:idea: Oh, because my NAME is Valiantman you think I like Valiant comics?

Sorry... I'm a fan of Prince Valiant. :sorry:

:kidaround:

Terrible, terrible Sunday paper fodder. Don't insult your name like that!

Edited by Dungeon 2.0

I stopped collecting comics around 1990, so I missed the whole Valiant craze.

So my introduction to Valiant Comics was when a reseller I knew mailed me a copy of Archer & Armstrong #0 to make me aware of this fairly new company while deployed with the Army. I was locked in from there!

And for the next year or two, it was loads of fun watching this wonderful company expand its hobby influence. I phoned the Marketing department one time to inquire how I could purchase a Gold Variant of my now beloved Archer & Armstrong #0 and was surprised to have Steve Massarsky pick up. It was a short but friendly discussion, and he gave me the address to write in and share my love of the company. Afterwards, they sent me my first Archer & Armstrong #0 Gold in a thick white mailer.

Around 1993-1994, Valiant encouraged comic book groups to celebrate its success across the country by creating a party kit. It included free Gold Variant books, a video to be played at the party where creators shared the road ahead, and art sample sheets that contained images of future stories and characters. Also, a quiz of Valiant character history which was to be conducted at the party so attendees could win those Gold Variant books. I won the VHS tape and the sample sheets, and later on also picked up the Valiant quiz sheet.

A few years back I posted pictures of that party kit I had won, and received a message from Dinesh Shamdasani (Valiant Entertainment co-founder) asking if he could purchase the kit from me. They wanted to use the sample sheet art in some of the hardcover collections. So he is the owner of that celebration kit now. I still have the Valiant quiz sheet, which is a fun and unique little piece of what made this company great.

Cool stuff. I missed the boat because of stupid girls.

Hey, I tried.

I requested, was told a "poll" was needed. I have no interest in starting that poll, because I don't wish the results to be swayed by personal feelings.

Maybe you could.

But for years you've seen the futility of polls in this place. I'd hate to waste words, and start another war. Better to just lump it all in with copper books. All eight of us who read and post here know enough collectively, anyway.