• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OBSCURE DC'S! - Post 'em if you love 'em!
5 5

395 posts in this topic

I've always been enamored of the non-superhero DC books from a variety of ages. What's not to like; well written stories, above average artwork and a variety of interesting subject matter. If you look at all the obscure material DC published it really spans quite a breadth of material. And they seemed to have consistently publish this variety over the years. I'm always on the lookout for something fun to add to the collection at conventions and thought it would be fun to share some of this stuff with fellow minded collectors.

For starters here's an early Gang Buster. I really like these early numbers and the line drawn covers. A very impactful cover with a great big logo screaming, "Buy Me!" on the stands.

157876.jpg.770ef99ab6547c37ddf6667111c2adef.jpg

If you didn't care for crime and were a more serious comic reader you could always pick up a copy of Real Fact. These comics were filled with actual stories adapted from real life. They also had an early letters page with names and addresses of early fans. Interesting, they must have thought that readers of this comic were more literate than the rest of the line.

157877.jpg.303f51ef651b9d7b04141bdb7d002069.jpg

OK, this book is from the Silver Age but it illustrates how DC carried the obscure flag onward past the Golden Age. Plus I'm a sucker for this underwater Grey Tone cover and the big Rex logo.

Clearly a takeoff on Rin Tin Tin and Lassie but Rex was there to save the day whether it was on the land or under the water!!

157878.jpg.568c988aa649686fa83fe2a4d7a7e01f.jpg