• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,042 posts in this topic

Thanks Eric - interesting how Astounding had bedsheet format in 1942.

The Unknown Worlds was a bedsheet as well. They both went bedsheet for 1942 and part of 1943, then went briefly back to pulp size for about half a year before Astounding went to digest size and Unknown went away. Supposedly it was a choice between taking Astounding bi-monthly or getting rid of Unknown due to wartime paper rationing.

I think there were 16 bedsheet issues, Jan 42- April 43. But I'm not 100% sure.

Was at a local show today, and one dealer had a solid collection of pulps.

The one that caught my eye was Weird Tales 8/28, but only in Fair/Good (half the spine was missing). I was interested because of the REH story, but the seller informed me that it was so (too) expensive because of the first Tennessee Williams story - in our modern culture, I had no idea that people still cared about Tennessee Williams. (shrug)

I'm still on the hunt for reasonably priced early Weird Tales with decent paper.

He also had what looked like a nice condition Shadow #5 (1931), if anyone is interested.

The one that caught my eye was Weird Tales 8/28, but only in Fair/Good (half the spine was missing). I was interested because of the REH story, but the seller informed me that it was so (too) expensive because of the first Tennessee Williams story - in our modern culture, I had no idea that people still cared about Tennessee Williams. (shrug)

I'm still on the hunt for reasonably priced early Weird Tales with decent paper.

He also had what looked like a nice condition Shadow #5 (1931), if anyone is interested.

Sounds cool Steve. Where was the show? I didn't know anything about it.

It's also a REH mini-grail as the first appearance of Solomon Kane.

I figured it was high time I joined the club.

GRrr44X.jpg

Wow!

Serious gratz on that one, it seems to be the hardest of the four Lovecraft Astoundings to locate. (Goodness knows I've never seen an even remotely affordable copy.)

+1; HPL goodness, great pick-up Jeff.