• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

Except all of those books feature actual first (full) appearances. :baiting:

-J.

So what book features her first full appearance? :baiting:

TV Guide

:banana:

:roflmao:

Point being she's an adaptation from a cartoon, not an original comic book creation. Like the Transformers.

-J.

By this train of logic, any and all Walt Disney,Peanuts, most Four Color Comics and any comic book that derived after a TV appearance should be deemed worthless and insignificant.

-J.

TV Guide

Point being she's an adaptation from a cartoon, not an original comic book creation. Like the Transformers.

-J.

By this train of logic, any and all Walt Disney,Peanuts, most Four Color Comics and any comic book that derived after a TV appearance should be deemed worthless and insignificant.

It's irrelevant anyway. If a comic book fan wants THE Harley comic book, they are going to buy a BA 12. It's the first comic book appearance of the character. Same applies to the Gold Key Scooby Doo 1.

Truth is I'd rather have the animation cels to any Disney character rather than a first comic book appearance. But those are Disney characters and their fans have so many more things than comics to focus on from a collecting standpoint.

Harley Quinn is a Batman character and Batman is primarily accepted by comic book collectors, hence the push for BA 12.

-J.

TV Guide

-J.

+1

Sorry Jay :foryou: but the masses are not as purist as you may be. Transformers 1 sells fairly well, Star Wars 1 is on fire, BA12 is as liquid as they come right now, Scooby Doo 1 always sells well. I'm confident by now most people know where these books came from and it does not phase them because they collect comics.

-J.

TV Guide

-J.

+1

Sorry Jay :foryou: but the masses are not as purist as you may be. Transformers 1 sells fairly well, Star Wars 1 is on fire, BA12 is as liquid as they come right now, Scooby Doo 1 always sells well. I'm confident by now most people know where these books came from and it does not phase them because they collect comics.

Jay is likely just yanking chains at this point. No use repeating yourself continuously unless you get a rise out of someone.

-J.

TV Guide

-J.

+1

Sorry Jay :foryou:but the masses are not as purist as you may be. Transformers 1 sells fairly well, Star Wars 1 is on fire, BA12 is as liquid as they come right now, Scooby Doo 1 always sells well. I'm confident by now most people know where these books came from and it does not phase them because they collect comics.

The girl at one of my LCS' once said the same thing when I brought up the same point to her. lol

I personally find the Alex Ross graphic novel to be the more relevant book. :whistle:

-J.

I kid, I kid. I also really like Batman Harley Quinn but don't see it as THE Harley book. That would mean if Gwen were to crossover and leave the alternate universe a purist as yourself would say "Well, EOSV shouldn't be the most sought after because it was an alternate universe appearance". That's taking it to a whole other level of geek I won't go to. It's a comic book and a first appearance, not a what state were you born in black and white question IMO.

I'm curious to know people's thoughts on whether they think Batman Adventures 12 in 9.8 grade is a sell or hold at current market prices. I know there's been a lot of past discussions regarding buyer exuberance and eventual market price correction, although this is the one book and character that seems to defy conventional wisdom. I purchased my CGC 9.8 copy a little over 2 years ago for less than $300. When the book jumped up to the $800-$900 range, I thought it may be worth considering selling at that point and now I'm glad I didn't. I never imagined that the book would be selling in the $2000 range. Obviously, I know I will never lose money on the book based on what I originally paid for it, but I'm interested to know what others think in terms of whether the book has a lot more room to grow both in the short term and long term or if the current market prices represent the apex in value of what we're likely to see for some time.

Female characters are getting their due. Arguably the Wolverine of that genre. How's Hulk 181 done over time?

Unless it's a Newstand copy I don't see this as a $2000 book though. Call it $1800 where it has recently leveled off.

I'm curious to know people's thoughts on whether they think Batman Adventures 12 in 9.8 grade is a sell or hold at current market prices. I know there's been a lot of past discussions regarding buyer exuberance and eventual market price correction, although this is the one book and character that seems to defy conventional wisdom. I purchased my CGC 9.8 copy a little over 2 years ago for less than $300. When the book jumped up to the $800-$900 range, I thought it may be worth considering selling at that point and now I'm glad I didn't. I never imagined that the book would be selling in the $2000 range. Obviously, I know I will never lose money on the book based on what I originally paid for it, but I'm interested to know what others think in terms of whether the book has a lot more room to grow both in the short term and long term or if the current market prices represent the apex in value of what we're likely to see for some time.

Room to grow, especially if the Suicide Squad movie next year is any good. Isn't Harley getting a solo movie after that as well?

It's all really up to the Suicide Squad movie. If that hits, a HQ movie is a certainty. And if that happens, this book will only get bigger.

Deadpool and HQ are the most sought after new creations in decades, the difference being there are 100K copies of NM 98 out there and only around 30K of BA 12. And a lot of those are in lesser condition because they were bought by kids and readers, not collectors.

I'm hanging tight.

Even if the movie tanks, I think the downturn will be slight.

I have spoken.