• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Teen Titans
3 3

1,128 posts in this topic

I get and accept that some first appearances are subtle -- I own those Animal Man appearances. But all of them have neat and tidy explanations (first named appearance, in costume, etc.).

BB 54 - First appearance of Teen Titans. time Robin, Aqualad and Kid Flash work together. No formation of any team and no hint of future collaboration.

BB 60 - First named appearance of Teen Titans (set up off-panel by Robin between BB 54 and BB 60); First appearance of Donna Troy as Wonder Girl.

Fixed.

I find the Teen Titans Archives vol. 1 (starts with BB 54)

Lots of collected editions include supplemental material that isn't directly related to the subject, usually in chronological order. Since you obviously haven't been paying attention, many of us who realize that BB 60 is the first appearance of the Teen Titans have pointed out that BB 54 is relevant to the history of the Titans despite no team appearing.

and Teen Titans: A Celebration of 50 Years (keys off of BB 54) much more interesting.

You mean the book that was released right on the anniversary of BB 54... oh, wait... you mean the book that came out months after the anniversary of BB 54 and, coincidentally ( lol ), just in time for Christmas.

I just thought it was interesting that BB 54, which was already included in the Titans collected editions, was included in The Brave and the Bold Team-Up Archives. BB 57 & 58, which have been discussed previously in this thread, are, of course, not in there, since they don't feature team-ups.

I guess to me it's the same thing whether a group of people get together without a title and fight crime or whether the same people get together with a title and fight crime.

It doesn't faze me that they weren't considered an 'official team called the Teen Titans' in #54. They were still a team and that team went on to be called the Teen Titans.

Like I said, it's reasonable to me.

I guess to me it's the same thing whether a group of people get together without a title and fight crime or whether the same people get together with a title and fight crime.

It doesn't faze me that they weren't considered an 'official team called the Teen Titans' in #54. They were still a team and that team went on to be called the Teen Titans.

There's your problem. They were not a team in BB 54, regardless of what happened later.

Just like in nearly every other issue of The Brave and the Bold from issue 50 to issue 200, multiple characters got thrown together, teamed up briefly to accomplish some goal, then went their separate ways.

They were not a team in BB 54

Right, they were a 'team up'. I get it.

I'm just a little more liberal in my understanding of the big picture. Different strokes.

And I don't have any BB #54 or #60 to sell, so I don't have an agenda about it. I only own one BB #60 and it's about a VF so I'm certainly not trying to sway the crowd.

They were not a team in BB 54

Right, they were a 'team up'. I get it.

I'm just a little more liberal in my understanding of the big picture. Different strokes.

And I don't have any BB #54 or #60 to sell, so I don't have an agenda about it. I only own one BB #60 and it's about a VF so I'm certainly not trying to sway the crowd.

:cry:

It's Friday night gents...... youse guys need to go out and scout some tush..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

On my way to doing just that!

I get and accept that some first appearances are subtle -- I own those Animal Man appearances. But all of them have neat and tidy explanations (first named appearance, in costume, etc.).

BB 54 - First appearance of Teen Titans.

BB 60 - First named appearance of Teen Titans; First appearance of Donna Troy as Wonder Girl.

BB 60 also contains Robin's revelation that the Teen Titans formed after the events of BB 54. So, um, which panel in BB 54 do the Teen Titans first appear in?

I find the Teen Titans Archives vol. 1 (starts with BB 54) and Teen Titans: A Celebration of 50 Years (keys off of BB 54) much more interesting.

Why? We already know that the conventional wisdom says BB 54 is their first appearance. Lazyboy's citation is, actually, more interesting, because it's an example of a departure from the norm. Now, that said, comics.org is the single most authoritative source for comics info. And they don't consider BB 54 the first appearance of the Teen Titans. If I were interested in the Teen Titans, I'd definitely find that interesting.

That's fine if that's the definition you want to use, but we should be clear that that's not the universal definition of a team. A team is more than slapping a name on a bunch of individuals--and it's more than those individuals working toward a common goal. The teenagers of Hatton Corners, for instance, and the grownups and cops were all working toward the same goal as the superheroes.

It's not that they weren't considered an official team, it's that they did not in any way formalize their cooperative efforts, they didn't even agree to work together again. By your definition of a superhero team, every combination of more than one superhero working together is its own superhero team. You may think that, but that's not the understanding most people will have when you refer to a superhero team so go ahead and follow your own definition yourself, but when you're speaking in a public forum, I think the responsible thing to do is be specific about your definition and usage of the word "team."

It's Friday night gents...... youse guys need to go out and scout some tush..... GOD BLESS...

Excuse me, friend of Jesus? Could you speak about women in some way that doesn't reduce them to a sexualized body part? We're trying to make this hobby an inclusive one, so let's act as if people of all kinds may be checking this forum out. Pretty sure Jesus didn't talk that way about women.

Excuse me, friend of Jesus? Could you speak about women in some way that doesn't reduce them to a sexualized body part? We're trying to make this hobby an inclusive one, so let's act as if people of all kinds may be checking this forum out. Pretty sure Jesus didn't talk that way about women.

Hey Guys,

Lighten up Francis. doh!

I want you to meet Jimbo. Jesus' tush lovin' friend!

I am thoroughly amused at how this thread has brought out the snippiest of attitudes.

Seriously, who cares!!! This is about the TEEN TITANS.............. who gives a @#$%

I have no dog in this fight and read it for the pure enjoyment...... and to see how many idjets deny their 1st appearance 60

Well, as long as you are apologizing, I guess it's ok. But please try to avoid this behavior in the future.

Why? We already know that the conventional wisdom says BB 54 is their first appearance. Lazyboy's citation is, actually, more interesting, because it's an example of a departure from the norm. Now, that said, comics.org is the single most authoritative source for comics info. And they don't consider BB 54 the first appearance of the Teen Titans. If I were interested in the Teen Titans, I'd definitely find that interesting.

I'm not trying to debate which was the first appearance, I'm more trying to learn in this instance. That being said, comics.org is not infallible. I think the indexers and editors there do a terrific job of compiling data, but how would they know any more than those of us here which comic was the first appearance other than by their own interpretation and perspective?

Well, as long as you are apologizing, I guess it's ok. But please try to avoid this behavior in the future.

Not all posters here are men, my friends. Lotsa of ladies out there ❤️ the 60 ?

Not all posters here are men, my friends. Lotsa of ladies out there ❤️ the 60 ?

... my apologies if anyone took offense. It was intended as a joke. I watched a 20 something female cosplayer buy a 2 issue Byrne X-Men arc from my friend Gene at the last show..... we talked for a minute and she said her Dad was a collector and that these two issues were her favorite story and she wanted her OWN copies. I like seeing the gals get involved..... comics are fun. GOD BLESS...

.... I showed Judy this thread and she agreed that a night on the town would be a good idea for some of the posters (...she reads comics too :cloud9: )

..... D.C. had an ongoing strategy of trying new concepts out to gauge reader response..... it would seem BB 54 was a gamble that paid off....