• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

Yep, it went for a bit less than I thought it would. I figured it'd go for at least 3.5K if not 4K. A pretty good deal for sure.

I think the exposure on this 9.8 was low because of all the 9.6s that are readily available; it got kinda buried? There's been a recent influx of this book over the past few months so a lot of interested buyers have their copy and to see this book still reach over 3K is a good sign, imo, that it's worth more once these other copies go away.

Batman 608 anyone? When was the last time we saw a non-GLOD 9.8 for sale? That book may skyrocket in price, well over the GPA of $1,750 because it's been so long since one was listed.

Jerome

I think it is much more simple than that: many potential buyers of a 9.8 disappeared from the market, because the 9.8 was not available for a long time and they settled for a 9.6 instead. That's the case with me. I bought an 9.6 and I still can not find why it is a 9.6 and not a 9.8. And another thing is that with the price of 9.6 in decline, upgrading is not an obvious thing to do, unless you have a rather big wallet and are willing to take a considerable loss on the 9.6 on top of the high price for the 9.8.

The last 9.8 copy of the 608 RRP I saw for sale was on these boards probably more than a year ago now. I believe it sold for just under or right at $2k then. Haven't seen one since then. :sorry:

-J.

Don't you already have a 608 RRP? lol

Yep. :shy:

-J.

Obviously !

If J's talking up a book it means he has one, if he's talking it down or calling shill then he doesn't.

:baiting:

I sold my #608 RRP 9.8 for $2,500 but it took a looong time to sell at that price. I'm not sure there's much depth of demand above $2k.

The last 9.8 copy of the 608 RRP I saw for sale was on these boards probably more than a year ago now. I believe it sold for just under or right at $2k then. Haven't seen one since then. :sorry:

-J.

Don't you already have a 608 RRP? lol

Yep. :shy:

-J.

Obviously !

If J's talking up a book it means he has one, if he's talking it down or calling shill then he doesn't.

:baiting:

I sold my #608 RRP 9.8 for $2,500 but it took a looong time to sell at that price. I'm not sure there's much depth of demand above $2k.

lol Actually if the shill shoe appears to fit, I call it out regardless. :gossip: *see, most recently the showcase 4 thread in the SA sub-forum. And I wasn't aware that responding to an inquiry about the last time a book sold (608 RRP) qualified as "talking it up".... :sumo:

-J.

Yep, it went for a bit less than I thought it would. I figured it'd go for at least 3.5K if not 4K. A pretty good deal for sure.

I think the exposure on this 9.8 was low because of all the 9.6s that are readily available; it got kinda buried? There's been a recent influx of this book over the past few months so a lot of interested buyers have their copy and to see this book still reach over 3K is a good sign, imo, that it's worth more once these other copies go away.

Batman 608 anyone? When was the last time we saw a non-GLOD 9.8 for sale? That book may skyrocket in price, well over the GPA of $1,750 because it's been so long since one was listed.

Jerome

I think it is much more simple than that: many potential buyers of a 9.8 disappeared from the market, because the 9.8 was not available for a long time and they settled for a 9.6 instead. That's the case with me. I bought an 9.6 and I still can not find why it is a 9.6 and not a 9.8. And another thing is that with the price of 9.6 in decline, upgrading is not an obvious thing to do, unless you have a rather big wallet and are willing to take a considerable loss on the 9.6 on top of the high price for the 9.8.

Yea, that must be true to some extent for sure. If only there weren't a bunch of 9.6's flooding the market at the same time, aw well. Like J said, it is what it is.

Not to derail the thread more, but I'm pretty sure I would be willing to pay $2K for a Batman 608 RRP should you ever want to sell yours J, no one has to know :gossip::baiting:

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

Jerome

Yea, that must be true to some extent for sure. If only there weren't a bunch of 9.6's flooding the market at the same time, aw well. Like J said, it is what it is.

Not to derail the thread more, but I'm pretty sure I would be willing to pay $2K for a Batman 608 RRP should you ever want to sell yours J, no one has to know :gossip::baiting:

Jerome

Are you trying to clean me out ? lol

-J.

The last two bidders were the ones willing to pay the most.

Like any other auction.

I still fail to see your point.

Buyer got a good deal on a tough book. Kudos to him/her.

-J.

There was an auction posted in the thread earlier and people presumably watched it end, if people are free to talk about the hammer price, census population, GPA, blue vs. SS, :blahblah:

I was simply commenting on this auction result, sure GPA will show 3K - I just don't think it's a strong result to support that price if you look at the bid history...correctly.

All things considered lol

I 100% agree with Bababooey."Buyer got a good deal on a tough book." ? It's no secret I'm not a fan of this book, but I also believe in "collect what you like" and not a fan of "what I collect is cool/great, what you collect is awful".

This is not a strong $3000 showing though Jay. Granted there was the 801 positive bidder willing to hit the $3k mark, but only 2 willing to do this (one being only a 20 feedbacker) is not a strong showing.

Also, and I do not mean any disrespect for the book, but is this book only popular among you guys due to the limited nature of the book itself?? Just curious. If that's the case, I 100% believe in time this will go down in price.

Edited by cujobyte

Book has been doubted in the past... I bought a 9.6 SS four months after it came out for 400... Even then the seller was skeptical here we are years later it's a 3k book...

lol Yes, seriously. Just look back at the beginning of this thread when the book was selling for $200 raw. A few skeptics were singing the same tune back then. 2+ years later, it's now a $3000-$3600 book in a 9.8, if you can even find one.

And by bababooey's logic, any BIN any single buyer opts to click on ebay or any other comic website's exchange would somehow be suspect unless some unspecified amount of other buyers are verified to be waiting in line to also buy the book.

That's just silly. By now it's probably safe to say the book's legend and value is firmly cemented. It will never be "cheap" again.

-J.

PS: And I got one because I've loved the cover since Day One. It's deliciously wicked.

Book has been doubted in the past... I bought a 9.6 SS four months after it came out for 400... Even then the seller was skeptical here we are years later it's a 3k book...

lol Yes, seriously. Just look back at the beginning of this thread when the book was selling for $200 raw. A few skeptics were singing the same tune back then. 2+ years later, it's now a $3000-$3600 book in a 9.8, if you can even find one.

And by bababooey's logic, any BIN any single buyer opts to click on ebay or any other comic website's exchange would somehow be suspect unless some unspecified amount of other buyers are verified to be waiting in line to also buy the book.

That's just silly. By now it's probably safe to say the book's legend and value is firmly cemented. It will never be "cheap" again.

-J.

PS: And I got one because I've loved the cover since Day One. It's deliciously wicked.

lol "bababooey's logic" :ohnoez:

Actually you're not far off because while many here feel a book is valued based on what others will pay - if others are willing to pay crazy figures for books that I might want aren't doing anything to convince me to pay those amounts, they're convincing me I don't need....a comic book, in this case, a pretty generic nothing happened comic that kicked off a so-so event but has a limited supply with a variant cover that doesn't appeal to me personally but obviously has fans.

(shrug)

A weak BIN might be a book that sat on e-bay overpriced, got relisted several times and then finally some schmuck comes along and grabs it. Conversely an underpriced book could be listed as a BIN and scooped up within a few minutes by some e-bay shark. (shrug) There IS a difference.

So rather than only focusing on final numbers claiming "the market has spoken" for an auction that fans of this book/thread were watching - my reason for speaking up was to look at the bid pattern - I saw a cluster of folks interested and active under 2K, when it was around $1650 with a minute left there was still interest and bids from various people then with 9 seconds left one guy swung for the fences with a 1K power bid and still lost. Only the " auction winner" was in that deep no one else was willing to go that deep.

I think some boardies over analyze auctions... imho... Can't base anything especially bidding patterns on a flash in the pan auction... That went under my radar and a lot of other people's... I follow that book on the regular... all I saw was a bunch of 9.6s don't know how that 9.8 surfaced...

I think some boardies over analyze auctions... imho... Can't base anything especially bidding patterns on a flash in the pan auction... That went under my radar and a lot of other people's... I follow that book on the regular... all I saw was a bunch of 9.6s don't know how that 9.8 surfaced...

Agreed. How many bidders do there need to be willing to pay $3000+ for some people to accept it? lol There are only 25 available in the first place, and the last two (and only two) that have come up for sale in a 9.8 in the last two and a half years have sold for $3k+. It really is simply a case of the market speaking, whether certain people want to "believe it" or not, it is what it is. For the doubters who couldn't even believe it when the book was selling for $200, I say to you that your best (and only) real form of protest at this point is to simply not buy the book.

Assuming you could even find one. (thumbs u

-J.

Agreed. How many bidders do there need to be willing to pay $3000+ for some people to accept it? lol There are only 25 available in the first place, and the last two (and only two) that have come up for sale in a 9.8 in the last two and a half years have sold for $3k+. It really is simply a case of the market speaking, whether certain people want to "believe it" or not, it is what it is. For the doubters who couldn't even believe it when the book was selling for $200, I say to you that your best (and only) real form of protest at this point is to simply not buy the book.

-J.

This site needs Like buttons, then I don't have to waste my time typing to agree with J for millionth time lol

And, yes I'd love to clean you out. You have exquisite taste in books (worship)

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

-J.

This site needs Like buttons, then I don't have to waste my time typing to agree with J for millionth time lol

And, yes I'd love to clean you out. You have exquisite taste in books (worship)

Jerome

Thank you kind sir. Your current sig line is sporting a mighty choice selection of modern variants as well. :applause:

-J.

It's coming up on year since I found one for $30 at a LCS, so I'd say I'm due for another (thumbs u

Agreed! I bought both of mine off the shelf for $9.00 (pre-LCS discount)been released and both got cgc 9.8 blue labels. I need another score like that!

It's coming up on year since I found one for $30 at a LCS, so I'd say I'm due for another (thumbs u

Agreed! I bought both of mine off the shelf for $9.00 (pre-LCS discount)been released and both got cgc 9.8 blue labels. I need another score like that!

Must be a great feeling getting your copies so cheap.