• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

I was the under bidder on FC 275 and FC 300. Every time I raised my bid, I was immediately outbid by someone's reserve so there is no telling what they might have sold for if a second serious bidder had been involved. I expected the 9.4 single highest graded copies to do well, and from what tb wrote, it sounds like the FC 263 might have done even better in a regular auction that didn't stop active bidding.

Posted this in a separate thread, but thought I would post it here as well for anyone who is tracking this thread.

I've been scratching my head about this one for a while and I thought I would see if the accumulated wisdom of the GA mavens might be able to help.

The DD Tells about Kites giveaway has traditionally been considered the toughest of the Barks duck books. There are three versions:

Southern California Edison (SCE)

Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E)

Florida Power (FP)

The CGC census has entries for the SCE and PG&E versions, but not for the FP version. At least that I can find ... which is the issue because I think there must be one or more additional places on the census where these books are listed apart from the two entries for "Donald Duck Tells about Kites."

I (think) I know this because:

Here are the only copies listed on the census for the SCE version (one copy in each grade):

The HA archives shows two 9.4s that are clearly not the same book; different cert numbers and one has foxing and one doesn't. So even if one of these was pressed into a 9.8, something is still off. The archives also shows a 9.0 that is clearly not the same as a 9.0 copy that I own. Although conceivably the HA 9.0 is now the 9.2 on the census.

For the PGE version, the highest on the census is an 8.5, but the HA archives shows they sold a 9.6.

I know CGC sometimes struggles with these types of books and ends up splitting the entries between two different titles, but I've tried plausible variations of the title and haven't managed to find anything.

Anyone have any thoughts on this admittedly esoteric inquiry? :D

Just got a great deal on these 3. They're low quality, but I couldn't pass up the deal.

# 2 is missing the CF. Anyone have one?

WDC&S 2 3 &4

P1100408_zpsrui2ycpc.jpg

P1100407_zpsf0srbyxq.jpg

P1100406_zps8x41tlcj.jpg

TERRIFIC BOOKS! :applause::applause::applause::applause:

mm

Just got a great deal on these 3. They're low quality, but I couldn't pass up the deal.

WDC&S 2 3 &4

mm

They are! (thumbs u

I really like those early WDCSs. The covers are lovely, and so are the interiors -- a great deal of craft went into those early stories.

WDC&S 2 3 &4

mm

They are! (thumbs u

I really like those early WDCSs. The covers are lovely, and so are the interiors -- a great deal of craft went into those early stories.

Too bad #1 wasn't part of the deal

WDC&S 2 3 &4

Congratulations, those issues are such an important part of comic book history and it is always nice to see new copies. You just might be lucky and find a coverless copy on eBay.

My own guess is that the last Mickey Mouse Magazine is slightly less common than the first 4 issues of WDC&S. The circulation started growing exponentially from month to month at this time after it had been stagnant in the years leading up to 1940. The issues between V5#12 and WDC&S 4 are relatively uncommon as far as Disney comics go, but they are nowhere near what I'd call scarce or rare. Of the 5 issues, my best guess is that WDC&S 1 could be the most common as kids would have been more likely to like it and keep it safe.

WDC&S 2 3 &4

Congratulations, those issues are such an important part of comic book history and it is always nice to see new copies. You just might be lucky and find a coverless copy on eBay.

My own guess is that the last Mickey Mouse Magazine is slightly less common than the first 4 issues of WDC&S. The circulation started growing exponentially from month to month at this time after it had been stagnant in the years leading up to 1940. The issues between V5#12 and WDC&S 4 are relatively uncommon as far as Disney comics go, but they are nowhere near what I'd call scarce or rare. Of the 5 issues, my best guess is that WDC&S 1 could be the most common as kids would have been more likely to like it and keep it safe.

I still think MMM V5#9 is the real transition issue, i.e., the smaller format and strip reprint content. MM 5#12 is just the last issue.

3141435470_858477ac1e.jpg

WDC&S 2 3 &4

P1100408_zpsrui2ycpc.jpg

P1100407_zpsf0srbyxq.jpg

P1100406_zps8x41tlcj.jpg

Congratulations! I love them all but for some reason I have always wanted a copy of number 4. (shrug)

WDC&S 2 3 &4

P1100408_zpsrui2ycpc.jpg

P1100407_zpsf0srbyxq.jpg

P1100406_zps8x41tlcj.jpg

Congratulations! I love them all but for some reason I have always wanted a copy of number 4. (shrug)

Can you show us the interior? I have a lot of early issues which I haven't identified yet. :banana:

Here is the Duck i got in my 2.75 year journey with Bob Beerbohm. In the end it worked out.

Hope my MUCH longer transaction with another board member works out as well

fc%20203%20Donald%20Duck_zpsfbazyzje.jpg

fc%20203%20Donald%20Duck%20bc_zpssaz1vvxx.jpg

Which book is it? The link to the front cover is broken (at least for me). I'm guessing it's the Golden Christmas Tree.

It took you 2.75 years to pry it out of BLB? :o

And you have a much longer transaction going on with another boardie? Ouch!

Edit: Never mind the first part; the link to the fc came back to life.

Edited by Sqeggs