• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-and-the-Bold-1955-1st-Series-DC-28-CGC-4-5-0767141001-/311404417347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4881265143

Yeah, it's a BIN, but whatever.

I'm soooo happy I sold a slightly better copy than this (graded a 5.5 by Metropolis, sold as a 5.0 by me) for $750 raw in 2006. needed quick cash to pay for renovations for the new house. probably made $2,500 total then. the books sold are worth at least $10,000 now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-and-the-Bold-1955-1st-Series-DC-28-CGC-4-5-0767141001-/311404417347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4881265143

Yeah, it's a BIN, but whatever.

I'm soooo happy I sold a slightly better copy than this (graded a 5.5 by Metropolis, sold as a 5.0 by me) for $750 raw in 2006. needed quick cash to pay for renovations for the new house. probably made $2,500 total then. the books sold are worth at least $10,000 now.

hm

-J.

oh yeah, i sold a TOS 39 and 2 40s, FF 5, ASM 4, multiple FF 48s and 49s (actually, I might have moved those at the right time), X-Men 2-4, DD 1, ASM 50s, a high grade Hero for Hire 1, multiple Iron Man 1s, Silver Surfer 1s, GS X-Men 1s, ASM 129s, a few slabbed GA Timelys and 1940s Batmans/Detectives, all to pay for painting and plastering that is now cracking.

Edited by the blob

oh yeah, i sold a TOS 39 and 2 40s, FF 5, ASM 4, multiple FF 48s and 49s (actually, I might have moved those at the right time), X-Men 2-4, DD 1, ASM 50s, a high grade Hero for Hire 1, multiple Iron Man 1s, Silver Surfer 1s, GS X-Men 1s, ASM 129s, a few slabbed GA Timelys and 1940s Batmans/Detectives, all to pay for painting and plastering that is now cracking.

Damn. Makes me kinda glad I've never sold any books to fund a home improvement project. Or ever, for that matter.

-J.

Haven't posted here in a while, so forgive me if this has already been discussed - I looked back few pages :eek:

I thought a clipped-coupon got a green-labeled holder? hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-and-the-Bold-1955-1st-Series-DC-28-CGC-2-0-1260101002-/311440402253?hash=item48834b674d

I think you get a green label specifying what the grade WOULD be without said defect. However, if you request a blue label when shipping to the CGC you get the grade that you'd get WITH the defect.

Haven't posted here in a while, so forgive me if this has already been discussed - I looked back few pages :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-and-the-Bold-1955-1st-Series-DC-28-CGC-2-0-1260101002-/311440402253?hash=item48834b674d

I think you get a green label specifying what the grade WOULD be without said defect. However, if you request a blue label when shipping to the CGC you get the grade that you'd get WITH the defect.

SAY WHA :o

Never heard of this (shrug) That's a great little loophole.

SAY WHA :o

Never heard of this (shrug) That's a great little loophole.

Hulk 181 ;)

Hulk 181 ;)

Yeah, I heard about that book - ok I got it. I actually learned something today.

You can choose to have a blue label and effect the grade or have the green label and the grade be based on the books condition, on a low grade book, a missing coupon rolls into the number and/or type of flaws allowable for a particular grade. i.e., a missing coupon is, after all just a large piece of missing paper - which is within the criteria for a 2.0 I would guess.

The idea being on a higher-grade book it's better to take the green and have the books grade labeled incomplete and based on the remainder of the flaws whereas a low grade book can "absorb" the flaw and still be the grade it looks.

Aye carumba, my heads hurts :insane:

It is more of a case of that "5.5" actually needing to be labelled properly as a 4.0/4.5 with that big of a piece missing. The price was fine if you look at it that way. I disagree with the way CGC is so lenient with pieces missing. I have a Strange Adventures #205 up on eBay that I was grading as VG with no takers as a raw book at local shows due to the missing pieces/chips. It came back as a 6.0 in a nice slab. lol

Add in the apparent edge tear in the middle of the right side, what appears to be a color breaking crease in the bottom right corner, and a longer crease or tear (or scuff?) at the bottom staple and I am surprised this came back so high.

FWIW, Clink limits the prices on all books by not providing a back cover scan. It looks like there is a bit of a bend/crease in the tip of the top left corner of the back cover on this B&B #28 (slabbing issue?). If I am spending a few grand on a book I would like to be able to see both covers. That is not too much to ask, is it?

Edited by kimik

It is more of a case of that "5.5" actually needing to be labelled properly as a 4.0/4.5 with that big of a piece missing. The price was fine if you look at it that way. I disagree with the way CGC is so lenient with pieces missing. I have a Strange Adventures #205 up on eBay that I was grading as VG with no takers as a raw book at local shows due to the missing pieces/chips. It came back as a 6.0 in a nice slab. lol

Thats exactly why it didn't hammer very well.

FWIW, Clink limits the prices on all books by not providing a back cover scan. It looks like there is a bit of a bend/crease in the tip of the top left corner of the back cover on this B&B #28 (slabbing issue?). If I am spending a few grand on a book I would like to be able to see both covers. That is not too much to ask, is it?

They have done it for years and now CC has followed suit...however the same logic applies if you get a very nice 5.0 that presents super strong due to a gross stain on the back, by not putting that scan up the book will sell more. The customer won't be pleased but they make more money. You can ask for the back covers at Clink but they are slow to respond.

The ugly 5.5 with a missing corner sold tonight on Clink. $5501

Damn.. didn't a 4.5 just sell for that ?

This book confuses me.

-J.

Yup. Its a 1-1.25k point book right now all things considered.

We need it to hit $2K per point.........

The ugly 5.5 with a missing corner sold tonight on Clink. $5501

Damn.. didn't a 4.5 just sell for that ?

This book confuses me.

-J.

Yup. Its a 1-1.25k point book right now all things considered.

We need it to hit $2K per point.........

Why stop there!

Add in the apparent edge tear in the middle of the right side, what appears to be a color breaking crease in the bottom right corner, and a longer crease or tear (or scuff?) at the bottom staple and I am surprised this came back so high.

I swung at it and helped run it up but wouldn't go above 4500 on it due to the presentation.