• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USA COMICS #7 -- Which One Do You Choose?

78 posts in this topic

With the condition that the book would not be cracked, here is the updated voting:

1.5 --- 14

Phi the Governor

tabcom

october

DavidMerryweather

gino2paulus2

G.A.tor

kinzebac

Crimebuster

Peter in Portugal

Vision75

Thunsicker

gadzukes

goldust40

Johnny545

1.8 --- 8

Socratic Wonder

Mutie Fan

ciorac

sacentaur

vaillant

Sgeggs

comicjack

Pemart1966

Neither --- 3

MrBedrock

1koko

Primetime

Abstain --- 2

cousin itt

Rodan57 (?)

to the neithers and abstains...why not play (shrug)

fine fine lol

If these are the only 2 USA 7s left on the planet and I can't crack either of them, then I am taking the 1.8. Then I'd do an Ameri "mylar trick" by making a form fit color copy of that lower right missing piece and tape it to the outside of the slab. That would help a "little" with the eye sore missing piece. lol

hey, don't give away my magic tricks :grin:

Unless I'm seeing the staple creases wrong on the 1.8, it almost looks like the exact same staple placement as the 1.5.

With that in mind (and because these are both low grade books) I might buy both and swap out the interiors.

The 1.5 cover has a full staple tear so I wouldn't try to attach the cover to the insides of the 1.8. The cover would stay detached, but would have the nice interior pages. If the staple placement matches up nicely CGC might even give me a 2.5-3.0 Blue in a best case scenario or 2.5-3.0 Green in a worst case scenario.

The under copy would now be the brittle pages with the missing piece cover. I'd put that up at auction and try to get as much out of it as I could (hopefully $1300-$1500)

That's what I might try....... BUT in the spirit of the thread if I have to only choose 1 and not crack it open, I will choose the 1.5 because for me this comic is all about the iconic cover. I will then pray that the inside pages are only slightly brittle.

My thoughts as well, though I wouldn't bother slabbing the married copy.

I'd take the 1.5 in a heart beat over the 1.8 with a big tear like that.. That tear is just too much for me to enjoy having the book. I like to admire the covers and that missing chunk would ruin it for me...

With the condition that the book would not be cracked, here is the updated voting:

1.5 --- 16

Phi the Governor

tabcom

october

DavidMerryweather

gino2paulus2

G.A.tor

kinzebac

Crimebuster

Peter in Portugal

Vision75

Thunsicker

gadzukes

goldust40

Johnny545

DarkKnight

Knightsofold

Twisty1

1.8 --- 10

Socratic Wonder

Mutie Fan

ciorac

sacentaur

vaillant

Sgeggs

comicjack

Pemart1966

Skypinkblu - if it was free

Primetime

Jimbo_707

DavidMerryweather

Neither --- 3

MrBedrock

1koko

Batman_fan

Abstain --- 2

cousin itt

Rodan57 (?)

Immediately flip to buy a HG Timely --- 1

DavidMerryweather

:devil:

If I'm going to lay 2k out for a book I'm probably going to pass on both of those copies with their "issues" and add another grand or so to get something more collector "worthy".

If money is the issue it would still be better to wait until you have enough for a more presentable copy.

The 1.5 looks better but I'm not a fan of brittle pages (spelled turning to dust).

I think light tan to off white pages is the lowest PQ I'll accept on a book.

I'm not 40 yet and my great grandfather lived to 106 so I have to own books that will last another 65 years or until global warming destroys all life on the planet.

Brittle pages may not make it until my 50th... :eyeroll:

1.5 --- 19

Phi the Governor

tabcom

october

DavidMerryweather - would buy to flip

gino2paulus2

G.A.tor

kinzebac

Crimebuster

Peter in Portugal

Vision75

Thunsicker

gadzukes

goldust40

Johnny545

DarkKnight

Knightsofold

Twisty1

Point Five

Previous owner who had it graded.

1.8 --- 10

Socratic Wonder

Mutie Fan

ciorac

sacentaur

vaillant

Sgeggs

comicjack

Pemart1966

Skypinkblu - if it was free

Primetime

Jimbo_707

Neither --- 4

MrBedrock

1koko

Batman_fan

Nerv

Abstain --- 2

cousin itt

Rodan57 (?)

Edited by tabcom

i don't know about you but my name is sandwiched right between 2 VERY well respected Titans in the Hobby...I will stay where I am thank you!! and as GAtor stated this book was pretty nice in hand prior to slabbing. With the information that we know I think this is a NO brainer...I guess some just didn't read the entire thread.

i don't know about you but my name is sandwiched right between 2 VERY well respected Titans in the Hobby...I will stay where I am thank you!! and as GAtor stated this book was pretty nice in hand prior to slabbing. With the information that we know I think this is a NO brainer...I guess some just didn't read the entire thread.

My main goal is to not be a Titanic of the hobby. :wishluck:

My main goal is to not be a Titanic of the hobby. :wishluck:

:D I think your enthusiasm is definitely helping keep it afloat brother!!!

Received this response in an email last night:

" I had the book before it was slabbed and in my opinion there's no question (the) book with brittle pages is way better than a slightly better graded copy with half its cover gone. "