• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
25 25

9,258 posts in this topic

The Astonishing is certainly one of my favorite post code sci fi covers.

Great score congrats!

..... I'm embarrassed to say I'd never noticed the Astonishing 51 during all my visits to www.atlastales.com ...... what a beautiful cover. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... and JIM 16 :cloud9:

Picked this pair of 51's up this weekend at a garage sale mixed in with some magazines.

Put on your sunglasses as there is a bit of glare...

IMG_20150903_183054104_zpsb4hm5bzq.jpg

The Astonishing 51 is really nice, the Uncanny Tales 51 has some cover chipping at the top but overall very solid. Couldn't pass them up for 25 cents each.

-bc

Man, I wish I lived in your neighborhood!

The Astonishing is certainly one of my favorite post code sci fi covers.

Great score congrats!

..... I'm embarrassed to say I'd never noticed the Astonishing 51 during all my visits to www.atlastales.com ...... what a beautiful cover. GOD BLESS....

..... and JIM 16 :cloud9:

It seems to pop rarely on eBay or elsewhere also.

Keeping in the same title...

jim_2_zps90009943.jpg

I got this because I dorked up my "$3.00" tracking bid - accidentally forgot the decimal point (alcohol may have been a factor).

On the plus side, it was the only CLINK auction where I led from day 1 to close.

-bc

Keeping in the same title...

jim_2_zps90009943.jpg

I got this because I dorked up my "$3.00" tracking bid - accidentally forgot the decimal point (alcohol may have been a factor).

On the plus side, it was the only CLINK auction where I led from day 1 to close.

-bc

...nice. Here's a decent copy of an Atlas war that I'd wanted a nice copy of for ages...... unfortunately the tiny piece LLC came loose in transit..... but it's still a sight to behold. GOD BLESS...

NAVY%20ACTION%204.jpg

That one is a beauty. I love the depth of it, and the colors are cool (thumbs u

NAVY%20ACTION%204.jpg

The water ripples reflecting on the sub push this from a good cover to fantastic! (thumbs u

That one is a beauty. I love the depth of it, and the colors are cool (thumbs u

NAVY%20ACTION%204.jpg

The water ripples reflecting on the sub push this from a good cover to fantastic! (thumbs u

+1

Fantastic coloring on the cover down to the purple shadowing on the divers !

Thanks for sharing that beauty !!

-bc

While I hold no illusions that these war books will ever achieve the notoriety of their PCH counterparts, they do provide a much cheaper alternative with much of the same flair for the dramatic that so characterizes the House of Atlas. Stan really was running a tight ship there in the 50's..... for those who sought comics outside the mainstream. I'm still looking for the Navy Action 2 in sharp shape...as eye catching, to me, as the 4......with a fantastic amphibious assault cover by Russ Heath. GOD BLESS....

Those Navy Action's have some NICE war book covers! That October issue almost looks like Harvey Kurtzman type work.

Back in the mid '50's I used to love reading pre-code war & horror comics.

The war books would show human carnage (guys getting directly shot, knifed, blown up, burned by flamethrowers, dead bodies), and the language was peppered with typewriter upper case symbols to indicate swearing.

Some were re-used in post code books, and the "clean up" was very noticeable.

From apparent reality to pablum.