• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Three books i just finished this week:

Secrets: How Brilliant Marketing and Relentless Salesmanship Made Coca Cola...

Monument 14

The War Journal of Damon "Rocky" Gause-- If you want to know what a real hero is or what real hardship is, find this book. Similar to Unbroken but a whole different level of unbelievable.

I just finished reading Seveneves - Stephenson's newest book. The first half of the book is easily one of my favorite reads ever, but I have to admit, I didn't enjoy the direction of what followed.

Like azcards4ever, I'm also working my way through Erikson's Malazan books. I've read up to the sixth or seventh book previously, but now that the series is complete, I figured I'd start over from the beginning and work my way through - it's really good stuff.

Just finished reading Colonel Sun: A James Bond Adventure by Robert Markham, the nom de plume of noted English writer Kingsley Amis. This was the first "continuation" Bond novel published after Fleming's death in 1964 (it was published in 1968). It was a fun, fast read - basically Bond travels to Greece to thwart a Chinese "false flag" plot to discredit the British in the eyes of the Soviets. The story is low on gadgets and humor and prefers to rely on gritty action. I enjoyed it.

I just started reading the 2014 book on value investing Brandes on Value: The Independent Investor by noted value investor Charles Brandes.

I'm 90% of the way through money manager Martin Sosnoff's brand new book, Master Class for Investors - fabulous book, can't recommend it highly enough for anyone with a serious interest in investing.

Recently finished The Secret Footballer's Guide to the Modern Game by an anonymous Premier League footballer. Some good insights, very readable and fresh/up to date if you are football (soccer) fan.

Also read The Tax Guide for Traders by Robert A. Green, which I think is going to end up saving me a lot of money. If you are an active securities trader, this one is worth checking out.

I'm part way through Tim (The 4-Hour Workweek) Ferriss' book The 4-Hour Body. I've already gleaned enough useful information and insights to have made picking up the book worthwhile.

The Decisive Duel: Spitfire Vs 109 by David Isby

Fascinating reading. The Mk.I Spit was outclassed in almost every way by the dastardly hun. Were it not for being tighter in the turn the Battle of Britain would probably have been a different story... And we'd all be speaking German!

Wrapped up Patty Smith's 'Just Kids'. Heading to the beach soon for vacay, and am taking Clavell's 'Shogun', which I've never read. Seems like a good beach book.

Working through some old Robert B Parker Spenser novels (hard boiled detective) in preparation for the last two by Parker that I haven't yet read, plus four by the author who is continuing the series.

Parker passed away a few years back, but the character was so popular that a writer named Ace Atkins was hired to keep the series alive.

After recently getting an unexpected paypal payment I decided it was time to grab some of the new stuff to see how it compared to The Master

Recently finished "Girl In a Band" by Kim Gordon, it was quite good. Just started "Serling: The Rise and Twilight of TV's Last Angry Man," a biography of Rod Serling. It seems to be a little sensationalized or dramatic but so far I am enjoying it.

Lately I've been plowing through some books by Preston and Child...... a series about FBI Special Investigator A.X.L. Pendergast...... mystery, thriller, Sci-Fi, Supernatural, and awesome. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure these were recommended by a boardie in this thread. Really cool stuff..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm 90% of the way through money manager Martin Sosnoff's brand new book, Master Class for Investors - fabulous book, can't recommend it highly enough for anyone with a serious interest in investing.

Recently finished The Secret Footballer's Guide to the Modern Game by an anonymous Premier League footballer. Some good insights, very readable and fresh/up to date if you are football (soccer) fan.

Also read The Tax Guide for Traders by Robert A. Green, which I think is going to end up saving me a lot of money. If you are an active securities trader, this one is worth checking out.

I'm part way through Tim (The 4-Hour Workweek) Ferriss' book The 4-Hour Body. I've already gleaned enough useful information and insights to have made picking up the book worthwhile.

I'm almost done with Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future by PayPal co-founder and Silicon Valley billionaire and visionary Peter Thiel with Blake Masters. Fabulous book - it's succinct and dripping with insight, wisdom and vision. I think anyone involved in business and investing would get a ton out of it, not just those in the start-up or technology sectors. Highly, highly recommended - Thiel is a genius and has a lot to say about everything from education to biotechnology to government. Fantastic book.

I'm almost done with Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future by PayPal co-founder and Silicon Valley billionaire and visionary Peter Thiel with Blake Masters. Fabulous book - it's succinct and dripping with insight, wisdom and vision. I think anyone involved in business and investing would get a ton out of it, not just those in the start-up or technology sectors. Highly, highly recommended - Thiel is a genius and has a lot to say about everything from education to biotechnology to government. Fantastic book.

Awesome tip. I'll check it out. I'm in both the start-up and tech sector.

Currently reading "The Strain" trilogy. Underwhelmed, but I'll see it through. Have a major backlog of books sitting there and interrupting my comics reading... (I set myself a lofty goal of 50 books for the year and time is marching on!)

Are any of you active on Goodreads.com? I'd like to follow fellow boardies and see what you read and rate.

Right now I'm in the process of reading "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. This book is very well crafted and the prose that is interspersed is borderline sublime. I believe this was his first novel(?) and is obviously a labor of love. Highly recommended..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...... another good read was "Altar of Bones" by Phillip Carter (a pseudonym for someone I'm not sure of....)

Edited by jimjum12

Just finished two books. I'm trying to brush up on my old martial arts skills, so the first was How to Win a Fight: A Guide to Avoiding and Surviving Violence by martial artists, security experts and authors Lawrence Kane and Kris Wilder. It covers a decent amount of self-defense fighting techniques, but also focuses a lot of attention on preparedness, avoidance, escape, legal ramifications of getting into fights and the logistics of what to do in the aftermath of defending yourself, etc. Decent book for those of us who are not necessarily experts in combat/fighting, lots of common sense advice both in terms of actual fighting and other things you can do to defend your person and your freedom if you get into a situation where fighting is necessary.

The second book is the tell-all (well, more like "tell some") memoir by Hollywood "Poker Princess" Molly Bloom - Molly's Game: From Hollywood's Elite to Wall Street's Billionaire Boys Club, My High-Stakes Adventure in the World of Underground Poker. This was a quick, absorbing read about the former U.S. Olympic team skier who moved to L.A., hustled as a waitress, and eventually came to co-host and eventually run multi-million dollar poker games in both L.A. and New York which featured the likes of Tobey Maguire, Ben Affleck, Leo DiCaprio, A-Rod, billionaire Alec Gores, Rick Salomon (of Paris Hilton sex tape fame), convicted Ponzi schemer Bradley Ruderman, art dealer/playboy Helly Nahmad, etc. It's a quick, well-written, absorbing read - if you're a poker fan and/or like Ben Mezrich's fictionalized true stories, you'll like this better as it rings far more true. Tobey Maguire comes off in the worst light, as a cheap, manipulative, backstabbing, megalomaniacal, sociopathic control freak - I'll never watch Spidey 1-3 in the same light again.