• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,596 posts in this topic

I believe a name change does not unblock you. I got blocked one time over a misunderstanding and when I changed my user name I was still blocked.

Non-paying bidder: 2015ussluch

1. Aug-15-15 17:20

Him: Is it ok if I pay for this on Friday 8/21 please let me know if this will be ok thank you for your time

2. Aug-16-15 11:50

Me: yeah, Friday will be fine

3. Aug-21-15 18:40

Him: I have the cash for the book sorry I just got off work and the bank is closed I will deposit the money into my account first thing in the am I'm sorry for the inconvenience my day was longer then expected today

4. Aug-24-15 13:45

Me: Via ebay's unpaid item assistant, you have until tomorrow (8/25) before sale will be cancelled and a complaint will be lodged. Please let me know if you intend to honor your bid.

Haven't heard from him since 8/21. Case is closed and I was issued fee credit. No harm, no foul I guess, but was a waste of my time.

Am I the only one who gets uneasy when someone local asks for "local pick-up" and then when you reply with a suggestion of meeting somewhere public (you know, comic shop, Starbucks) you never hear from them again?

Buyer to add to the list - sjy209

He bought Batman & Detective runs off of me. Wanted to return them even before getting them. I received the books back and there were many issues swapped out with lower grade issues. I spoke to Ebay and it looks like I'm effed

Something like that happened to me, but with a NYX #3 and a Batman (52) #1. Sorry that happened to you. More and more of this swapping is going around.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine,a while back but he got his money back from Paypal.

He sold a raw Deadpool 1 for about a $100, the buyer messaged him and said the book arrived damaged.The buyer sent back a beater VG copy of Deadpool #1.

The buyer apparent;ly went on a crime spree and pulled simiiar scams with other sellers as he was suspended.Eventually, my friend got his $100 back.

Point being, Paypal has been changing up their policies on seller protection lately.

Seems like the market is just ripe for someone with very deep pockets to come in and make an ebay-style flea-market site that works they way all business has worked since the dawn of civilization: sellers take a return if and only if they agree to do so.

Then that someone needs to also make a paypal-like payment processing system that can handle volume & that can manage to not be considered a bank while also adhering to the credit card companies policies on returns & charge-backs. And to protect buyers in the event a scammer is just sending a box of german newspapers.

Seems like the market is just ripe for someone with very deep pockets to come in and make an ebay-style flea-market site that works they way all business has worked since the dawn of civilization: sellers take a return if and only if they agree to do so.

I'm sure buyers would flock to a site like that. Wait.... nevermind.

He bought Batman & Detective runs off of me. Wanted to return them even before getting them. I received the books back and there were many issues swapped out with lower grade issues. I spoke to Ebay and it looks like I'm effed

Something like that happened to me, but with a NYX #3 and a Batman (52) #1. Sorry that happened to you. More and more of this swapping is going around.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine,a while back but he got his money back from Paypal.

He sold a raw Deadpool 1 for about a $100, the buyer messaged him and said the book arrived damaged.The buyer sent back a beater VG copy of Deadpool #1.

The buyer apparent;ly went on a crime spree and pulled simiiar scams with other sellers as he was suspended.Eventually, my friend got his $100 back.

Point being, Paypal has been changing up their policies on seller protection lately.

I tried to put out a warning about this, but to many people couldn't comprehend.

My buddy sold some rare manga for $400. Buyer contacted him asking if he could do payments. No sorry. My buddy started getting suspicious because of the things the guy was saying he thought it was maybe a 'never received it' refund scammer-so he sent sig confirmation. Low and behold the dude refused to sign for it on 3 delivery attempts and made no move to go pick it up. My buddy's spider sense is intact. He still has the money too.

That hasn't kept them away from every other business in the history of human civilization. The only buyers that would be put off by it are those buyers that intended to play the switcheroo game.

You think sellers only taking returns when they want to when the buyer doesn't physically inspect the item they are buying before hand wouldn't turn off buyers? Good luck with that. And how would buyers pay for these items?

Does it turn off buyers when the buy stuff anywhere else online, like amazon or newegg or heritage, etc., without having ebay there to force the seller to accept fraudulent returns?

As far as how to pay - I guess you mean paypal wouldn't be an option for some reason. I'm not sure why not, but it doesn't matter. When I said someone with "very deep pockets", I was thinking some one like apple, amazon or google. They already have systems in place that allow for payments between third parties.

Amazon takes returns quite easily. (shrug) And with paypal you can always force (or try to) a return.

I just can't imagine an ebay like site competing with ebay/amazon/etc. if they made it difficult to make returns. What incentive would there be for buyers? Keep in mind we are generally talking about used products. You buy a new toaster there isn't much chance you get it and it wasn't what you were expecting. Comics, not so much.

The issue isn't accepting returns. The issue is accepting fraudulent returns. I doubt amazon accepts fraudulent returns, and no third party is going to force amazon to accept fraudulent returns. But that doesn't stop me (or anyone else) from shopping there.

As far as competing goes, I just don't know. I think that depends on just how fed up sellers are with ebay, and how well run the competitor happens to be. If a big third party like apple or google or amazon announced a flea-market site, I could see sellers taking a lot of their business there. And when you have a name like apple, amazon or google attached to it, I don't think the buyers are going to be put off by some clause buried deep in the user agreement saying that sellers are free to set their own return policies. (In fact, amazon's third party seller rules say exactly that.)

Buying & selling brand new toasters, books, video games, tv sets, bottles of hair dye and speakers are barely even the in the same zip code of retail as selling comics. How exactly would you deal with a fraudulent return for a book or speaker? What would even BE a fraudulent return for one of those items? A bundle of bricks? I'm pretty sure it's pretty easy to prove that the brick that someone sent back is not the subwoofer that they ordered. Now compare that with selling a comic that is easily damaged by the post office & getting back the same item that is just in worse condition & you being unable to prove that they sent back a cheaper copy & that it wasn't just damaged in the mail.

payment processing is a whole other can of worms too. And that involves tap dancing around being classified as a bank, keeping on the good side of the rules set up by the SEC and other regulatory bodies, and living with whatever terms & conditions that Visa/MC/AMEX/etc set in order to do business with them.

The issue isn't accepting returns. The issue is accepting fraudulent returns. I doubt amazon accepts fraudulent returns, and no third party is going to force amazon to accept fraudulent returns. But that doesn't stop me (or anyone else) from shopping there.

I wanted to see if this sort of thing happens on amazon. I went on the amazon seller forum and found that Amazon itself would not be possible to do this with, but it looks like it does happen to the marketplace sellers, so not even amazon is exempt from the buy, replace with old/broken, and return to keep the new product

I tried to put out a warning about this, but to many people couldn't comprehend.

Here is proof that the comics were swapped out, eBay didn't seem to care. This is only one of the many that were like this...

Original auction photo showing no damage:

20150903_084240_zps5adbjsuc.png

Book I received:

20150820_205559_zpsiwqlg7ud.jpg

20150820_205603_zpskin94ppu.jpg