• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,124 posts in this topic

What is going on with the friggin' book edges during encapsulation???

I sub about 2 subs a year and on every sub there is some issue - either the

labels are swapped or I've even seen a case where the book was in the wrong case all together.

This problem is getting out of hand though. It's the treatment of the tip ends on the books. The book weren't subbed this way, but are getting crushed on the edges during encapsulation. Over the past I've been the hell with it, it's not worth the drama, effort or time to send this back and get cracked and pressed out. I'm changing my tune pretty fast though. These three are books that just said the heck with it and sent to cosigner (I just didn't want to tie these books up any longer) As such I deleted the the serial on these.

157464.jpg

#2 Here's another Avengers 58 that I picked up under GP because of this defect

(what the hell do these guys got against this issue???)

157465.jpg

#3 This one burned especially since this is heating up...

157463.jpg

This is what I got back today!

I truly hate this! This was from a one owner collection that picked these up off the newsstands in the late 60's and cherished them. Not only that this has a cool color variant where the royal blue had less of a hit making the book a lot more purple. This smash instead of the bottom is on the top and goes all the way a few inches. Even if this was pressed again and re-slabbed I think the best would be a VF-

This book doesn't deserve this and just leaves me shaking my head!

If this was during shipping from sarasota then it's time to rethink the packing methods.

(None of the other 14 books were effected though, nor was the package beat up???)

157470.jpg

157468.jpg

157466.jpg

157467.jpg

This is beyond disappointing! I just don't get it, where is the quality control???

:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

yikes. not to nitpick but the Avengers #58 9.2 looks like it has a ketchup issue.

labels are swapped or I've even seen a case where the book was in the wrong case all together.

This problem is getting out of hand though. It's the treatment of the tip ends on the books. The book weren't subbed this way, but are getting crushed on the edges during encapsulation. Over the past I've been the hell with it, it's not worth the drama, effort or time to send this back and get cracked and pressed out. I'm changing my tune pretty fast though. These three are books that just said the heck with it and sent to cosigner (I just didn't want to tie these books up any longer) As such I deleted the the serial on these.

157464.jpg

157465.jpg

157463.jpg

I truly hate this! This was from a one owner collection that picked these up off the newsstands in the late 60's and cherished them. Not only that this has a cool color variant where the royal blue had less of a hit making the book a lot more purple. This smash instead of the bottom is on the top and goes all the way a few inches. Even if this was pressed again and re-slabbed I think the best would be a VF-

If this was during shipping from sarasota then it's time to rethink the packing methods.

(None of the other 14 books were effected though, nor was the package beat up???)

157470.jpg

157468.jpg

157466.jpg

157467.jpg

This is beyond disappointing! I just don't get it, where is the quality control???

Wally that's terrible, I would not be very happy. A call would be made. 2c

better yet, I have a conference in Orlando in a month, I thinking of driving over and

go talk to some one face to face about this.

seriously over the last four submissions of 15 books there has been at least 1 book

(sometimes more) that was messed up...

That's a seven to fourteen percent failure rate for me alone.

Hell, I have even nicer books that I'm almost afraid to slab because if this and that's just sad.

Honestly I'd be embarrassed if I was part of a company produced second-rate workman ship like this.

Are you sure it isn't the way they encapsulate in general? I find I buy books that somehow easily shift during shipping. They don't look like the pic from the seller and come off-kilt. I am thinking they need to make the cases a tad more snug to prevent that. I don't think it happens when they enclose per se.

Are you sure it isn't the way they encapsulate in general? I find I buy books that somehow easily shift during shipping. They don't look like the pic from the seller and come off-kilt. I am thinking they need to make the cases a tad more snug to prevent that. I don't think it happens when they enclose per se.

You are correct. The damage the OP is showing isn't caused during encapsulation. It is caused after the book is slabbed, most likely during shipping when the book is shifting around and banging up against the edge of the inner well. When the cover extends past the pages (as it does with a lot of older books) it is easy for it to bend when it is squished against the side of the well.

So the solution is to make sure you trim all of your books ahead of time to ensure that the cover is flush with the pages. Problem solved :banana:

You are correct. The damage the OP is showing isn't caused during encapsulation. It is caused after the book is slabbed, most likely during shipping when the book is shifting around and banging up against the edge of the inner well. When the cover extends past the pages (as it does with a lot of older books) it is easy for it to bend when it is squished against the side of the well.

So the solution is to make sure you trim all of your books ahead of time to ensure that the cover is flush with the pages. Problem solved :banana:

How about black plastic slabs. You wont even see the book. :idea:

Those are pretty wicked bends. hm

First off before you open the spoiler to reveal the grade look closely and think about the grade you would give it and post the grade you would give based off of the cover alone.

151711.jpg

151712.jpg

151713.jpg

151714.jpg

151715.jpg

Trust me even if you opened the book and rays of sunshine sparkled out you'll never think the inside would give it this much of a bump!...

SHOCKING ISN'T IT???!!!!

151709.jpg

Looks like a solid 2011 CGC 8.0 to me :eyeroll:

157464.jpg

157465.jpg

157463.jpg

157470.jpg

157468.jpg

157466.jpg

157467.jpg

I'm very sorry to see that you had these problems, and I would be pretty livid over it.

I think The issues with the books, especially the SS 4, look to be from encapsulation rather than shipping, but you never know. I recently sent in a major SA Marvel key for reholdering. The reholdering went fine, but the packaging on the way back looked like my 16 year old niece (who's attention to detail is.....lacking) was in charge of the shipping department. Just POOR service, and not the first time.

I'm now shipping submissions to a different Florida address......

Edited by makeminemego

First off before you open the spoiler to reveal the grade look closely and think about the grade you would give it and post the grade you would give based off of the cover alone.

151711.jpg

151712.jpg

151713.jpg

151714.jpg

151715.jpg

Trust me even if you opened the book and rays of sunshine sparkled out you'll never think the inside would give it this much of a bump!...

SHOCKING ISN'T IT???!!!!

151709.jpg

Looks like a solid 2011 CGC 8.0 to me :eyeroll:

ok, that's just a mistake. the 8 key is above the 5 key on the keypad. or they were multiplying everything by 2x that day (i thought it was a 4.0)

better yet, I have a conference in Orlando in a month, I thinking of driving over and

go talk to some one face to face about this.

seriously over the last four submissions of 15 books there has been at least 1 book

(sometimes more) that was messed up...

That's a seven to fourteen percent failure rate for me alone.

Hell, I have even nicer books that I'm almost afraid to slab because if this and that's just sad.

Honestly I'd be embarrassed if I was part of a company produced second-rate workman ship like this.

The problem that you are experiencing is nearly impossibly to remedy.

If a comic book has an overhang and the book gets jostled in shipping there is a chance that the overhang is going to bend in the holder. That's what happened to the Surfer #4 and the Avengers #58.

And since they can't prevent the holder from being jostled once it leaves their hands (no amount of bubblewrap can change the laws of physics) the only other option is to not slab the books and reject them.

I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

I'm guessing this book was supposed to be in a purble-yellow slab. Minor notes of ct or tape or glue or whatever, don't say "restoration includes".

Yup. They probably grabbed the wrong label color and QC missed it.

157464.jpg

157465.jpg

157463.jpg

157470.jpg

157468.jpg

157466.jpg

157467.jpg

I'm very sorry to see that you had these problems, and I would be pretty livid over it.

I think The issues with the books, especially the SS 4, look to be from encapsulation rather than shipping, but you never know. I recently sent in a major SA Marvel key for reholdering. The reholdering went fine, but the packaging on the way back looked like my 16 year old niece (who's attention to detail is.....lacking) was in charge of the shipping department. Just POOR service, and not the first time.

I'm now shipping submissions to a different Florida address......

I cringed so hard at the SS#4 :sick:

Edited by Chadwick

Nice of them to scrub my comments yet they won't comment on these QC issues.

What got deleted?

It seems several were removed. I won't repeat mine as I gather it was not deemed appropriate. (tsk)

I think it would just be a lot better if they were a lot more customer centric especially on this forum.