• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

I remember when this probation was in the works and being made, I thought it was stupid and 15 years later I still think it is, The buyer has a right to change his/her own mind. Ever walk into your local grocery store, drop something in your cart then when you get to the check out you put it back instead of buying? Same thing. The store doesn't "black list" you. If the buyer doesn't want to buy it and gets cold feet, or if the seller gets cold feet at the last second, neither should be put on a list for it to "warn other members" The whole system set up here is absurd. CGC forum states that they aren't responsible in any transactions that take place, but they'll put you on a list? Give me a break.

Kevin, buddy, I love you man....but you got your apples and oranges mixed up at the local grocery store.

These are little written contracts to buy and sell here. Offer, Acceptance, etc.

The "last second" you are talking about where the parties can change their mind comes before one party names a price to anyone who accepts and someone accepts. We've got that here too. The list comes up after they've committed to buy or sell and everyone's locked in and agreed to perform.

That falls under "a deal's a deal" because at that point it's sealed.

CGC's not putting anyone on the list, it's the members here.

We've seen some incredibly shady effers up in here and that list, if it serves no other purpose, doesn't let them hide in the shadows and repeat the actions over and over again. That's value.

I CGC forum states that they aren't responsible in any transactions that take place, but they'll put you on a list? Give me a break.

CGC doesn't put you on the list, board members do. CGC has made it very clear the PL/HOS list is up to us, not CGC, to handle.

I remember when this probation was in the works and being made, I thought it was stupid and 15 years later I still think it is, The buyer has a right to change his/her own mind. Ever walk into your local grocery store, drop something in your cart then when you get to the check out you put it back instead of buying? Same thing. The store doesn't "black list" you. If the buyer doesn't want to buy it and gets cold feet, or if the seller gets cold feet at the last second, neither should be put on a list for it to "warn other members" The whole system set up here is absurd. CGC forum states that they aren't responsible in any transactions that take place, but they'll put you on a list? Give me a break.

The huge majority of the people on the probation list aren't on there because they "changed their mind". I managed a retail store for a number of years, and your comparison is completely off-base. The majority -- again, not EVERY single case, because no one situation is necessarily 100% similar -- are more akin to the people who tried to switch price tags on a item to get it for a lower price, or people who tried to return merchandise they stole to get store credit, or people who flat out tried to shoplift, or people whose behavior in dealing with a transaction was so out of line, that they caused a major disruption to the running of the store. THOSE people were essentially blacklisted, at least from the stores I managed.

Using a rare example as a means to ridicule a means to protect buyers and sellers from potentially dealing with persons who are going to end up being nothing but trouble is what's absurd. And "CGC" isn't putting you on a list, and if in 15 years you haven't figured out that, well no offense, that's kind of absurd as well.

If you want to deal with any number of the scammers, flakes, or bad seeds that have found their way onto both of those lists over the years, no one is stopping you. However, thank you for alerting me that, if I list a $400 book at some point down the road in a sales thread, you claim it, and then two weeks later after ignoring PM's finally come back with, "Nah, bro -- don't want it no more" and cost me a sale to someone else, that you'll see nothing at all wrong with what you did, then for one, I won't need "CGC" to put you on a list -- you'll be on my own personal "do not deal with" list.

The lists aren't perfect -- NOTHING in this world is perfect, for pete's sake -- but I'm continuously shaking my head at the people who ridicule what's largely been a deterrent to people pulling shady behavior, and a warning to members about people who may be problem customers. You don't like it -- fine, don't reference it and take your chances. But ridiculing it isn't productive -- you don't like it, come up with something better to help self-police the sales forums. If you can't, then all you're saying is nothing but noise.

end rantrant

Great post.

I CGC forum states that they aren't responsible in any transactions that take place, but they'll put you on a list? Give me a break.

CGC doesn't put you on the list, board members do. CGC has made it very clear the PL/HOS list is up to us, not CGC, handle.

Exactly. It doesn't even prevent anyone from doing business on the boards. Just a warning to others.

Kevin, buddy, I love you man....but you got your apples and oranges mixed up at the local grocery store.

These are little written contracts to buy and sell here. Offer, Acceptance, etc.

The "last second" you are talking about where the parties can change their mind comes before one party names a price to anyone who accepts and someone accepts. We've got that here too. The list comes up after they've committed to buy or sell and everyone's locked in and agreed to perform.

We've seen some incredibly shady effers up in here and that list, if it serves no other purpose, doesn't let them hide in the shadows and repeat the actions over and over again. That's value.

:troll:

QUESTION

To nominate someone for PL or HOS, you have to mention it here 3 days along with a PM stating that in 3 days you are nominating them for the PL or HOS?

I have decided to give the party I am having difficultly with 5 days to get their mess together and that I will be nominating them in a week from now, so if I want the choice made next Friday, I still have to nominate them on Tuesday?

QUESTION

To nominate someone for PL or HOS, you have to mention it here 3 days along with a PM stating that in 3 days you are nominating them for the PL or HOS?

I have decided to give the party I am having difficultly with 5 days to get their mess together and that I will be nominating them in a week from now, so if I want the choice made next Friday, I still have to nominate them on Tuesday?

I think those are 'at least' numbers. So doing it five days after a warning instead of three days should be fine.

QUESTION

I would send them the PM today letting them know you will be nominating them for the PL. If you decide to give them a couple of extra days then you can but by doing it now it doesn't tie you up if they keep flaking.

I don’t get the "troll" thing. He is absolutely right. It’s just dishonest to state a purchase and then cancel it.

We have even an emoticon to make it the less equivocal possible: one is doing it consciously when he decides to purchase a book, and unless there is a further discussion and/or negotiation with the seller, there are no reasons for which he should run away like nothing has happened. :P

I don’t get the "troll" thing. He is absolutely right. It’s just dishonest to state a purchase and then cancel it.

We have even an emoticon to make it the less equivocal possible: one is doing it consciously when he decides to purchase a book, and unless there is a further discussion and/or negotiation with the seller, there are no reasons for which he should run away like nothing has happened. :P

Kevin76 is a troll. I agree with comix4fun, although I find him to be remarkably distasteful when it comes to celebrity signatures. But I digress.

Kevin76 is a troll. I agree with comix4fun, although I find him to be remarkably distasteful when it comes to celebrity signatures. But I digress.

You didn't feel that way when you asked Burt Reynolds to sign across your tits. (tsk)

So now that there is a return policy required in each sales thread, doesn't that give a buyer a way out? I agree with those that feel that if a buyer didn't follow through after a deal, he's wrong to do so, but to allow the seller to ship it and then the buyer ship it back appears to be a waste of time and money. What's the seller really losing when a deal flakes? Who wants to add to that misery by forfeiting cash too? I say move on, but go ahead with the flaming process. I'd never nominate anyone for buyers remorse in any degree.

You can state your return policy is "no returns". You also can say you aren't paying return shipping which could discourage "I changed my mind" returns.
Theres another can of worms, "no returns" I guess if you get a damaged slab or shaken damaged book like the ones Wally posted...you're skrewed?

You can state your return policy is "no returns". You also can say you aren't paying return shipping which could discourage "I changed my mind" returns.
Theres another can of worms, "no returns" I guess if you get a damaged slab or shaken damaged book like the ones Wally posted...you're skrewed?

I don't think it can save someone from the probation list if the buyer receives something that is different from what they purchased. Have return policies in the past ever "saved" anyone from getting put on the list?

No worms. You offer insurance. They take it and insurance can be claimed. They pass and you pack in a reasonable way it's on them for passing.

No returns is only undone for material breach ( you sent something materially different than agreed upon ) just like in any other business deal.

Pretty simple

QUESTION

I would send them the PM today letting them know you will be nominating them for the PL. If you decide to give them a couple of extra days then you can but by doing it now it doesn't tie you up if they keep flaking.

I have done that. Thanks Revat and CAHokie