• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES on MTV (01-2016)

64 posts in this topic

The Shannara Chronicles is a new TV series based on the best-selling fantasy novels by Terry Brooks. Set thousands of years after the destruction of our civilization, the story follows an Elven Princess, Amberle, a half-human half-elf, Wil, and a human, Eretria, as they embark on a quest to stop a Demon army from destroying the Four Lands.

The Shannara Chronicles stars Poppy Drayton, Austin Butler, Ivana Baquero, Manu Bennett and John Rhys-Davies. The series is executive produced by Jon Favreau, Al Gough, Miles Millar, Dan Farah, Jonathan Liebesman and author Terry Brooks.

:o

WHOA!

I thought the same thing when I read MTV was the targeted channel. But then when I saw that trailer, it made me consider watching this show.

I really enjoyed these books when I was a kid. I'm not sure how they would play out now.

At first I thought you had written Shanhara Chronicles Nick. :(

Graham! How the heck are you doing?

:hi:

This is based on Terry Brooks' first trilogy of books.

- The Sword of Shannara

- The Elfstones of Shannara

- The Wishsong of Shannara

Though it jumps ahead fo the Elfstone storyline. And he seems happy with what he has seen so far.

Terry Brooks: MTV is Doing The Shannara Chronicles Right

Paste Magazine: Did the trailer screening affirm that they weren’t wrecking your stuff?

Brooks: No, I’ve been privy to the episodes all along. I think I was concerned about what it would feel like to an audience seeing it for the first time. Would they think it was strong enough? Wonderful and awesome enough? And they did.

Over the years, there had been a lot of talk about filming in one form or another, mostly movies—back in the day when that was the way to go. The fans have always had tremendous expectations and they have said to me, “Do not screw this up. If you’re going to do it, do it right.” And so I carry that set of orders into battle, and I’m well aware of the fact that they are judging this thing based on their own feelings in connections with the book that’s more than 30 years old.

Well its probably been 30 years since I read the original trilogy but I have to say the trailer has me sold. very high production values, I think HBO's success with GoT has shown that episodic TV is the way to go for long form storytelling and it works. So far so good.

At first I thought you had written Shanhara Chronicles Nick. :(

Graham! How the heck are you doing?

:hi:

This is based on Terry Brooks' first trilogy of books.

- The Sword of Shannara

- The Elfstones of Shannara

- The Wishsong of Shannara

Though it jumps ahead fo the Elfstone storyline. And he seems happy with what he has seen so far.

Terry Brooks: MTV is Doing The Shannara Chronicles Right

Paste Magazine: Did the trailer screening affirm that they weren’t wrecking your stuff?

Brooks: No, I’ve been privy to the episodes all along. I think I was concerned about what it would feel like to an audience seeing it for the first time. Would they think it was strong enough? Wonderful and awesome enough? And they did.

Over the years, there had been a lot of talk about filming in one form or another, mostly movies—back in the day when that was the way to go. The fans have always had tremendous expectations and they have said to me, “Do not screw this up. If you’re going to do it, do it right.” And so I carry that set of orders into battle, and I’m well aware of the fact that they are judging this thing based on their own feelings in connections with the book that’s more than 30 years old.

Hi Nick! :hi: Doing good. Our 4 month old is keeping us busy. How are you doing?

I haven't heard of the Shannara Chronicles before or the books, but I'll keep my eye out for it and check out the books if I like it.

The Shannara Chronicles Poster & MTV NYCC Schedule Released

MTV today announced its New York Comic Con lineup for October 9 and 10, featuring the return of “Teen Wolf” and the highly-anticipated convention debut of the new epic Sci-Fi/Fantasy drama, “The Shannara Chronicles.” Each can’t-miss panel will feature cast and producers from the shows and the debut of exclusive New York Comic Con trailers. Additionally, both casts will be signing exclusive New York Comic Con collector’s edition items.

MTV’S NEW YORK COMIC CON 2015 SCHEDULE

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 9

The Shannara Chronicles Signing: 5:30-6:30pm (Random House booth, #2204)

Cast members Poppy Drayton, Ivana Baquero, Manu Bennett to sign character portrait cards exclusive to New York Comic Con; author and Executive Producer Terry Brooks to sign copies of an exclusive edition of “The Elfstones of Shannara” book, the basis for the MTV series.

vbh62B0.png

‘The Shannara Chronicles’ Review: MTV Offers a Colorful Fantasy Alternative to ‘Game of Thrones’

The Shannara Chronicles is based on the Shannara books by author Terry Brooks, of which there are many spinoffs and prequels beyond the initial trilogy. This TV series iteration is most closely based on the second book of Brooks’ trilogy, The Elfstones of Shannara, which revolves around a quest involving magic elfstones and a dying tree.

I’ve seen the first four episodes of the series, and what’s most impressive is the world building of the show. MTV clearly invested a lot into the production, which really serves to sell the scale and mythology of the story being told. Gorgeous New Zealand vistas bring the dynamic landscape to life, and the production design is impressively tactile, fully realizing an elegant Elven palace or a dingy druid temple.

If you’re looking for something with the level of darkness or action of Game of Thrones, you’ll be sorely disappointed. But The Shannara Chronicles offers an alternative to Thrones’ dim and grim fantasy, focusing on optimism and mythology more than devastating emotional stories and dire situation after dire situation. (It’s not a straight comparison, but the video game Skyrim kept coming to mind as I was watching the show). At the same time, the series makes clear that the stakes are real and the fate of the world is in the hands of this unlikely trio. It’s just that they’re impossibly good-looking, young, and keen on flirty banter, which it turns out is actually not a terrible thing to have in a high-fantasy series. Color me pleasantly surprised.

4 stars: Very good — Damn fine television

:whee:

I have not read the books, but thought it was a fun start watching the pilot last night. My kids (10 and 11) liked it so we will be adding it to the weekly family TV watch list. lol

Edited by kimik