• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

I sold a $1000 book to a boardie, paid for a signature of course, and first it never appeared in the tracking system. It finally appeared, once it was delivered and signed for. I messaged the boardie, and he hadn't signed for it. It was waiting in his PO box. I'm hoping :wishluck: that it was because it was a PO box. But even then, a signature is a signature.

I had a good PO deliveryman who came to our house unless he was on vacation. He knew that we have a small child, an infant at the time and a toddler now. He understood about not knocking and would leave non-signature packages at the door. He's been shifted somewhere else, and the new people will sometimes ignore the "please don't knock" sign that we use when the toddler is napping. And they have started putting the slips about picking up signature packages in the mailbox even when we are home and don't have a sign on the door.

And one of the two people I see now griped about the boxes I ship: "Takes up a lot of room, you know." I'm thinking, "Hell, this pickup is part of what funds your employer." Plus, it's your job. Keep your whining to yourself. I was receiving a box from CGC that time, too. So drop off and pick up. I make a bit of money buying and selling, and here's this jerk complaining about how I help pay the bills. :/

Edited by DavidTheDavid

So, basically, we did everything right (shipped with tracking number, insurance included) USPS mess it up, and they are right?

Priority must be signed for, but USPS can simply says " we delivered it" and that's it? I am out $50 just because they say so?

It's not about the money, it's about USPS not following his own rules. So what is the difference if I ship it media mail without insurance? The result would be the same

Edited by marmat

So, basically, we did everything right (shipped with tracking number, insurance included) USPS mess it up, and they are right?

Priority must be signed for, but USPS can simply says " we delivered it" and that's it? I am out $50 just because they say so?

It's not about the money, it's about USPS not following his own rules. So what is the difference if I ship it media mail without insurance? The result would be the same

Priority does not have to be signed for.

USPS must have a record that it was delivered

edit to add:

It could easily have been delivered to another business in the same general area.

Edited by InvstmntComcSuply

Has anyone ever had a book just completely disappear in the mail? It appears that's what I'm dealing with.

Not a comic book , but $300+ worth of graded coins. I sold them on ebay, so there was lots of pictures. I was paid via paypal, so there was a paper trail and value. I chose the Small Priority flat rate box and also paid for Signature confirmation. As time went by, my buyer got nothing and tracking showed the package left Boston. I agreed that the buyer should open a case (I would have myself), it was far too long and no updates. A week or so later, the actual box (see photo) was delivered with the note. My coins were somewhere within the USPS facility somewheres and to this day, I'm out my money and have never seen the coins again. I was never refunded for the postage nor was I refunded for the signature conf. They never got a sig. Somewhere there is a pile of lost stuff and I did submit the pics, Graded Cert numbers etc and I am convinved there was a Yankee Swap that following Christmas and someone got the coins. So yes I always abuse the USPS whenever I can. I ship comics via Media Mail when ever I get the chance and will continue to do so. Its my own insurance repayment policy. Eff them

image_zps96af10c6.jpeg

Has anyone ever had a book just completely disappear in the mail? It appears that's what I'm dealing with.

Not a comic book , but $300+ worth of graded coins. I sold them on ebay, so there was lots of pictures. I was paid via paypal, so there was a paper trail and value. I chose the Small Priority flat rate box and also paid for Signature confirmation. As time went by, my buyer got nothing and tracking showed the package left Boston. I agreed that the buyer should open a case (I would have myself), it was far too long and no updates. A week or so later, the actual box (see photo) was delivered with the note. My coins were somewhere within the USPS facility somewheres and to this day, I'm out my money and have never seen the coins again. I was never refunded for the postage nor was I refunded for the signature conf. They never got a sig. Somewhere there is a pile of lost stuff and I did submit the pics, Graded Cert numbers etc and I am convinved there was a Yankee Swap that following Christmas and someone got the coins. So yes I always abuse the USPS whenever I can. I ship comics via Media Mail when ever I get the chance and will continue to do so. Its my own insurance repayment policy. Eff them

I understand the sentiment. It's especially frustrating because they sometimes act like a kingdom unto themselves with no accountability, no attempt at resolution, and no recourse. You just have to take it and like it.

And to some this post would be called "Exhibit A", "Motive" and "A Confession". lol

And to some this post would be called "Exhibit A", "Motive" and "A Confession". lol

They'll never take me alive. I'll spit in their eye

I am always amazed how strict and tight some people are in the PGM thread.

I just wish they could keep the same grading standards when it is time to sell their books..

I think Fred Sanford said it best, "We buy junk and sell antiques"

They seem to be doing this more and more lately. True story: a couple months ago I bought a comic from a guy in Florida. He sent it to me (in Atlanta) via USPS sig. confirmation. On the day of scheduled delivery, no one was home at my house. Midway through that day the seller messages me and says 'I see you got the book, hope you like it." I went online (from my office at work) and put in the tracking number, and it said something like "item delivered...signed for by J. Carri." Of course, I don't know anyone even close to that name. I get home later in the afternoon and sure enough, the package was sitting on my doorstep, in the rain of course.

The following morning, I go to my local P.O. to speak with a supervisor. I showed her the tr

acking info, and I suggested that we get to the bottom of what happened there, since clearly no one at my residence signed for that package when it was left on my doorstep.

She (the supervisor) said..."Oh, J CARRI must be the mail carrier..her name is Jacki Carrizosa" (or something like that)

I said "So, you mean to say that my mail carrier herself signed for my signature required package and just left it there on my porch?"

She (the supervisor) said "Yes, it looks that way...we've told them that they're not supposed to do that. I'll tell her again." :D

I'm not joking :facepalm:

Yeppers.....it has has happened to me here in Canada as well.just last week,my regular carrier was on vacation..i was expecting a parcel from Florida,from great board member count zero,he rules btw,and it had tracking..i noticed my mail was showing up at the buildings on either side of me,i have friends in both,and a personal birthday card to my wife had disappeared.anyways..it showed my parcel as having been attempted to deliver...and was dropped at a local pick up spot...well...it wasnt there,i called and went in person two days in a row...never even got a ticket to pick it up or anything,but i checked...after i called Canada Post to complain,i was given apologies,told that this person had been in hot water for the same thing before,that it was not my regular carrier...then after two days,my parcel mysteriously appears,with the missing card taped to it,opened,but the cash(foolish inlaws) still there/replaced.they had put a fifty in there,now it was two twenties and two fins.......legal action is being taken,and my regular guy knocked on my door to say sorry..not his fault,but really solid of him...

Edited by porcupine48

My dad is a mail carrier and he takes pride in taking care of peoples packages and its a shame that there arent more people that do the same and take pride at their job and career...keep fighting the good fight sir.

I get that spoting sellers who are 'bad graders' is the newest sport but threadcrapping is still threadcrapping

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8846926#Post8846926

I find it refreshing.

Why the heck shouldn't people speak up for better standards.

A private message to a seller will not work.

Skirting around the reality doesn't work.

Making them take it on the chin is effective and opens more eyes.

Selling here is a privilege, not a right.

If you sell here for free than you should be held to a higher standard.

That thread is even worse than eBay.

Red Hood, don’t get me wrong, but you are bordering the presumptuous, and not only here, but in many of your last posts that I have read on similar topics…

Hector is right, mostly because the seller does not seem to be overgrading on purpose. All it would take is to tell him, and then give advice via PM.

That is, say "I believe you have overgraded the books, you might want to check the PGM forum" is OK, but not the sarcasm et al. That is threadcrapping, you get the point…

Second, which kind of "privilege" might be selling on a public forum area, is beyond me. Even if it is hosted by CGC it remains a public forum.

I can understand your point and I may be cynical lately but it is a privilege to sell here because sellers don't pay any fees to do so, besides PayPal fees.

I don't believe that particular seller is over-grading on purpose but with the

influx of hit and run sellers that fill this place now.

It doesn't hurt to just take a stance and say enough already.

I don't think creating a gentleman's club of etiquette will work when

trying to show people the error of their ways.

I think we've gotten a little too sensitive about what constitutes thread crapping . I've often expressed the opinion that pointing out factual inaccuracies in a sales thread is not crapping. Those grades are inaccurate...that's a fact, no matter what grading standards you choose to apply. That thread warrants a mild thumping, just to keep things real 2c