• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I keep hearing mention of GIC 87, what does a mid grade copy 5.5 go for?

Roughly $500, but it can fluctuate up and down a bit.

I would say closer to $550 - $600 if you can find one

I keep hearing mention of GIC 87, what does a mid grade copy 5.5 go for?

Roughly $500, but it can fluctuate up and down a bit.

I would say closer to $550 - $600 if you can find one

Paid $500 shipped to France for mine last year, which I thought was a good price.

Edited by gojira

DC War were the first comics I read as a kid & read them for years before getting into any other types of comics - WWT, Sgt Rock, GI Combat and Unknown Soldier, loved them all. Also had the odd Blackhawk and Charltons like Fightin Army, Marines etc and Battlefield Action. I'm starting to collect the SA stuff, a full set of the MM appearances is the first goal. Are recent pickups allowed here? A lot of good information, will continue to follow, thanks.

sta042.087-01a_Savannah_zpskealz5yn.jpg

You can never go wrong posting Marie :cloud9:

Or any other war book for that matter.

It is a bit weird in the sense that it would hover in the same range as 4 years ago, but assuming it's held its market value at stasis, it's not weird at all that it's the exact same price because that just means that the Heritage proxy bid amount landed there. . . .in other words, it's an automated amount and the next bidders would have to have bid it up exact $1500- or something like that, not just $10-. It doesn't work like it does on eBay. So if the underbidder dropped out around $15,000, the book wouldn't have gone less or more than the $16,700.

2c

+1

Correctly stated.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Never thought about it that way

How the he'll is G.I.Combat not in the top 10. :tonofbricks:

I think you mean GIC 87.

As I recall, it was excluded on purpose for consideration, since one of the prior cover contests (that wasn't exclusive to just Heath covers) had already placed it at (or near) the top. But maybe I am not recalling this correctly ....

Andy?

Actually, because I had run a few war cover contests previously, and GIC 80, 87, and AAMOW 94 had been retired, due to their constant 1-2-3 placements.

However, in this particular contest, we were looking for Russ Heath's best covers. It wouldn't be fair to exclude those, so they were all candidates right from the start.

In the end, GIC didn't make the top 10. Now, I would say that it is probably my personal favorite, followed by AAMOW 94, but this contest doesn't just takes votes on people's favorite choices.

This contest asks for viewers at home to vote for their least favorite, and the books with the most votes against them, get voted off. It's similar to the TV show "Survivor".

This method may not get you the same results as polling everyone for their favorite cover, but I like the process and it is still fun.

Do I feel GIC should be in the top 10? Absolutely! But, by chance, it didn't happen this time.

...opening the contest to Heath covers from ALL genres made a significant impact on the final results as well. Many of the War enthusiasts see the market through "D.C. colored glasses" and this is understandable, but I was actually surprised at some of the Atlas war efforts that DIDN'T make the top 10. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

There are MANY incredible Atlas war covers by Heath. :luhv:

Can you guys help me create a list of ALL of Russ Heath's grey tone covers from only his DC war books? :wishluck:

I would greatly appreciate the help. (thumbs u :)

AAMOW 81, 100, 110-112

GIC 80, 87, 91, 93-100,103,104,113,119-121, 123

OAAW 124, 126

OFF 94

SSWS 131, 132

There are some other Heath covers around those same numbers that have a bit of a washtone look about them, but I don't think they're washtone or greytone as we on the boards have tended to define them.

It's interesting to note that there are only three 10¢ Heath washtones. I guess I thought there'd be more, but he really wasn't nearly as prolific a cover artist for DC as Kubert and especially Grandenetti during the 50s and early 60s and most of the 10¢ DC covers he DID draw were NOT washtone effect. The real bonanza in Heath covers during that period came from Atlas. Buttock's submission above comprises quite a tidy representative group.

Edited by Comick1

Can you guys help me create a list of ALL of Russ Heath's grey tone covers from only his DC war books? :wishluck:

I would greatly appreciate the help. (thumbs u :)

AAMOW 81, 100, 110-112

GIC 80, 87, 91, 93-100,103,104,113,119-121, 123

OAAW 124, 126

OFF 94

SSWS 131, 132

There are some other Heath covers around those same numbers that have a bit of a washtone look about them, but I don't think they're washtone or greytone as we on the boards have tended to define them.

It's interesting to note that there are only three 10¢ Heath washtones. I guess I thought there'd be more, but he really wasn't nearly as prolific a cover artist for DC as Kubert and especially Grandenetti during the 50s and early 60s and most of the 10¢ DC covers he DID draw were NOT washtone effect. The real bonanza in Heath covers during that period came from Atlas. Buttock's submission above comprises quite a tidy representative group.

Very awesome! :applause:(worship) Thank you!

So, this might be a stupid question, but I just got this book today, looked it up in the guide, and I'm wondering why it is listed as a grey tone cover...what is grey tone about this book? The light bluish grey parts of the tank? The bluish grey box for the lettering?

rmu5aq.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

So, this might be a stupid question, but I just got this book today, looked it up in the guide, and I'm wondering why it is listed as a grey tone cover...what is grey tone about this book? The light bluish grey parts of the tank? The bluish grey box for the lettering?

rmu5aq.jpg

I too have noticed possible discrepancies like this before.

Overstreet's main comics listings list other such questionable washtones as well.

I'm no expert in the washtones, so I will let the experts weigh in on this one.

But there are two other sources within Overstreet that might be pertinent as well:

1. In the new Overstreet, in the War Report, Mick has a list of all washtones. But he only goes through 1964, I think. And GI Combat 113 is from 1965.

2. Also in the new War Report, Andy has a list of key+semi-key war books. And this list DOES go beyond 1964. In this extensive list, he lists many books that make the list purely because they are washtone covers (and quite rightly so, of course). His list does NOT include GI Combat 113. But does include washtones that were published before and after this issue. Now, I am not sure if every single washtone made Andy's list. Only he would be able to tell us. :)

Well, it's a far cry from what I would consider a grey wash-tone, maybe just a wash-tone. I have several others that are listed as grey-tone covers and they all have a similar "painted" look, but also many other colors...so maybe that's the criteria...a washy painted stroke look...with or without any real grey...

There a variety of techniques that are usually grouped under the "greytone" or "washtone" moniker. More than one of these may be used on a cover. Sometimes only part of a cover employs a washtone technique.

1) Tempura painting in various shades of white/grey.

2) Craftint paper where the application of a special solution with a brush reveals an underlying pattern in shades of grey. Sometimes a second solution can be applied to reveal a different effect.

3) Charcoal, sometimes drawing on pebble-board which is textured

4) Color design wash that introduces different intensity or different colors in a blank area

The GI Combat 113 is an example of #2.