• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

I was just accused of scamming someone out of $16.

:whee:

And I even posted scans.

:whee::whee:

And it was for a book I sold for half of what I paid.

:whee: :whee: :whee:

Everyone is too busy discussing the prevention of scamming to actually deal with your scam.

Please try again tomorrow.

lol

Completely ignored. lol

It didn't have that special je ne sais quoi...

...which roughly translates into a strong butthurt vector.

Has anyone ever had a book just completely disappear in the mail? It appears that's what I'm dealing with.

I have had a few. One showed up weeks later and the buyer let me know. One never showed up. Both had acceptance scans at the post office on my side and then nothing after that.

Not much you can do.

But post it in CG so I can side with the buyer. I need something to do today.

:whee:

The worst for me was when it showed delivered, while I was home and knew it wasnt delivered. The only thing that helped prove my case was that in tracking, it showed attempted to deliver - business closed the day before when I live in a house. I still dont know where they actually delivered it to since address was correct on shipment info.

I'd like to ask for advice with an issue I have with USPS, never happened to me before and I don't know what to do at this point.

Story is I send a wrong book to a buyer and when informed I shipped the right book to him, and asked him to ship the wrong book to a dealer for consignment. It's not a big ticket item, we are talking $40 $50 in value.

The comic was shipped priority mail with $50 insurance.

The tracking number show that the item was "delivered to agent", but the dealer says he never received the package. He opened a case and this is what they told him:

---"I called USPS back regarding the case I opened on July 15. They said the case had been closed as "resolved" by the local post office investigating the claim. The only note left by the person who closed the case said that they called the customer. They were supposed to call me, but they didn't, so I don't know who they think they called, or if they really did.

The case didn't say anything about whether the item was found or confirmed lost or anything--all it said was that they called the customer. The guy I was speaking with at USPS support said filing a claim would be the appropriate action at this point.

I asked our receiving manager about how packages are received and if they're signed for:

"They don't give us a list, just have everything in bins ready to wheel out. The only individual signing that ever takes place is if any package is certified, otherwise they keep a name on file that they scan that serves as a signature when businesses pick up."

He also said that he'd never seen "Delivered to agent" before--our packages normally always just say "Delivered". He's the one that deals with those received shipments the most and so is most familiar with what the tracking normally looks like. So it does sound like there was something unusual about that package--our shipments don't normally say "delivered to agent". ---

Meanwhile, I opened a case in the USPS site asking for the insurance, providing a declaration of value, but they denied the clim three times, with no explanation whatsoever, on the web page it only says "Claim denied"

So, at this point, I have a package that was shipped, tracking says "delivered to agent", the addressee never received the item, post office don't know what"delivered to agent" means and they can not provide any signature on delivery. Finally, USPS denied my official claim.

Let me say that I have complete faith in both the person who shipped the book to the dealer and the dealer himself, it looks to me like a total mess from the most office / USPS, but what can I do now?

Sorry about the wall of text

If you really want to chase this thing down to the bitter end I would start by talking to your local postmaster. Tell them you have a complaint and that you think someone is just closing a case to cover up a mistake or theft. Bring up the fact you paid for insured shipping and now the item was never delivered with no valid reason given for the claim to be denied. The postmaster is like the manager,boss, man in charge. I would take your case to him/her.

Edited by Dabrewman

Has anyone ever had a book just completely disappear in the mail? It appears that's what I'm dealing with.

Yup. Several times.

The last one, the USPS mail man faked my signature confirmation by scanning his fingertips. They're not all nice guys unfortunately.

Yup. Several times.

The last one, the USPS mail man faked my signature confirmation by scanning his fingertips. They're not all nice guys unfortunately.

:o :O :o That's terrible. How'd you find out that he did that?

Yup. Several times.

If the book is CGC graded, look for it on Craigslist and ebay.

I had a package with tracking sent to me.

The post office left it on my doorstep where it had been stolen.

I never recovered the raw books but I found the CGC book from the shipment on ebay and discovered that the thieves had sold it to a local comic books store where I was able to get it back from the store owner.

If your package is in the wrong hands, chances are that whoever has them will attempt to sell them.

Yup. Several times.

The USPS site allows you to view the signature digitally. And then, after I opened a case with the Post Office, the carrier fully admitted doing it to both me and his Manager. His story in a nutshell was that he cut corners to save time. He was disciplined (whatever that means, since he's still delivering my mail) and my comics are still gone.

Yup. Several times.

The USPS site allows you to view the signature digitally. And then, after I opened a case with the Post Office, the carrier fully admitted doing it to both me and his Manager. His story in a nutshell was that he cut corners to save time. He was disciplined (whatever that means, since he's still delivering my mail) and my comics are still gone.

Lawsuit if I've ever heard of one....USPS would quickly settle in your favor me thinks.

Yup. Several times.

Lawsuit if I've ever heard of one....USPS would quickly settle in your favor me thinks.

Something similar happened to me. I was having a $1500 comic delivered to my apartment and while I was at work I received an email alert stating that my package had been delivered and that I had signed for it; which is pretty impressive since I was miles away. Luckily the package was in the lobby when I got home.

They seem to be doing this more and more lately. True story: a couple months ago I bought a comic from a guy in Florida. He sent it to me (in Atlanta) via USPS sig. confirmation. On the day of scheduled delivery, no one was home at my house. Midway through that day the seller messages me and says 'I see you got the book, hope you like it." I went online (from my office at work) and put in the tracking number, and it said something like "item delivered...signed for by J. Carri." Of course, I don't know anyone even close to that name. I get home later in the afternoon and sure enough, the package was sitting on my doorstep, in the rain of course.

The following morning, I go to my local P.O. to speak with a supervisor. I showed her the tracking info, and I suggested that we get to the bottom of what happened there, since clearly no one at my residence signed for that package when it was left on my doorstep.

She (the supervisor) said..."Oh, J CARRI must be the mail carrier..her name is Jacki Carrizosa" (or something like that)

I said "So, you mean to say that my mail carrier herself signed for my signature required package and just left it there on my porch?"

She (the supervisor) said "Yes, it looks that way...we've told them that they're not supposed to do that. I'll tell her again." :D

I'm not joking :facepalm:

More recently, I sent a package to a boardie in the Northeast via USPS, and I put sig. confirmation on it (which, online, cost me $2.45).

Same story...the boardie let me know that, although he appreciated the sig. confirmation, his mailman didn't require a signature, but just left it on his doorstep unattended.

I went to USPS.com and submitted an online refund request for the $2.45 for "requested service not provided." A few days after submitting that online refund request, a supervisor from my local P.O. called and left me a message (I guess the central USPS system routed my request back to my local P.O.). Her message was essentially "not sure what the problem is, looks like the package was delivered - you need to call the local post office at the recipient's location if you want to discuss this further." It's hard to make them understand that yes...I paid $8 for USPS to deliver the package, which you did...I appreciate that. I also paid $2.45 for USPS to provide a service (sig. confirmation) that was not provided, so I would like a refund for that component.

Try finding someone in USPS that will acknowledge this, admit it, and take accountability for it. As you can imagine, it's like talking to a brick wall. :D Of course, it's not worth $2.45 to escalate this - and that's what they're counting on. hm

Edited by edowens71

Sometimes it's just the point to persue.

Exactly...that's why I initiated the refund request to start with...the principle of the thing. (thumbs u

Don't let this one slip by. If it were me, I'd start a running tally of the "mistakes" they've made. That way when something big happens, you've got some precedence and can back up your case in small claims court.

It's the same all over the world. I brokered a deal where a $5000 book was to be shipped from France to New England. We chose a 3-day express method with tracking, signature confirmation and insurance. It was a $5K book after all. Price for this was a staggering $175..which we paid.

I was able to track the book until the tracking said "delivered". After I had sent the package the recipient was away from home due to an emergency, so I knew he wouldn't be there to sign for it/accept it. I figured I was safe, book would probably go back to PO with a slip left in the mailbox.

On day #3 I get a "package delivered" message, which was odd as I knew nobody was home.

After a few hours the tracking showed the signature slip.

Instead of a signature there was an "X"

And the name of the person that signed for it was.."Porch" .

Yep, they left the $5000 outside the house on the porch...in the Winter...in New England...for three days.

The recipient was finally able to reach a friend to drive over to his house to pick up the book and take it with him for safekeeping.

Good thing it didn't rain or snow..or anything.