• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIXEN animated series on CW Digital

51 posts in this topic

Um 5 minutes in Episode 1? Is Episode 2 really not out for another week?!

Checking it out now, and you are right. Episode 01 is all of 5 minutes. I didn't remember any of the articles noting this was going to be a series of shorts.

hm

Megalyn Echikunwoke on ‘Vixen’ and a Potential Live-Action Crossover with ‘Flash’ and ‘Arrow’

COLLIDER: How was this presented to you? Was it just to voice this character in animated form, or did you always know there could be the possibility of a live-action performance, as well?

MEGALYN ECHIKUNWOKE: I always knew that was a possibility, and I hope it does evolve into that, but just doing the voice part is so exciting. To me, it’s the same. I just don’t have the costume. Doing the voice for something requires an enormous amount of energy and you really have to use your whole body. It’s cool. I just got super duper lucky because I had always wanted to do something with The CW and I had always wanted to do animation. This just fell in my lap and was a perfect marriage of those two things.

COLLIDER: With as popular as comic book and superhero movies and TV shows are now, who, in your own life, is the most excited that you’re getting to bring this character to life?

ECHIKUNWOKE: Probably my brother. My one brother is very big into comics and sci-fi and anime, and he was so impressed by this. He was like, “So, you’re telling me that you’re going to be a superhero?!” So, I definitely got major points with my brother.

A Beginner's Guide to Vixen

Canceled Comics Cavalcade

If you want to track down Vixen’s “first” appearance, you may have to shell out more than a few dollars. In the late 1970s, DC commissioned Gerry Conway and Bob Oskner to create Vixen, whom the company wanted as their first black superheroine with an ongoing series. Unfortunately, DC scrapped the planned Vixen solo title as part of a massive scaling back of their superhero books due to poor sales. But by then, Conway and Oskner had already turned in an entire issue of work. To protect their copyrights, DC collected the unpublished work in Canceled Comics Cavalcade, a two issue comic series. DC only printed enough copies of Canceled Comics Cavalcade to pass out to creators, select staffers and the US Copyright Office. The comic became a rare collector’s item, with individual issues selling for as high as $3,500.

:o

Suicide Squad

Vixen next appeared in John Ostrander’s popular Suicide Squad series. Vixen gets entangled with the government-led team of villains after a drug lord killed several of her friends. Vixen joined the Suicide Squad to take the drug lord down, but her savage side emerged once again when she murdered the drug lord who killed her friends. Faced with more blood on her hands, Vixen realized her animalistic personality was taking over, and joined the Suicide Squad permanently to help regain control of her powers. Vixen's time in the Suicide Squad only hardened the heroine, as she saw several more of her teammates die in action. But, she did meet her first (and only) real love interest, the conflicted antihero Bronze Tiger.

I had no idea.

I just checked- there was a Vixen in the last issues of JLA- she's starring on the cover of #234. Is that a totally different person?

Vixen's early appearances:

Action Comics #521 (1981) - considered her full 1st appearance.

DC Comics Presents #68 (April 1984)

Justice League of America Annual #2 (October, 1984)

Justice League of America #234-235 (January-February, 1985)

Justice League of America #239 (June, 1985)

Justice League of America #242 (September, 1985)

Justice League of America #261 (April, 1987)

JLA_v.1_261.jpg

"We choose to live like this! We choose this bloody path! There are a million ways to help people, to make the world a better place... ways that don't have anything to do with fists and guns and corpses!" - Vixen

Animal Man #10-12 (April–June 1989)

Suicide Squad #11-12 (March–April 1988)

These 5 minute vignettes are not appealing to me.

I think the Young Justice, Batman the Animated series, Batman Beyond, ad JLA are a tough act to follow. And these are too short to even get into. Like following up a 7 course meal with horsed ovaries.

-Terry

Vixen Season Coming To An End – Possible Season Two

Five episodes down with one to go and it looks like we’ll be seeing Vixen in her costume soon. The penultimate episode gave us the answers to who Mari McCabe (Megalyn Echikunwoke) is and exactly how she can tap into animal powers with the totem. We also see that her spin on the wheel of siblings didn’t go so well.

The trailer for the final episode for season one… yes, they say season one meaning the odds are there will be a season two… we see that Arrow (Stephen Amell) and Flash (Grant Gustin) return and Mari gets her costume and her officially Cisco Ramon sanctioned codename.

Live-Action Vixen Confirmed For Arrow

The titular hero of CW Seed’s animated series Vixen is coming to The CW’s live-action superhero drama, Arrow.

Megalyn Echikunwoke, the actress who voiced Vixen in her animated debut, will bring the character to life in live action form when Arrow returns from its midseason break.

"We’re not only thrilled to be further expanding our DC television universe by bringing in the live-action incarnation of the CW Seed hit, Vixen, we’re immensely excited that Megalyn will be revisiting her role as Mari McCabe,” Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim tells TV Insider.

The titular hero of CW Seed’s animated series Vixen is coming to The CW’s live-action superhero drama, Arrow.

Megalyn Echikunwoke, the actress who voiced Vixen in her animated debut, will bring the character to life in live action form when Arrow returns from its midseason break.

"We’re not only thrilled to be further expanding our DC television universe by bringing in the live-action incarnation of the CW Seed hit, Vixen, we’re immensely excited that Megalyn will be revisiting her role as Mari McCabe,” Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim tells TV Insider.

Monies!!!!

Ok now that's cool...

Vixen Animated Series Renewed For a Second Season on CW Seed

With her live-action counterpart headed to Arrow soon, the Vixen animated short series has been renewed for a second season on CW Seed.

The series stars Megalyn Echikunwoke, who will also play the live-action Vixen on Arrow. The news of the series' renewal comes out of the Television Critics Association presentation by CW chief Mark Pedowitz.

CW Seed is the online, interactive component of the CW Network.