• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Grayson" looks to be a hit so a bump for Tec 38?

260 posts in this topic

Almost $8K for the 1.5 restored last night on CC. IMO the cover did not have good eye appeal at all either.

In any condition a TEC 38 cover lacks eye appeal, from the colors to the composition to the line work and theme it is a mess - just my two cents.

Edited by Johnny545

Almost $8K for the 1.5 restored last night on CC. IMO the cover did not have good eye appeal at all either.

Based on that result it makes me think mine is now a $10k book.

Seeing as how the tec 44 8.5 sold for 19k, I'm guessing my 8.0 is an easy 16k book. :/

I was not a fan of the glued cover from another book as well. That being said this sale at almost 8k and a .5 restored last month (trimmed, wrong back cover) went for over 5k. Fun book to watch get it's due finally. waiting for the day it overtakes some of these other pre robin tec covers.

it is funny how this goes...I offered a pretty nice looking 4.5 restored copy here on the boards last month for $8995....some interest, but no takers...I closed the thread ...

after recent results, I now have folks wanting to buy at that 'former" price , which was clearly outdated and recently adjusted to more accurately reflect th current market... lol

Even Metropolis has added Tec 38 to their "most wanted" list in blue label.....I don't remember that being a regular entry in their newsletter...curious as to what the coverless (incomplete) copy goes for in their August event auction....any guesses?

Edited by Chicago Boy

I have been watching this copy all week on eBay. Raw, complete but spine split.

$5,000 opening bid with no activity all week.

2 bids in the final seconds brought it up to $6,356

robin.jpg

www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-38-1st-ROBIN-COMPLETE-1940-D-C-Bob-Kane-Cover-id-15132-/361386013113

Edited by StingerMcK

I followed the auction as well. Did you bid ?

Nope, thought about it, but couldn't pull the trigger. Waiting (hopefully) for the book to cool off. I feel like that mess copy that sold for $5K awhile back (.5 restored, wrong back cover) has everything jacked up for now.

What I find interesting is that we have not seen a lot of them come up for auction. With the price increase of the last year I would have thought more would come up for sale. Either there aren't many available or people are counting on the value continuing to rise. Personally, I'm hoping for a Tec 31 type of growth.