• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

All those overpriced "keys" with a villian appearing in the next movie are , because the villian isn´t really a well know character and he´s a gets killed on the movie . I remember people paying a lot of money for Sgt Fury 5 lol or avengers 55

if you like villians get well know villians

Magneto, Loki , Dr Doom etc

The 1st appearance of Magneto is definitely a book to get................as it features the 1st appearance of the X-Men as well. (thumbs u

My point was that if you are chasing movie related 1st apps of villains or lesser characters the time to buy is well before the movie hype starts in earnest. The time to chase them is when a film is rumored/announced by the big two, not after it has been cast or is in production. Buy early and at low prices, flip at the peak, and even if you are stuck with a copy or two you will still be able to move them at a higher price than you accumulated them at.

Agree, those are short time investments and you have to move them on time before its too late.

i'm curious why this is healthier? are the "collectors" who rushed out to buy Avengers #55 in any grade at any price in 2013 when Ultron was announced better off now that prices have come down by 2/3's? this will not be an isolated occurrence. these so-called " first appearance keys" will continue to implode when the movies either a)dispense w/ the characters b)suck c)fade into oblivion.

Agreed. We've talked about young people/women/new collectors/etc with deep pockets driving prices up. If you didn't get stuck holding the bag when prices fell, someone else did. No one likes being on the bad end of a deal, and whoever was paying $200 for VG copies of Sgt Fury 5 won't be putting much more of his money into what appears to be a losing prospect. We can't afford to be so short sighted.

All those overpriced "keys" with a villian appearing in the next movie are , because the villian isn´t really a well know character and he´s a gets killed on the movie . I remember people paying a lot of money for Sgt Fury 5 lol or avengers 55

The 1st appearance of Magneto is definitely a book to get................as it features the 1st appearance of the X-Men as well. (thumbs u

My point was that if you are chasing movie related 1st apps of villains or lesser characters the time to buy is well before the movie hype starts in earnest. The time to chase them is when a film is rumored/announced by the big two, not after it has been cast or is in production. Buy early and at low prices, flip at the peak, and even if you are stuck with a copy or two you will still be able to move them at a higher price than you accumulated them at.

The real time to buy them is to already have them. :grin:

The real time to buy them is to already have them. :grin:

True, but you can accumulate most movie or TV related key at decent prices until the casting is announced or in some cases when production has started. While there is an initial 1 week spike after the initial announcement, most books pull back fairly quickly after that.

Don’t be silly. They might be less popular, but they are important characters. Very important.

It seems to me not only you are ignorant about the Marvel age, but you seem to be proud of it… hm

Mijael, first, I thank you for stirring the pot on the SA forum. It's been a bit dull here lately.

Second, I generally agree with you, but sometimes one can't be so sure that the first appearances of lesser known bad guys won't explode and hold value. Villains like Dr. Doom and Green Goblin stand the test of time and, as such, FF5 and ASM 14 are very collectible books that generally hold value and steadily grow. I don't think JIM 85, however, would have become such a collectible and valuable book if Tom Hiddleston hadn't absolutely hit it out of the park with his rendition of Loki and turned Loki into a globally-adored superstar bad guy.

Don’t be silly. They might be less popular, but they are important characters. Very important.

It seems to me not only you are ignorant about the Marvel age, but you seem to be proud of it… hm

+1 It's unfortunate the treatment that Strucker and Ultron got in the films, but come on, they are two major villains.

+1 It's unfortunate the treatment that Strucker and Ultron got in the films, but come on, they are two major villains.

Strucker a major villain? hm I do agree that Ultron didn't get the true bad-spoon treatment he deserved in the movie. And that could have made Av 55 a long-term hot book instead of a flash in the pan.

there is no reason to think ultron is dead as in never to come back. James spader was so good I can see them bringing him back in avengers 8 or something. He is in the cartoons as well. Remember he just needs to be hiding in the interweb sonewhere, he need not die.

With the current market prices on the Silver Age books, I'd say it's almost all heating up

Really? I'm seeing lower prices on most mid-lower grade books. What are you seeing heating up since the spring?

The keys/1st apps/hot covers are up, most commons are flat or down. Just like most other years, I guess.

The thing is the "key" pool is ever expanding...

Which is great for long time collectors with long boxes full of the drek, but not for short term "key" chasers that get sucked in......

If they went for less key stuff they would be picking up lots of affordable books.

Mijael, first, I thank you for stirring the pot on the SA forum. It's been a bit dull here lately.

Second, I generally agree with you, but sometimes one can't be so sure that the first appearances of lesser known bad guys won't explode and hold value. Villains like Dr. Doom and Green Goblin stand the test of time and, as such, FF5 and ASM 14 are very collectible books that generally hold value and steadily grow. I don't think JIM 85, however, would have become such a collectible and valuable book if Tom Hiddleston hadn't absolutely hit it out of the park with his rendition of Loki and turned Loki into a globally-adored superstar bad guy.

The movie helped him of course but its general culture that Loki is Thor´s enemy, i didn´t read comics on my childhood but i remember him from the cartoons.

I agree that movies can help for example the way they presented Winter Soldier wich was unknow to me was impressive and makes me want to buy his 1st app

Let´s see what happens with Zemo , he will be played by a great actor , people are paying now $60 - $65 for the Avengers 6 VG´s

Let´s see what happens with Zemo , he will be played by a great actor , people are paying now $60 - $65 for the Avengers 6 VG´s

--------------

which seems cheap to me regardless of movie hype

I noticed that JLA #64 (1st SA app. Red Tornado) seems to be heating up a bit due to the Supergirl casting. I'm not much for playing the movie speculation game, but have always liked Red Tornado so did find a nice copy recently. It will be interesting to see if this gets pushed higher with the speculation craze or not. Either way, I'm glad to have a copy.

Supergirl Casts Iddo Goldberg as Dr. T.O. Morrow, the Red Tornado

redtornado-149649.jpg