• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,062 posts in this topic

Hi Gold Guys! I rarely venture into this area of comics because of my lack of knowledge in the area. I decorated my infant's room in Bugs Bunny and would like to add a few framed comics of first appearances of well known characters. So far all I have is the first appearance of the original Hunny Bunny and an issue of Bugs in a western outfit.

Any suggestions on some key issues / first appearances? Google has not helped me that well. Thanks in advance!

Most of the 1st appearances are in Looney Tunes/ Merry Melodies #1, which is probably not an optimal choice for the wall of a child's room.

Bugs Bunny Vacation Funnies 8 has the 1st appearance of the Road Runner in comics, but he's not on the cover.

BBV8_zpsce31d2d4.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

Hi, glad you ventured here in the gold forum, please drop in often.

Well as OtherEric said, most of the first major comic book appearances of the Looney Tunes characters was in Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies #1 waaay back in the 40's. But, there are other keys of these iconic characters to be found and coveted.

Glad you started this thread, i feel it is LONG overdue for characters who are still marketed today after over 75 years in existence. Bugs is due in a new series on Boomerang this year 2015 titled 'Wabbit'.

I will bump this thread from time to time, and take a que from the OP of the Disney Duck thread and encourage other posters to post Looney Tunes stuff from all areas though the focus will mainly be gold comics. I know some of the 70's Whitman stuff is scarce (not a comic focus of mine, but i'd love to see em').

Okay, other 'KEYS', how about this one: Large Feature Comic #8. This is the first comic book devoted to Bugs Bunny, so essentially it's Bugs Bunny #1. Historic comic book. Four Color #33 (Bugs' first solo in the Four Color run is mistakenly sometimes listed in auctions as his #1, but this book predates that). Four Color #33, though not 'common' certainly surfaces more that this book. :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Large%20Feature%20Comic%208_zpsgzmaymwn.jpg

Another key, Four Color #457 first comic book headlined by who i refer to in these parts as 'The OTHER Duck' lol Daffy Duck (Daffy Duck #1). Daffy is one of the most recognized cartoon characters of all time. My copy is the highest graded copy to date (i'm always mentioning that when i post it, but i'm a proud Papa).

FC457_zpslmjktqz1.jpg

This is the first comic devoted to arguably one of the three all time greatest 'chase' duos in cartoon history. Four Color #406 (Tweety & Sylvester #1). "I taught i saw a puddy tat" A phrase known for generations. They are rivaled only by Tom and Jerry (my next favorite cartoon dynasty after Looney Tunes) and this next duo..... Four%20Color%20406%20File%20Copy_zpsiq9finb8.jpg

Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote. This is Four Color #918 (#1 in the duo's series). Acme, cliffs, anvils, "Beep beep!" , everyone knows all the trappings. This is a tough book to find in high grade. Mine is about a 5.5/6.0 (until i upgrade one day)but i love it even if i don't.

There are more keys in this legendary characters series of books, but more another day, as i said i want to bump this thread from time to time, even if i'm the only participant lol . It's a labor of love.

But i don't feel i will be.... Hope this helped CHAokie. PM me sir with any further request for aid in this area. Happy hunting (Wabbit)..

Four%20Color%20918_zpslofuexyh.jpg

Wow, that was very detailed and much appreciated. That is the exact type of information I was looking for. I have loved Bugs Bunny my entire life, but just never thought about him in comic book form. I have all of my childhood Bugs stuff from the late 70's so it will go along nicely with these.

Thanks again for the info! I owe you one.

It's also pretty difficult to find info on the minor characters.

I believe this is Pepe Le Pew's first appearance but can't confirm or deny. Earliest I could find on comics.org

scan0068.jpg

And here's Four Color #402; Mary Jane actually never appeared in the cartoons but it's her team-up with Sniffles in the comics that Sniffles is probably best remembered for, with his cartoons being a bit of an afterthought.

MJS_402_zps0f0af4ea.jpg

That's the best copy I've found in years of looking, though. I let a VG go when it went over 50 on the bay; and at this point I'm kicking myself since I haven't seen one in any shape in forever. But 4x guide for a low grade copy seemed high back then.

It's also pretty difficult to find info on the minor characters.

I believe this is Pepe Le Pew's first appearance but can't confirm or deny. Earliest I could find on comics.org

scan0068.jpg

It very well could be, I don't remember seeing Pepe in the Bugs Giants or the Looney Tunes title itself off the top of my head. But then again, on an awful lot of those books the only story I've read is the Mary Jane & Sniffles, with the rest of the book getting a quick flip-through at best. But comics.org is rather spotty on indexing of the Warner Bros. books still, last I checked.

I don't know any of the following but would like to know the comic first appearances.

Marvin Martian

Michigan P Frog (may be a copper/modern)

Granny

foghorn leghorn

I think Tasmanian Devil has a well known 1st. A nice 1 shot too that was recently for sale on ebay.

Gossamer

Speedy Gonzales

:whee::whee::whee:

And we're off!! Great books Gents!

Yes, I do believe the Daffy Duck posted IS the first Pepe comic appearance, and what a sharp copy.

The FC 187 has always been a cool cover with the Dragon, that it's Yosimitie's 1st comic appearance is icing on the cake. Also a great looking copy.

Not sure myself on a lot of the other characters debut, but Speedy is FC 1080, I believe. A one shot?

Also, the Sniffles...... :cloud9:

I can play in this thread. :D

LT20.jpg

At least I thought I could... stupid photo bucket on iPad. I'll post a few when I get home to Australia next weekend.

:hi: Corey - loving the way this thread is heading.

If anyone can fix the code and display my pic, go for it.

Thanks again everyone. I wasnt for sure the response I would get but it has been great. I find it interesting that its not as clearcut as with superheroes.

Thanks again everyone. I wasnt for sure the response I would get but it has been great. I find it interesting that its not as clearcut as with superheroes.
Well, there are some superhero examples too that can be a little 'confusing': Wonder Woman's 1st app, 1st cover, and 1st issue of own title are all different. Archie falls into this boat too. Also Captain(Shazam)Marvel and the Sub-Mariner (I believe) have what are called 1st 'news stand appearances).

Anyway, again, no problem helping out fellow Bugs & Looney Tunes boardie

Now let's see some of your stuff, even if it's mainly Bronze :baiting: it's old now too lol

Edited by Sagii