• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USA COMICS #7 -- Which One Do You Choose?

78 posts in this topic

USA often get brittle notation due to the weaker paper used at production time. It can be merely split wraps that get the brittle notation and can really be a pretty nice book overall

So I would need to know is the paper flaking brittle or just wrap split brittle. Really a huge difference

So far . . .

1.8 --- 3 votes

1.5 --- 2 votes

1 abstain

Assuming that the 1.5 is most likely not to be cracked, the fine print brittle page designation and a presentable cover is much more acceptable to me than a huge chunk of the front cover being removed and a cursive name written on the 'S'.

Edited by tabcom

Tough call all around, but I see Gator's point. Then again, the uncertain brittleness isn't really the issue either.

It comes down to what you intend to do with the book. If you're going to keep it slabbed, what difference does the brittleness verses OW/White designation? The best choice in that instance is the complete cover. If you're going to crack it out as a reading copy, the the obvious choice would be the one with better known PQ.

Finally, if price makes a difference wait for a restored copy to come available, then you can either keep it slabbed for appearance or crack it out while having the best of both worlds (reading copy and nicer appearance). My 2c ...after 40 winks.

Seeing as how CGCs PQ designation is virtually laughable in many many scenarios I would take the 1.5...I can see some flakes next to the spine but it's going to have to take a LOT more flaking until it reaches the size chunk that's already missing on the 1.8 haha!! This is a cover driven book no doubt.

I'm still depressed I missed out on the USA 5 the other day that sold for under a grand so I don't want to talk about USA books anymore. The splash page on that would have to be supple if I were to finally land one it is one of the best ever!!

resume debate while I go cry in the corner over my missed opportunity!! :cry:

There really isn't a need to crack when the masterworks is available.

mm_gausa02_172_1b.jpg

True enough for reading, but I wish the folks behind the Masterworks would be more faithful to the original art. The colors are often garish and details in the original inking are lost or suffer from blurry reproduction. DC used to do much better with their Archives until the budgets were cut. My 2c

I had a mf56 that had cgc brittle page designation (ciorac will recall). We cracked and taped the splits back and resubbed....ow (which was more indicative of the pq).

That said I have a USA that the pages are supple enough (cr/ow in color) but it does have dry and 1" split wraps so cgc designated brittle, even though it's not "flakey" page brittle. Book is quite nice actually, and one I would buy again given what I know about it

My vote would depend on whether the 1.8 is as cleaner and brighter as it appears or whether that's just an artifact of the scanning.

If it the 1.8 is that much nicer presenting -- even taking into account that teeny, weeny chip :D -- then I would definitely take it.

My vote would depend on whether the 1.8 is as cleaner and brighter as it appears or whether that's just an artifact of the scanning.

If it the 1.8 is that much nicer presenting -- even taking into account that teeny, weeny chip :D -- then I would definitely take it.

The 1.8 is provided by heritage tech vs. the 1.5 amateur photo.