• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

Skynet, I seem to recall you saying that your Star Wars 1 had handwriting. I got my copy from a flea market last October with handwriting on the back cover. I did see a Blodie and a Beetle Bailey but after finding gold, I left behind the consolation prizes. By any chance...

2eeybtz.jpg

ah no that's not my handwriting :grin:

Just wanted let you guys know I am listing that Kid Colt 205 on ebay . i posted pictures of it here last week. If anyone is interested. Take care.

www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-KID-COLT-205-NO-PRICE-VARIANT-NOT-25-30-Cent-National-Bookstore-/271408975592?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f313c4ee8&forcev4exp=true

$27.51! Nice!! :applause:

Was that you, Matt? ;)

Skynet, I seem to recall you saying that your Star Wars 1 had handwriting. I got my copy from a flea market last October with handwriting on the back cover. I did see a Blodie and a Beetle Bailey but after finding gold, I left behind the consolation prizes. By any chance...

2eeybtz.jpg

ah no that's not my handwriting :grin:

It would've been too much of a coincidence. :grin: That only happens in movies...and comics.

Not Filipino...from Singapore :o

hongkongphooey001.jpeg

Didn't you notice that there's a new "official foreign bronze thread?"

Seeing non-superhero comics do make these threads more interesting.

Now, the most interesting of the Goodwill books I have! :o

The bats 229! Could my bats grail 227 exist? I think its very possible.... :wishluck: Now notice Goodwill put a number that actual insinuates a continuity? A issue number? A issue number in the order these bats were printed by Goodwill? We dont know but its a number that isn't 229.

bats.jpg

American cover for reference....

2691.jpg

Now up until this point we have only seen JMC/goodwill ads on these books.... nothing else... But not this time. A ad called the "Gallery of coming attractions" gives us some clues.....

photo-3.jpg

First clue is that the Bats 229 is included in this ad and it is assigned a number....

photo-4.jpg

This matches up nicely with the number on the front...

photo-5.jpg

This tells us this number is a sort of issue number and could quite possibly be assigned according to the order these books were printed? Look at all the other DC books on the back....

photo-6.jpg

Could a TEC 400 be around? I think so.... the all classic Supes 233 is there, and a Supergirl #1 would be darn cool! Could a HOS 92 exist in a Goodwill version? Could a Bats 227 pop up? A 232, 234, or classic cover like a 244?

I do think the more key you get the more chance that if these books were here in America they would pop up on EBay or database sites similar to LSComics 237. We would have seen them hopefully by now....... :sorry: I dont think they are here. These Key DC Goodwill books are still in the Phillapines.... hiding in a closet somewhere in a FIlipino collectors little brothers stuff..... not known that it could possibly be the only copy in existence!!!!!! :o

What if a Iron Man 55 exists? The breadth of the Marvel and DC stuff all the bookstores printed means almost any Bronze age key is at least possible. hm

Thank you for going on this journey with me guys.... and pay attention! Next time you are going through a old long box of mid grade keys from the bronze age... or going through some dealers stock.... these books could be hiding in plain site! Find um.... Not taking anything away from the 35 cent variants or many of the other rarer bronze variants of course..... :gossip: But, in my opinion the Fillipino bookstore books are the ultimate Bronze age treasure hunt.... (thumbs u

the thing that pops out to me looking at the ad and the numbering is that they are using the last two digits as a year reference and the numbers before that to indicate the issue of their reprint series. so you should have a 171 through 1071 as seen in the ad somewhat.

I think they kept using those sequential numbers moving forward based on other issues I saw with similar markings but replaced the 71 with a 72 --- as you will see a 4672 and so on.

I just found the thread through the other thread and was instantly fascinated by it. I had to read the whole thing though before offering this response since it happened several pages (and years) before and I wanted to be sure no one else had already made that connection of the numbering.

My grandpa is Filipino... in the 50's he would pick up comic books for my dad... My dads faves where Tarzan... Plastic Man to name a few... My uncle was also a decent artist because he would practice drawing characters so it was going on from the 60s-70s.... Also keep in mind... There was a US base in the Philippines also English is taught in the classroom so the early US influence is very apparent... but also you have to consider the climate... it rains year round and floods as well.... I doubt there's a 9.8 IH181 lying around anywhere... and you would have to be really lucky to even find the examples i've seen so far... I'm sure the first thing after a monsoon after your small village has been washed through or your neighborhood flooded people look for their Xmen books...

Edited by Snikt!1988

Why not revive a once thought dead thread? Especially considering its about some of the rarest Bronze age comics I can think of? :applause:

Recent acquisition.... National Bookstore!!!!

WeirdWestern12_NationalBookstore_Phillapines.jpg

WeirdWestern12_NationalBookstore_PhillapinesBack.jpg

In amazing condition for a bookstore book.... so happy to find this one.... :luhv:

Edited by Define999

the thing that pops out to me looking at the ad and the numbering is that they are using the last two digits as a year reference and the numbers before that to indicate the issue of their reprint series. so you should have a 171 through 1071 as seen in the ad somewhat.

I think they kept using those sequential numbers moving forward based on other issues I saw with similar markings but replaced the 71 with a 72 --- as you will see a 4672 and so on.

I just found the thread through the other thread and was instantly fascinated by it. I had to read the whole thing though before offering this response since it happened several pages (and years) before and I wanted to be sure no one else had already made that connection of the numbering.

uuummmmm interesting.... makes sense. hm

Ugh. I'm sure my dad had a lot of those kinds of books from the 50's back then. Sadly his mom threw em away :(

Well that stinks.... The Tagalog Komics with a K are actually quite beloved on the islands. Its the bookstore editions that harbor a sort of lack of respect all the way to ill-will. I have met some Filipinos who love their local output of American stuff but many see no use for them if they can acquire the American original... hence the rarity. :gossip:

Ugh. I'm sure my dad had a lot of those kinds of books from the 50's back then. Sadly his mom threw em away :(

Well that stinks.... The Tagalog Komics with a K are actually quite beloved on the islands. Its the bookstore editions that harbor a sort of lack of respect all the way to ill-will. I have met some Filipinos who love their local output of American stuff but many see no use for them if they can acquire the American original... hence the rarity. :gossip:

I'm unsure if my dad had US versions or the Filipino variants. He said he had titles such as Superman, Plastic Man, Blackhawk, etc. Dunno if they have Phillippine versions of those.

I'm unsure if my dad had US versions or the Filipino variants. He said he had titles such as Superman, Plastic Man, Blackhawk, etc. Dunno if they have Phillippine versions of those.

Sorta.. if it is the late 50 into the 60's I think the books your dad would have run into would be the South East Asia editions. It appears they were meant for all of Oceania and even Thailand and Vietnam, but were printed in the Philippines. Earlier in the thread there is some more great info about these....

311454.jpg

309481.jpg

Edited by Define999

Sorta.. if it is the late 50 into the 60's I think the books your dad would have run into would be the South East Asia editions. It appears they were meant for all of Oceania and even Thailand and Vietnam, but were printed in the Philippines. Earlier in the thread there is some more great info about these....

311454.jpg

309481.jpg

Cool man thanks for all the info. and history lesson (thumbs u .. well my dad was born in 1941 during the war so I would think anywhere between early to late 50's is the era of books he had back then. I guess I'll never truly know which edition it would be.

Haven't visited this forum in a while.

Not sure how many Goodwills I have (very few to be sure) but I get the impression that the last 2 digits, in this case 72, either represents the original publication year or the year they were reprinted in the Philippines. The numbers before those---they're quite a mystery to me. If I had more Goodwills, I probably can see a pattern.

I didn't bother rereading everything. I was assuming someone already made the connection.

Edited by archer

I beg to disagree. About 3 months ago i literally asked for 4 free komiks from the '80s (2 k's; see my sig line) from some people who found them in the garbage. A few days later found a few more from their ilk, but this time paid about $0.50 for the 4 copies (all 8 came from the same batch).

Even komiks from the '90s are hard to find by now. Funny thing is, I largely ignored them when they were widely available. When the publishers went belly up, that was the only time I pursued them.

Both comics and komiks got little, if any, respect because they are considered by most people to be disposable entertainment.

Edited by archer

Someone posted this yesterday on one of the Facebook groups I'm a member of.

I asked a few questions like which bookstore published this and if these came out the same time as Nationals. I was told that this was by Alemar's and these reprints were published later than Nationals.

With those answers, I've learned A LOT of things. Someone please react as I feel as if I'm talking to myself.

micronauts-1_zpsyjwxf4qb.jpg

Edited by archer