• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,113 posts in this topic

I have some nagging curiosity about the spicy pulps (I guess that makes me an old soul :insane: ) but very few are ever posted here. They don't seem ultra rare, at least as a genre. I am wondering if there are just none in the boardie collections, or is it just shame or is there an unspoken rule or feeling of impropriety involved? Just curious.

I always assumed that the spicys were the most in-demand and hard to find of pulps.

The spicies are quite tough, especially in high grade. I think that the combination of distribution problems (especially in the Bible belt), their risqué contents (ie you would hide or tug the mag somewhere so no one can see it), plus their trashy-so-not-to-be-collected status explains that.

I am still looking for my high grade REHs, in case anyone has them. The only one I have is that one:

Spicy-Adventure%20Stories%20-%201936-09.jpg

I just listed a mid/mid-high grade REH Spicy on ebay at auction among a lot of other items.

eBay item number: 271947308052 if you are interested. Ends next Friday.

"Justin Case" on the cover story is Hugh Cave, btw. Here's my copy, so won't have to worry about competition from me. ;)

Some nice Gnomes too, Matthew.

spicyadventure.jpg

The spicies are quite tough, especially in high grade. I think that the combination of distribution problems (especially in the Bible belt), their risqué contents (ie you would hide or tug the mag somewhere so no one can see it), plus their trashy-so-not-to-be-collected status explains that.

I am still looking for my high grade REHs, in case anyone has them. The only one I have is that one:

I totally love this cover!!!

Wow, what a great one to have! Never seen it before. Too bad there is not a Gerber Guide to pulps. I think it would turn that market on it's ear. Pulps are way cheaper than comics in general but way harder to find. I just never see these in the "wild" anymore.

Some of you might have already seen this packed drugstore newsstand picture in Cook Minnesota from 1937.

cook%20mn%208-37_zpsjwl1kglo.jpg

Isn't variety is the "spice" of life? I guess spicy things were pretty popular.

On this 1937 rack, you got your Spicy Mystery, Spicy Adventure, Spicy Detective and Spicy Western.

For something a little more mild, you have Saucy Detective. Paris Nights and Gay Broadway look interesting.

pulps37_zpsbr0aiqie.jpg

The girly pulps on this San Francisco rack from the same time in 1937 are more racy.

I'm surprised they didn't have Lusty Stories but there was a Sex Stories title.

girlie%20mag%20sf%201937_zps9aurpjmo.jpg

For something cooler, this sailor is reading Breezy in 1938.

breezy%20v49-4%201938_zpscr9vnllz.jpg

Some of you might have already seen this packed drugstore newsstand picture in Cook Minnesota from 1937.

Awesome shot! I've got one, far right side, 5th row down:

Op5_35_zpsb8f07031.jpg

I wonder how many of the books there we could pull together...

Note that some titles repeat, I see 2 different issues of the Shadow (which makes some sense since it was 2x a month.)

I love Spicys. I really only collect them for the cover art and most every one is a gem!

spicypulps1_zpsbdba75b8.jpg

spicypulps2_zpsca84691b.jpg

Great bunch of pulps, but some are worth reading, Bob. One of the snappiest pulp writers, Robert Leslie Bellem, is a featured story writer in that last Spicy Adventure Stories. It might be worth poking around under the covers once in awhile. Wait a minute, ...let me rephrase that! :blush:

Isn't variety is the "spice" of life? I guess spicy things were pretty popular.

On this 1937 rack, you got your Spicy Mystery, Spicy Adventure, Spicy Detective and Spicy Western.

For something a little more mild, you have Saucy Detective. Paris Nights and Gay Broadway look interesting.

pulps37_zpsbr0aiqie.jpg

The girly pulps on this San Francisco rack from the same time in 1937 are more racy.

I'm surprised they didn't have Lusty Stories but there was a Sex Stories title.

girlie%20mag%20sf%201937_zps9aurpjmo.jpg

For something cooler, this sailor is reading Breezy in 1938.

breezy%20v49-4%201938_zpscr9vnllz.jpg

Great photos! Here is one I own that belongs here as well.

pulpnewstand_zpsgtdurkbk.jpg