• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Im willing to give it a chance. The other ones were so bad a new direction might help.

What I find funny is how Fox keeps Flashing Marvel at the beginning in huge letters.

They're trying to fool people into thinking it's a genuine MCU film.

Every Marvel-based movie since Spider-Man (2002) has had the animated flip book comic logo.

I don't think any of the three released FF films has been good.

Sure -- let's take away Roger Corman's debacle, but I didn't particularly like FF 1 & I _hated_ FF 2 -- thought the only good parts were some scenes with Chris Evans & the first intro / chase with the Silver Surfer.

Given that, and my profound belief that FF just won't translate well to film no matter who produces it, I'm ready to give this totally new take a shot.

After the last two, I think they've got nowhere to go but up.

Predict opening weekend of $48-$50 million.

I expect lower. You are far too generous.

:)

I don't think any of the three released FF films has been good.

Sure -- let's take away Roger Corman's debacle, but I didn't particularly like FF 1 & I _hated_ FF 2 -- thought the only good parts were some scenes with Chris Evans & the first intro / chase with the Silver Surfer.

Given that, and my profound belief that FF just won't translate well to film no matter who produces it, I'm ready to give this totally new take a shot.

After the last two, I think they've got nowhere to go but up.

Predict opening weekend of $48-$50 million.

I expect lower. You are far too generous.

:)

I could see it, if MI5 numbers drop 65+% for it's second week (it will find it's legs on it's third week if it's good as the critics say it is). But, it FF does those numbers expect them to crash in a similiar manner for the following week if it's panned and continue it's descent downward.

I wonder if folks would hate on it less if it were actually called "Ultimate Fantastic Four?"

It would be great if they called it something completely different, so people who know nothing about them won't associate this with the real Lee/Kirby FF.

Something like "Justice League of America".

Challengers of the Unknown?

This will be the very first Marvel character movie that I will wait until the reviews come out until I see it.

If the reviews are bad I'm NOT going to spend money to see this movie in the theatre (I may still rent it in a Red Box later).

If this movie is not good I REALLY want it to crash and burn. Let's get the rights back over to Marvel.

Edited by gadzukes

36-39M is my prediction. This thing is going to be DOA, regardless of quality.

But I'm guessing it'll still be underwhelming.

I'm in the crowd that wonders how an FF movie would actually work, which is weird because it always seemed so "cinematic" to me. Maybe a 1960's period picture.....I just don't know. The two movies from 10-12 years ago were somewhat honest to their roots (although Doom sucked and casting in general was a problem), and we see how they turned out. I'm guessing this is a better movie that is further removed from the source material.

But it looks uninspiring, nonetheless.

Edited by makeminemego

I wonder if folks would hate on it less if it were actually called "Ultimate Fantastic Four?"

I don't think ' hate ' is the right word, highly disappointed is more appropriate. It's a shame that Marvel characters are at the mercy of a corporation that doesn't appreciate their 50+ year history.

Yes, but I don't seen Disney/Marvel selling them off to Warner Brothers anytime soon.

:grin:

FANTASTIC FOUR Cast Handles 'Awkward' Interview Like Superheroes

Bailey later discussed the conversation in greater detail with BuzzFeed, saying he was "curious about the whole brother and sister thing" and simply wanted to know if "this hipster version" of the series would have an explanation.

As for Rickman's line of questioning, Bailey said he had "no idea" and offered a suggestion.

"Steve likes girls' toes," Bailey told the outlet. "People should be appreciative when they get complimented."

So the creepy interview was really Kate Mara's fault. She should have been much more appreciative of the toes focus from the interviewer.

:insane:

I read recently that the studio's projecting ~$44 million for the first weekend, down from $50 million projected ~six weeks ago.

Both of the previous FF films did an inflation-adjusted $69 million their first weekends, respectively.

Is there any chance that if this movie tanks that Fox would be willing to hand this franchise back over to Marvel?

I know that I want to see the movie, but I also know that I will not pay $10-$15 to see it in theatres, and will most likely wait until it is streaming (months later) and will be willing to do Amazon $4.99 streaming. I think it will depend on reviews. As someone else mentioned, I might even wait until it's at Red Box.

-Terry

FANTASTIC FOUR Cast Handles 'Awkward' Interview Like Superheroes

Bailey later discussed the conversation in greater detail with BuzzFeed, saying he was "curious about the whole brother and sister thing" and simply wanted to know if "this hipster version" of the series would have an explanation.

As for Rickman's line of questioning, Bailey said he had "no idea" and offered a suggestion.

"Steve likes girls' toes," Bailey told the outlet. "People should be appreciative when they get complimented."

So the creepy interview was really Kate Mara's fault. She should have been much more appreciative of the toes focus from the interviewer.

:insane:

I'm a nice guy, but those two are first rate jackazzes. :sumo:

Is there any chance that if this movie tanks that Fox would be willing to hand this franchise back over to Marvel?

I know that I want to see the movie, but I also know that I will not pay $10-$15 to see it in theatres, and will most likely wait until it is streaming (months later) and will be willing to do Amazon $4.99 streaming. I think it will depend on reviews. As someone else mentioned, I might even wait until it's at Red Box.

-Terry

Not much of a chance unless Disney ponies up some cash. Otherwise Fox can just sit on the property and either try again or wait until the rights revert to Disney when time runs out.

Marvel wouldn't really be able to use these characters in a solo movie regardless. If this attempt fails, the appetite for movie going audiences to see yet another FF reboot will be pretty small. FF is not Spider-Man. Even the last Spider-Man made quite a bit of money at the movies.

Once the superhero movies have run their course and audiences move onto the next big thing, then you'll see Marvel/Disney get back all their properties.

Edited by rjrjr

But what's failure?

This could tank domestically Terminator 5-style at $90 million & still pull a solid $350-$400 million worldwide.

Because it looks like a decent sci-fi flick even without the comic book connection, and should play well as such overseas.

That's my argument about the disconnect in this thread. It looks like a fun summer flick & should play as such to Joe Q. Public.

It's only the hardcore FF nerds who seem pissed that it's based on Ultimate FF rather than the original Kirby run. Oh, and whining that it's not Disney. And that Johnny Storm's not white.

Again -- the first two FF films weren't any good, but they did very well at the box office despite that.