• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Romance Collectors Thread
7 7

514 posts in this topic

Hey, Doc..... do you hold out for a specific grade on these or do you fill in with any copy and then upgrade ? I ask because your examples are usually very nice. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hey jimbo...not enough $ to go the upgrade route. It's watch and wait for what I would call a nice book. I've tried to hold the line at 7.0-7.5 minimum. In some cases I've been more successful than others.

and thank you. Of course, I'm generally not posting my beaters - I've got em, though, you can be sure!

The condition of these books is remarkable considering how romance comic book readers didn't collect their books the same way that superhero readers did.

It's a bit like walking through a museum.

Thanks rodan. So true for the girls, for the most part. There is one gal that did come closest to what you would call an original owner collection. She signed her books on the cover, and I would come across them sporadically over the years. Finally I came to realize how broad her romance interests were. And I saw her signature change as she grew older.

The only substantial romance collections to survive through the years were all the work of mature men, like Church, Crippen, Crowley, etc. Romance was on the stands, very much so in the early 50's, so they got swept up in across the board purchasing.

Nobody collected just romance for the love of the genre. And then came Michelle Nolan. If you are at all interested in the subject, buy her "Love on the Racks". As the saying goes, "she wrote the book", literally.

I give you: The Nancy Wessner Collection. Most of these are images I've grabbed, not books I own. It really doesn't qualify as a real collection, of course - I think the most I've seen are 20-30 books. But it gives you some idea of how what was so common for boys, was so rare for girls.

YouthfulRomances03fc100_zpszi0gnplu.jpg

BestLove36_zpssquyegna.jpg

LoveRomances44_zpshvlherwy.jpg

RomanticMarriage13f_zpszkz6s1rq.jpg

TrueSecrets13f_blissard02152015_zpskx77ic20.jpg

teenage_romances41_zps0mtgd6ip.jpg

SaddleRomances09f_1198110004_zpspypt8v9v.jpg

BoyMeetsGirl03100_zps5mht62bg.jpg

FlamingLovef_zpsxzws3utt.jpg

MySecretLife22_zpsfbqj8yxy.jpg

And I will be posting more DC. Some of the books have an artist attribution, by indexers mainly. I'll note where available. But most did not. DC had a house style for romance, and artists were supposed to get with the program. It wasn't until the late '50's collaboration of the great editor Phyllis Reed and young artist John Romita that a distinctive style, Romita's style, developed.

Stan Lee likes to tell the tale of the groundbreaking novel development in comic book production. For years, the industry standard was the book moved from a written -script to the artist's table. Stan takes credit for flipping that around, whereby the editor tossed out the general plot line, the artist worked it up without strict guidelines, and then the narrative got put in afterwards.

But DC did that first. With Reed and Romita. Romita did stand on the shoulders of other greats, however. We'll look at those first.

after a brief hiatus

I like the grey coloring on this one. That's a palette not used too often. and the back cover is one of the house ads DC used during this period for general promotion. They are lovely works of art by themselves.

HeartThrobs65fc_zpsu4cpbytn.jpg

HeartThrobs65bc_zpsxnakiqqw.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

The issue that I want is that stupid Irish Girl cover that I cant find in decent shape anywhere..... and that Ferris Wheel cover that some boardies wife also likes :sorry: GOD BLESS...

The issue that I want is that stupid Irish Girl cover that I cant find in decent shape anywhere..... and that Ferris Wheel cover that some boardies wife also likes :sorry: GOD BLESS...

What title/issue are those, jimbo?