• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

Felix, I think I can safely say Steve is his biggest attacker. I can accept that but what I cannot accept is for over the last year I have asked Steve to simply explain his position on the lobby card deal with bob in which bob has yet to be paid and Steve still has the lobby cards. Why is this so difficult and it is not just me the moderators can check my pm list... I am not the only here who wants a simple answer so I too can walk away from this Felix. Then everybody can move on

I like you Mitch. You are a very passionate collector. I admire the fact that you are going to the defence of a friend even though it is obvious his ship has sailed, I mean sunk. Even though you you are facing overwhelming odds. (must be the lawyer in you). But let it go.

I like and respect Steve very much as well. He is a straight shooter and also a very passionate collector. His business with Bob is private. It is obviously none of your or any one else's business. His restraint is very commendable here. He isn't the only one who has had bad dealings with Bob either by a long shot.

I would suggest you take your "crusade" over to the thread he mentioned so I can ignore it.

I am here to see cool books. What ever this collection is called, who originally assembled it, or where it came from really doesn't matter. This is one of the best collections on record.

I came on these boards to have some fun and show you all some of my acculumination of junk. I've bared my soul and as you call it "manned-up". Seems like all you have done is defend your crooked buddy and give us your HA opinions. I have jokingly asked you to also "man-up" and give back to these boards as I have. I have yet to see anything in your collection. For once and all, let us know why you are holding out? I guess, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter much, but I for one would like to know why?

I keep asking people to over ride this jibberish and post some cool books here. Lets drown this out with four color treasure. What is YOUR excuse? I have only one book from this collection and I've shown it. I don't care if you have posted yours before, do it again. Let's get this thread back on track.

And Mitch, "Mays" if you mean Willie is already in the BB Hall of Fame. He's old and retired and as far as I'm concerned, he can drink as much as he wants. If he did it as a player, he wouldn't be there. By the way, calling addiction a "sickness" or "disease" is a bit of a cop out. It is a weakness and a character flaw that can be cured if you want to. (I know)

I know most of you want this argument to die, but i have to agree with Calhoun and Mitch...there are accusations on this board that Bob cannot reply to, and there are questions some of us might be able to answer to set the record straight. I don't see why those questions are so hard to answer...I'm fairly new to this bruhaha, so I don't know the facts. I guess that's why I'm neutral...but...it seems some of it could be solved by a Lobby Card explanation from Steve. I'm open to whatever people want to share here. If I had any Reilly books I'd post 'em, but I don't...except for that Startling 32... lol

I know most of you want this argument to die, but i have to agree with Calhoun and Mitch...there are accusations on this board that Bob cannot reply to, and there are questions some of us might be able to answer to set the record straight. I don't see why those questions are so hard to answer...I'm fairly new to this bruhaha, so I don't know the facts. I guess that's why I'm neutral...but...it seems some of it could be solved by a Lobby Card explanation from Steve. I'm open to whatever people want to share here. If I had any Reilly books I'd post 'em, but I don't...except for that Startling 32... lol

Shall we move over?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8780988#Post8780988

Brian, go back and read this thread. He had his chance here and all he did was fume and scream and slam everybody here. This is a free chatsite by CGC. It really is stupid to attack the "hand that feeds you". CGC was right to boot him no matter how much fun a lot of people had with it. He ain't never get back on here. I don't "do" Facebook but he seems to be doing the same thing there. How hard is it to admit you were wrong and apologize. It would sure go along way.

Again, any business between Steve and Bob is none of anybody's buisness except theirs. He don't have to explain to any one if he doesn't want to.

Go post something fun in my thread. I'd like the amusement.

Where are them books boys?

Since I am the one who brought Bob back front and center to this thread I wanted to throw my 2Cents in.

I am hopeful to a resolution to my situation, perhaps within a week.

With behind the scenes discussions I believe that Bob is coming through with a nice shipment of Four Colors. I had a long pleasant conversation with Bob the other day.

I believe that there were misunderstandings, and that Bob’s sad situations got in the way.

Well perhaps coupled with the long term ramifications of the counter culture movement of the 60’s, especially in the San Francisco area. At 60 I am a little too young, and from Omaha so I unable to have experienced the "Summer of Love"

I do believe that there are at LEAST two if not 3 sides to every situation. I cannot imagine many of the still living LOOONG time shop owners/dealers being willing to come here and suffer the slings and arrows that the internet affords Can you imagine what Chuck would open himself up to if he were a member? I remember when SNE came on and Dan tried to explain his side of things. Honestly I was one of his worst critics

There was a great passage of time in this transaction, but actually not even close to as long as I have had a transaction in the works with another boardie. I believe that one is over 6 years.

Like I said I am hopeful of a very positive transaction.

you are a lawyer? these threads get blipped so often hard to keep track, but I believe we can best judge situation with all the facts from both sides, and the lobby card story is part of the mix and others with spotless reputations have asked nicely. What I object to, not covering for Bob, is the way 'one side' can steer the conversation wherever with impunity, but if anyone else asks for info they're stonewalled. If Steve sets us straight it's another factor we can integrate into our views on the situation.

It might be easier keeping track if you asked who here isn't a lawyer. FTR, I didn't pass the bar! (*hic!*). :insane:

Since I am the one who brought Bob back front and center to this thread I wanted to throw my 2Cents in.

I am hopeful to a resolution to my situation, perhaps within a week.

With behind the scenes discussions I believe that Bob is coming through with a nice shipment of Four Colors. I had a long pleasant conversation with Bob the other day.

I believe that there were misunderstandings, and that Bob’s sad situations got in the way.

Well perhaps coupled with the long term ramifications of the counter culture movement of the 60’s, especially in the San Francisco area. At 60 I am a little too young, and from Omaha so I unable to have experienced the "Summer of Love"

I do believe that there are at LEAST two if not 3 sides to every situation. I cannot imagine many of the still living LOOONG time shop owners/dealers being willing to come here and suffer the slings and arrows that the internet affords Can you imagine what Chuck would open himself up to if he were a member? I remember when SNE came on and Dan tried to explain his side of things. Honestly I was one of his worst critics

There was a great passage of time in this transaction, but actually not even close to as long as I have had a transaction in the works with another boardie. I believe that one is over 6 years.

Like I said I am hopeful of a very positive transaction.

:headbang::applause:

I went into this thread to read about this pedigree and end up reading the last 8 pages about Robert Beerbohm! Seriously??

I apologize for the long post, but this whole situation boils my blood.

As a neutral reader wanting to know and see more on this pedigree collection, I was dismayed reading more information on a comic historian and dealer rather than the collection over the last few pages.

People don’t really care about the legacy of Robert Beerbohm. He is not a comic book creator just a fan of the hobby that wrote about the history and made quite a bit of money from unsuspecting people selling their collections back in the early days.

Case in point, this pedigree collection most likely was purchased at 50% or less than guide from the couple that practically gift-wrapped this collection by walking into the Berkley Comic Convention where dealers became vultures to the point the couple realizing they are getting ripped off end up leaving the convention with what remained of the collection.

Then Beerbohm and company end up buying 4,000 books from the couple flipping Detective Comics #27 for $2,200 bringing in more publicity for people to bring in their collections to his shop Comics and Comix.

I’m sure that one sale of Detective Comics #27 made up a lot of the money back for what the entire collection would have been purchased for.

The one hallmark of a successful comic business is treating both buyers and sellers with respect. The fact is; Comics and Comix are no longer in business after profiting from a great collection like this pedigree. It makes one wonder why this is the case? Maybe not…

Look at Chuck Rozanski expanding his business after finding Edgar Church’s books and then marking up these gems 10x guide or more. These dealers squandered their good fortune and then years later complain about being hard hit. This is what is called Karma.

You would think a comic historian or dealer would have been smart enough at that time to keep some of the more historically best book(s) for his own personal collection if they really were into the whole history of comic books in general.

Instead guys like Beerbohm and Rozanski went for the almighty dollar and sold off the best books like Detective Comics #27 or Action Comics #1 then lament years later about the “big mistake.”

There is more respect for dealers today like Bedrock, Gator, Vintage Comics, Bob Storms, guys that have to compete with the internet today and sellers trying to tell these dealers their 1990’s drek is worth thousands of dollars!

In the early days before the Internet it was easier for dealers to get books for much cheaper.

Just goes to show you that the dealers named above are some of the better people in the comic business today helping collectors assemble their collections without having much hassle.

Some…not all of the dealers from the past I find are hardest to deal with, but the ones that started from the early 1990’s onward are more often than not the better ones today. 2c

Just had to get this off my chest! :frustrated:

Now let’s get back to talking about this awesome pedigree collection.

This hobby sure attracts characters

All organizations do, but we're a little more emotionally attached to our treasures so that really puts a spin on things! lol

There is more respect for dealers today like Bedrock, Gator, Vintage Comics, Bob Storms, guys that have to compete with the internet today and sellers trying to tell these dealers their 1990’s drek is worth thousands of dollars!

In the early days before the Internet it was easier for dealers to get books for much cheaper.

Just goes to show you that the dealers named above are some of the better people in the comic business today helping collectors assemble their collections without having much hassle.

Yep. (thumbs u

I've always wondered if the first name on the Reilly stamp was 'Alfie'.